Can't send picture messages?

1fastmr2

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Galaxy Nexus on the 27th. So far I really enjoy the phone, but I'm using the 14 days to test it and to make sure there aren't any major issues.

Yesterday had the 4g/3g outage, so that was kind of a bust as far as "testing" it goes.

Anyways--4g is back today, but I can't send picture messages. I've tried both Handscent and the stock messenger app, and neither will work. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled Handscent, tried toggling airplane mode, tried shutting the phone off and on, etc.

Anyone have any ideas? Do you think this is related to the outage from yesterday, or is it specifically my phone?

Thanks.

I had the same issue one night. I could not MMS any photos I had taken at a car show. I was on the phone with verizon for over an hour. They had no idea why it was doing it. They wanted me to do a hard reset on the phone. I siad OK......what about my photos? I have no SD card. The person said they did not know the nexus did not have an SD card!!

gsxraddict

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue one night. I could not MMS any photos I had taken at a car show. I was on the phone with verizon for over an hour. They had no idea why it was doing it. They wanted me to do a hard reset on the phone. I siad OK......what about my photos? I have no SD card. The person said they did not know the nexus did not have an SD card!!

Haha better yet when the gnex launched I took it to get a sim card issue fixed the Verizon employee said "what phone is this" wow I thought the she booted it up she's like "what? It does have any sound" during the boot animation haha Verizon employees smh

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
As far as I am aware, you cannot send/receive MMS on wifi with this phone, so you gotta use 3g/4g. For a while, I assumed this was intentional for a reason relating to your SMS/MMS texting plan and having to be on verizon's network, but after discovering that this is not an issue on my sister's iphone, I'm quite confused.

anon(40252)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Yup .. been having this issue for some time now. Rebooting sometimes helps. Clearing all text messages sometimes helps.

I find that jumping from the camera app to sending an MMS almost always results in failure. I have better luck with launching the gallery separately and sending from there.

Sometimes I just have to send two or three times. They eventually all say sent and sometimes the recipient gets them all ... but usually they only get one.

It is really frustrating .. hoping an update fixes.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
My wife seems to have this problem as well. Only on wifi like some of you have said. I would think that the device would use the network to send the mms message and override wifi just to send something needing network coverage. She's getting really irritated with it as well. Rebooting the device seems rather silly to me as well. I hope there's a fix soon released for her sake and as well as all of yours. We're all in the same boat

Dropped from Liquid Nexus via Tapatalk2

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I tested the scenario myself on my phone. Sent a picture while on wifi and it sent. I'm not sure what the issue is. My wife asked me if it was a rom issue. (We're both unlocked and rooted) then it made me think that it may be. Or maybe a radio issue. Just a thought. I'm on liquid1.1 and she's on liquid1.0

Dropped from Liquid Nexus via Tapatalk2

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
why send MMS again? I thought they were getting rid of this terrible system... email the pictures and enjoy full rez...

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Just stop using MMS, it's going away. Sprint actually announced they are ending their picture mail April 30th.
Pictures are becoming larger and support for MMS is becoming non-existent since there are dozens of other much better and free options for sharing pictures.

slave2theaxe

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have this problem intermittently...I have been able to send pics at times, but most of the time they get hung up and never send.

I've tried this with wi-fi on and off with the problem happening either way. I'm not currently in a 4g area so I'm set to CDMA only. Stock, running 4.0.2

Hope this is addressed in the next update. It's not a deal breaker for me...more of an inconvenience, but it would be nice to have this basic functionality in such a high end phone.

That said, this is the only issue I have had with this phone, so overall I'm very happy with my decision to get this phone over the RAZR.

migespy

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
It is for sure the wifi. You maybe able to sneak one by while on wifi; however, being on wifi is what seems to be the issue. I posted the question on VZW's support forum and the response from VZW was its a known wifi issue.

slave2theaxe

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It is for sure the wifi. You maybe able to sneak one by while on wifi; however, being on wifi is what seems to be the issue. I posted the question on VZW's support forum and the response from VZW was its a known wifi issue.

Funny thing...after the issues I had for about a week, my phone started sending pics just fine. I haven't had a problem since...Wifi on or off.

Maybe it was just a glitch in the matrix.

Doug Ver

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Gsxaddict,

I can't thank you enough. I was having this problem, too. Tmob tech support had me reset my phone to factory defaults. That appeared to solve the problem, but it started happening again.

After reloading all my apps, I was not looking forward to another reset, so I went to this forum and found your solution. I turned of the wifi and turned on the data.

Problem solved.

n0obpr0

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I had a similiar issue with my OG Droid at one point. I attached a picture to a text and it will just say "sending" but it never did. Took it to a verizon store and they gave me another phone.

anon(40252)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I wish people would stop saying Sprint is getting rid of MMS. They are NOT getting rid of MMS ... just the website that was used to manage and store picture messages.

Sending and receiving will still work on Sprint from phone to phone.

Also this problem still exists for me ... and sometimes it is just easier to send an mms in a chat.

harleyflh1

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I found this in another forum and it worked. I did not have the icon on my home page and did not have to do the last step of "dragging it back to my home screen". Now this was done on an original Galaxy Nexus in the standard messaging app, but my Handscent App also is working now where it wasn't before as well. Hope this helps! If it does, spread the word!

"I was having the same issues as most comments above. The message would just stay in the "SENDING..." position and never actually send. Sometimes and red error message would notify that is was unable to send.
Anyways here's what I did to solve it. (my brother has the same phone and was also having issues, i explained how to do this to him and it also worked for him)
Go in to Settings--Apps--All, Find the "MESSAGING" app and open. When you are in MESSAGING, click DISABLE. Next, click CLEAR DATA. (a warning will tell you that you will loose all your data and messages, click OK.(all of my messages were saved)). Now, click ENABLE. Exit to the home screen, go into the APPs manager (white circle with 6 dots) and find the MESSAGING icon. press, hold and drag it back to you home screen.
Try sending a MMS message, it should work now. Did for me, did for my brother. Hope I've helped, and hopefully this is a permanent fix. I've been sending more pictures now a day later and it still works."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty