Manually Backing Up Apps

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi-

I am going to exchange my much loved Galaxy Nexus for another (due to a manufacturing defect in the screen), and I wanted to back up all of my apps.

One of the apps that I have was gifted to me by the developer, so when I wipe the device, my guess is that it won't reload on my new Galaxy Nexus (since it shows that the application was refunded by the developer when I look at my apps drawer on Android Market). Is there any way that I can save the app manually, so that I can reload it onto my replacement phone? MyBackup gives an option to save to SD card, but I was hoping it'd have an option to save to a file on a connected PC.

I'm completely new to Android (am a former BB user, so please go easy on me.

Thanks in advance!

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
You cannot back up the actual app itself without rooting your device. Some apps will allow you to backup the data from that app, but there is no way to backup the app file itself, and simply reinstall it after. You'll have to hope the dev remembers you :p

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You cannot back up the actual app itself without rooting your device. Some apps will allow you to backup the data from that app, but there is no way to backup the app file itself, and simply reinstall it after. You'll have to hope the dev remembers you :p

Actually I think you have that backwards. An app like MyBackup will back an app up on your SD card without root access - to back the data from that app up is what you need root access for.

MyBackup gives an option to save to SD card, but I was hoping it'd have an option to save to a file on a connected PC.

I use MyBackup Pro, and my apps are copied to "/rerware/MyBackup" on my SD card. It should be the same or similar directory for you. Once you back the app up, plug your phone into a computer and copy that directory to your hard drive.

Be aware that the free version of MyBackup will only restore apps to the same phone. You may need to buy the Pro version to restore onto a different phone.

Sent from my Nexus S

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Actually I think you have that backwards. An app like MyBackup will back an app up on your SD card without root access - to back the data from that app up is what you need root access for.

You are correct - I'm not thinking clearly... Obviously I'm past that point where my brain stops functioning correctly.

And on that note, goodnight :p