GN or Wait

dbermanmd

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
My two and new is due in two weeks.

I am completely sold on the GN over all the current Android devices Verizon offers.

Q? Should I get the GN or wait if there is a new Android device or updated GN heading to Verizon in the next month or two?

Waiting is no big deal here. I am currently using my BB Storm 1 who recently celebrated its 38th month birthday.

Thank you for your advice in advance.

David

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My two and new is due in two weeks.

I am completely sold on the GN over all the current Android devices Verizon offers.

Q? Should I get the GN or wait if there is a new Android device or updated GN heading to Verizon in the next month or two?

Waiting is no big deal here. I am currently using my BB Storm 1 who recently celebrated its 38th month birthday.

Thank you for your advice in advance.

David
There will always be something bigger and better on the horizon. Especially if Motorola continues on the path that it is going on right now. In a couple of months they may have another two or three versions of the RAZR out by then.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I bought my GN on launch day. If I had my upgrade to use all over again today, it's the only phone I would get. You can play the waiting game forever looking at what's coming, but this is the only bloat free, skin free Nexus that Verizon has and it can't be beat. It's the best phone I've ever owned. The developer support for this device is amazing if you have the slightest interest in trying out different ROMs.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
If you're a hacker...absolutely don't wait. The development scene on this phone is phenomenal. If you like to flash stuff, you can't beat this phone. I can't even imagine what its going to be like a couple months down the road. Probably cook breakfast and wash your car.

If you don't care for all that stuff...just wait. Seems maybe there will be some nice devices coming down the pike as is the norm with this android scene. I don't even care to clamor over future devices as this is one helluva phone. :D

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought my GN on launch day. If I had my upgrade to use all over again today, it's the only phone I would get. You can play the waiting game forever looking at what's coming, but this is the only bloat free, skin free Nexus that Verizon has and it can't be beat. It's the best phone I've ever owned. The developer support for this device is amazing if you have the slightest interest in trying out different ROMs.

This. I see the "Wait or take the dive" question all the time. The reality of the situation is if you are waiting for the next best thing, when that next best thing finally comes out there will be another next best thing for you to wait for. This is especially true with cell phones.

If you have made up your mind about the Gnex, have looked over all the positives, and all the current negatives, and have decided that it is something you think you would honestly be happy with, then get it.

As stated above, Dev support for a Nexus phone is second to none, and because many apps are made and tested on the nexus phones themselves, you are almost guaranteed great compatibility with any of the newer apps out there.

I love mine, you wouldn't catch me dead trading it for anything else.

foug

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
get the GN now...with as old as your phone is, you won't regret it. I came from a three year old iphone 3g, my nexus still feels new to me and I bought it on launch day

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty much in the same situation as the OP, except that I'll be ready mid-March to upgrade from my DX. What a great dilemma to have, though - surrounded by great current choices, and future possibilities.

First and foremost, though, looking at all of the pros and cons of each device, I keep coming back to the Nexus aspect of it dominating my decision, with its minimal carrier bloat, no manufacturer skins, and the resulting faster release of future updates, plus the better development activity.

The GN hardware and feature set is a bit lacking, though, so I could just wait until the next Nexus release, but there is no telling whether the next one will be available on Verizon, and I don't want to switch carriers. At this moment, I'm 95% convinced my next phone will be the GN.

rayzaname

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
If you want the most current stock Android experience on Verizon, chances are the Galaxy Nexus is your best bet for most of 2012. I'm sure the price will come down in the following months, so it depends on how long you want to wait.

With that said... I must give you A LOT of props for still using the 1st gen Storm. I bought one shortly after launch, and since moved on to the Gen2 Storm, Droid Incredible, HTC ThunderBolt, and now the Nexus. This is honestly the first phone that I am 100% satisfied with (The Incredible came really close). Go for it!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

You will not see a newer Nexus on Verizon until ~December 2012, as the Nexus phones are released in a yearly cycle. Of course there will be other newer Android devices released before than every few months, just like there has been and will continue to be. But remember, newer doesn't always mean better ;)

Eleer

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Sounds a lot like the type of question I would ask if I was eligible for an upgrade soon. Cutting to the chase, get the phone, you will not regret it. My expectations have never been exceeded and this phone has done so. Great messaging, great phone/voice calls, great size, extremely vibrant screen, great apps, very fast/zippy, and last but not least, it is stock Android Ice Cream Sandwich. Can't get any better than that. Get it, pronto.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Even then, do you think it is likely or certain that the next Nexus will be available on Verizon?

Yes, if history is any indication. Sprint was the first CDMA carrier to get a Nexus (Nexus S 4G), and they are scheduled to get the next incarnation (Galaxy Nexus) as well. I see no reason to continue making a CDMA Nexus, especially with the money Google must be raking in.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I got my nexus on launch day as well,actually the first in line ha when the store opened.
I havent looked back since,im also due for an upgrade in 2 months but doubt i will upgrade that phone then.
:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
The Storm 1? Dude, you are gonna be go happy with this phone. I wouldn't wait another second. Anybody who could deal with "The Icee of Smartphones" for 3 years deserves a great phone. Welcome to the forum.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
This phone should keep you happy for at least a year if not two. Dev support is amazing as has been said.
I think its a safe bet there won't be anything worth getting on vzw in the next 2-3 months, bc nothing interesting was displayed at ces or mwc anyway.
So if you like the Gnex best of verizon's lineup right now, i think you should go for it.

Cant beat the screen, its lightweight, even tho its large it feels very manageable in the hand (go hold on to a thunderbolt for a minute and see what i mean).

All in all a great phone, which should only get better bc its stock android, which is moving in a good direction these days with ics.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I would get the GN if I were you, I don't see anything coming and being much better in the next 6 months to a year. If you survived with the S1 for that long the GN could last you up to the next five years and you'll still be happy.

killroy420

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I did hear a rumor on one of my tech podcasts that an updated galaxy nexus with a better camera may be coming, but it might just bee the Spring version....either way Mobile World Congress is in a week or so (right before you go buy your phone); if nothing is announced there, then I see no reason to wait.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
My gnex was just shipped from Amazon today. I am very sure I will be satisfied with it. Coming from Sprint to Verizon it should be nice. Oh yeah goodbye to my HTC Evo 3d :D!!!!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch