Not to Stir up the pot again... but.... 4.0.4 coming on Nexus S??

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Not to Stir up the pot again... but.... 4.0.4 coming on Nexus

I think Google forgot about the galaxy nexus.

I'm thinking more optimistic in assuming that when this build is released we will get the same release for the Gnex. I'll bet 4.0.3 was just for tablets without a CDMA or LTE radio while 4.0.4 will have the radios included.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
There go goes all those asop roms google has swapped scource code

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I'm thinking more optimistic in assuming that when this build is released we will get the same release for the Gnex. I'll bet 4.0.3 was just for tablets without a CDMA or LTE radio while 4.0.4 will have the radios included.

While it's possible they may decide to just jump to 4.0.4. for the GN...

Android 4.0.3 from AOSP works straight out of the box for the following devices (per Jean-Baptiste Queru, Google AOSP Software Engineer): Galaxy Nexus (the ones sold with mysid and yakju builds), on Motorola Xoom (US variants), and on Nexus S (all variants). Mysid being the build for Verizon's Nexus (toro). Source: The source code for Android 4.0.3 is now available - Android Building | Google Groups

So 4.0.3 wasn't really just for tablets. The radios and other device specific firmware doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the OS version that I'm aware of...

sfbates

Jan 24, 2011
www.twitter.com

Just remember that those poor people who just cropped $300 +tax on a razor and are running 2.3. Feel bad for them :) . I bet we see this on the gnex soon. Unless it is only optimized for the nexus s, after all I heard it wasn't running that great on a nexus s.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

While it's possible they may decide to just jump to 4.0.4. for the GN...

Android 4.0.3 from AOSP works straight out of the box for the following devices (per Jean-Baptiste Queru, Google AOSP Software Engineer): Galaxy Nexus (the ones sold with mysid and yakju builds), on Motorola Xoom (US variants), and on Nexus S (all variants). Mysid being the build for Verizon's Nexus (toro). Source: The source code for Android 4.0.3 is now available - Android Building | Google Groups

So 4.0.3 wasn't really just for tablets. The radios and other device specific firmware doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the OS version that I'm aware of...

Well no, I am aware that there are many roms out there that are built around 4.0.3 so I'm not actually saying that it was made specifically for tablets, I just mean that the official one that went out OTA might have been. With the phones We're probably just going to see 4.0.4 officially. Sorry for the confusion.

As for ICS running choppy on the Nexus S, in the XDA forum that is linked in the site that I have above, many users are saying that this 4.0.4 update is smoother than most of the 4.0.3 Roms out right now, including the failed OTA Verizon put out in December. Granted it's also not an OTA update, but still sounds promising for them.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Ice Cream Sandwich build (4.0.4) leaked for the Nexus S 4G, looks to be release quality

This could mean exactly what many people were assuming... that google was going to skip 4.0.3 for the Gnex and go right to 4.0.4.

Yes, this article talks about the Nexus S getting it, but it could mean that its coming for us to0.

You do realize that the Nexus S 4G is still officially on Android 2.3.7, right? It's that phone's turn to get its (first) update to Ice Cream Sandwich.

Reactions: Paul627g

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

You do realize that the Nexus S 4G is still officially on Android 2.3.7, right? It's that phone's turn to get its (first) update to Ice Cream Sandwich.

Yes, I am aware. The first update was botched. But for what reason was the first update botched?

Was it any of the same reasons that GNex owners are complaining about their phones?

They are two different pieces of hardware, yes. But they are both going to be Stock ICS in the end, thus my speculation as to whether or not this might mean an update is around the corner for us too.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Yes, I am aware. The first update was botched. But for what reason was the first update botched?

Was it any of the same reasons that GNex owners are complaining about their phones?

They are two different pieces of hardware, yes. But they are both going to be Stock ICS in the end, thus my speculation as to whether or not this might mean an update is around the corner for us too.

You've confusing phones. The Nexus S (GSM) version got 4.0.3 pushed out OTA, the push was stopped, then they resumed pushing the same update.

The Nexus S 4G (CDMA) has never had an official ICS update, not even for a day.

Reactions: Paul627g

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

You've confusing phones. The Nexus S (GSM) version got 4.0.3 pushed out OTA, the push was stopped, then they resumed pushing the same update.

As a NS4G owner, I can confirm this... We never got a chance at any official ICS update. It doesn't bother me really, I prefer running rooted custom ROMs and our 4.0.3 based builds have been completely awesome :)

I do find it unfair that we being part of the Nexus family and promised the ICS update have had to wait it out for an official sampling of Ice Cream Sandwich goodness.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Oh, okay. My mistake and apologies.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Oh, okay. My mistake and apologies.

No need to apologize. I suppose it is all relative though - being "stuck" on 4.0.2 doesn't seem so bad when you see other Nexus owners still on 2.3.7 :)

The bulk of 4.0.4 is probably just a WiMAX radio, Google Wallet and integrated Google Voice for Sprint customers anyway.

Sent from my Nexus S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non