Google (Cloud) Music Organization

wootang00

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Hello Nexus Users,

Coming from an iPhone i'm new to this Google Music thing.. but i'm having problems finding out the CORRECT way to organize Google Music so it displays correctly. At the moment.. all of my music (15,000 songs) seem to be all jumbled up everywhere and its driving me insane.

It seems as though you CANNOT correct tags on Google Music via Web Browser.. and even if you make changes to the file tag on the mp3 on the computer.. Google Music wont seem to detect a tag change to make updates to the file name / album / artist / etc.

Also.. does Google Music read playlists files and make playlists accordingly? It seems as though the only way to do it is go into the Web Browser and manually make playlists... thats just tedious to look for individual songs and make it.. normally in iTunes i just make a playlist and have a folder with a top 50 mix on my desktop and drag and drop...

Is there anyone who is super meticulous about this who has gotten this to work correctly?
Any detailed steps would be greatly appreciated. I've looked around.. and no one seems to have addressed much of these things..

Thanks in advance!

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
You know what I use to match up all the info on a album? ITunes. Lol only thing I use it for. It works well but I also believe you can do the same edits in windows media player.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello Nexus Users,

Coming from an iPhone i'm new to this Google Music thing.. but i'm having problems finding out the CORRECT way to organize Google Music so it displays correctly. At the moment.. all of my music (15,000 songs) seem to be all jumbled up everywhere and its driving me insane.

It seems as though you CANNOT correct tags on Google Music via Web Browser.. and even if you make changes to the file tag on the mp3 on the computer.. Google Music wont seem to detect a tag change to make updates to the file name / album / artist / etc.

Also.. does Google Music read playlists files and make playlists accordingly? It seems as though the only way to do it is go into the Web Browser and manually make playlists... thats just tedious to look for individual songs and make it.. normally in iTunes i just make a playlist and have a folder with a top 50 mix on my desktop and drag and drop...

Is there anyone who is super meticulous about this who has gotten this to work correctly?
Any detailed steps would be greatly appreciated. I've looked around.. and no one seems to have addressed much of these things..

Thanks in advance!

You can edit tags in the browser. When you hover over the song it should give you the little 'more' arrow on the right side, and if you click on that you'll get an 'edit info' option.

As for playlists; I had all of mine set up in iTunes, and it read (and uploaded) all of them.

wootang00

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
You can edit tags in the browser. When you hover over the song it should give you the little 'more' arrow on the right side, and if you click on that you'll get an 'edit info' option.

As for playlists; I had all of mine set up in iTunes, and it read (and uploaded) all of them.

Ok.. lets say for example.. you changed a MP3 tag in iTunes..

"Alicia Keeys" .. noticed it was wrong.. and changed it correctly to "Alicia Keys" in iTunes.. would that auto correct in Google Music?

jpbass7

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I have about 6000 tracks in iTunes, many of which were ripped from my CD collection, so GraceNote filled in a lot of the info. When I uploaded my iTunes library to Google Music, my organization was suddenly a mess. I especially had trouble with 'Greatest Hits' albums. (For example, Al Green's 'Greatest Hits' had a bunch of tracks from Earth Wind & Fire's 'Greatest Hits' in it)

What I discovered is that Google Music is *very* picky about the 'Album Artist' tag. Most of my iTunes library had no 'Album Artist', and this was causing all the problems. The brute force solution was spending an afternoon cleaning up the 'Album Artist' tags on the Google Music web interface. (Normally, I would try to find a way to automate this, but I just wanted it fixed!)

As for the question of whether iTunes tag changes are propagated to Google Music, I don't know. :-\

Hope this helps. Cheers.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I have about 6000 tracks in iTunes, many of which were ripped from my CD collection, so GraceNote filled in a lot of the info. When I uploaded my iTunes library to Google Music, my organization was suddenly a mess. I especially had trouble with 'Greatest Hits' albums. (For example, Al Green's 'Greatest Hits' had a bunch of tracks from Earth Wind & Fire's 'Greatest Hits' in it)

What I discovered is that Google Music is *very* picky about the 'Album Artist' tag. Most of my iTunes library had no 'Album Artist', and this was causing all the problems. The brute force solution was spending an afternoon cleaning up the 'Album Artist' tags on the Google Music web interface. (Normally, I would try to find a way to automate this, but I just wanted it fixed!)

As for the question of whether iTunes tag changes are propagated to Google Music, I don't know. :-\

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Sort by album on the greatest hits stuff. Should make it right. If your sorted by artist it will show all individual artists. I keep mine by album so I can get a whole CD at a time.

jpbass7

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Sort by album on the greatest hits stuff. Should make it right. If your sorted by artist it will show all individual artists. I keep mine by album so I can get a whole CD at a time.

At least in my case, it was still messing up when sorting by album. The thing that fixed it was filling in 'Album Artist' in addition to 'Artist'. It was not an issue with tracks I bought/downloaded, since they have 'Album Artist' filled in. I just happen to have *a lot* of tracks ripped from CDs (because I'm old), and I had to fix them.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
It seems as though you CANNOT correct tags on Google Music via Web Browser..

Yes, you can. I do it all the time. Go to the album. Click the triangle that appears next to the bottom right of the album cover. Choose edit album info. You can also edit individual song info.

anon(525422)

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I think the only sure way to ensure an update is the ultimate brute force way: delete the album via the browser and have the Google Music Manager tool rescan and reupload the tracks.

Honestly, the Music Manager upload tool is a hot mess anyway. Horrible little utility. Even the Amazon MP3 upload tool is vastly superior... and that's saying something. That in mind, I'd definitely go the delete/reupload route.

credo

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I want to use Google Play more, but the way it reads (or doesn't read) album info totally sucks. I'm sticking to Amazon for now.

Last edited:

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
maybe i am just not that picky, but Gmusic is working wonders for me. whenever i upload a new song, i just go in there and edit the file manually and add album art and its done. i have organized roughly 10K songs. thankfully when i used the zune software, almost everything went in perfect so i didn't have MUCH to do other than the album art.

credo

May 1, 2010
Visit site
If the competition had the same problem, then I would put up with the editing after uploading my hundreds of albums. But, Google is the only one with this issue. Apple- no issues. Amazon - no issues. Google Play - issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

alknight1976

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
It seems like its really music play that has the problem! And its not that im a total looser at organising my files! Phew!! :D

Last edited:

alknight1976

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
]All i see on that little triangle is:
play
add to playlist
remove from queue
more by artist
shop for artist
delete
NO EDIT button anywhere!!! Going crazy here... :) I must be doing something wrong!
LK

Yes, you can. I do it all the time. Go to the album. Click the triangle that appears next to the bottom right of the album cover. Choose edit album info. You can also edit individual song info

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
]All i see on that little triangle is:
play
add to playlist
remove from queue
more by artist
shop for artist
delete
NO EDIT button anywhere!!! Going crazy here... :) I must be doing something wrong!
LK

editalbum.jpg

awriternot

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I just ran across this. My computer library is a mess too. I notice that when I try and clean that up, it re-uploads the stuff!! I'm using Media Monkey Gold to fix everything in my music library but the lack of UI of Play Music is driving me insane. I mean, really. It's frustrating as all get out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non