Just upgraded to Nexus, having some issues.

Texas Nation

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Had a Droid 2 and I needed to upgrade for one big reason. I guard a gate at a construction site and nothing happens so I spend all day watching Netflix, problem is with the Droid 2 I was dead within 3-4 hours. So I upgraded to the Nexus and have two big issues so far...

1. Almost everything has crashed at some point so far, even settings trying to play ringtones, Facebook, contacts, camera, etc.

I don't have excess and/or bogus apps and even cleaned up some that I thought may be messing things up.

2. I bought it with the Samsung extended battery and this thing still seems to suck down power like it doesn't even exist, Verizon guy said this should just about double the battery life.

So just getting the phone, are there any options I can do to fix any of this? Should I exchange it? Are duds possible? Really upset I dropped around $300 for a phone that has crashed more in two days than my Droid 2 ever did.

Thanks for any help

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
2. I bought it with the Samsung extended battery and this thing still seems to suck down power like it doesn't even exist, Verizon guy said this should just about double the battery life.

So just getting the phone, are there any options I can do to fix any of this? Should I exchange it? Are duds possible? Really upset I dropped around $300 for a phone that has crashed more in two days than my Droid 2 ever did.

The sales rep lied to you, sorry. The screen and LTE together suck down battery like its nobody's business. Especially if you only have the Samsung extended battery. Its only 14% larger than the stock battery...

All stock people get about 3 (at most 4) hours of screen on time for a full charge. Less if you're streaming, even less if you're streaming over LTE.

Reactions: Texas Nation

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
The sales rep lied to you, sorry. The screen and LTE together suck down battery like its nobody's business. Especially if you only have the Samsung extended battery. Its only 14% larger than the stock battery...

All stock people get about 3 (at most 4) hours of screen on time for a full charge. Less if you're streaming, even less if you're streaming over LTE.

That's the truth. I'm waiting for the seido extended, think its 3800mah, to come down in price. I charge mine 3 tines a day. All stock gnex with stock battery. Also have a job with lots of downtime, so I spend it on the phone.

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I know its been hashed and rehashed but I still have no idea how you can configure the gnex to get 3-4 hrs of screen on time :( any tips?!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I know its been hashed and rehashed but I still have no idea how you can configure the gnex to get 3-4 hrs of screen on time :( any tips?!

Its all about personal use and there are so many factors. 3 (maximum 4) hours screen on is just the usual that's reported with minimal tweaks. I'm sure that even with normal usage patterns you could end up with under 3 hours and a dead phone.

Just normal battery saving procedures will help. Lowering screen brightness, changing sync times, removing bad apps, etc..

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
@Texas Nation - I think you should consider using use a wall receptacle, if you can, to watch Netflix all day.

You have the worst case scenario for battery drain - LTE cell radio, continuous screen and audio and high processing demand on the phone for extended periods. Best keep an eye on data usage, too, unless you have an unlimited plan.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Danv1369

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for any help

Yes you could of gotten a dud. Try doing a factory reset and set up the phone again. If that does not help I would suggest exchanging it. They will try to sell you another phone. I suggest sticking to the a new nexus and give one more try. Today with light use (1.5 hours screen on time) I have been on battery for 13 hours and have 31% remaining at the time of this post.

If the new nexus does better you can unlock (this will erase everything on the phone) and get the leaked 4.0.4 update that is on XDA. I am on the 4.0.4 and before that I was getting about 8-10 hours with the same usage above so it does help.

best of luck.

Texas Nation

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tips everyone, unfortunately a wall receptacle isn't an option, I sit at the gate in my car for 8 hours, and my car must be running for the charger to work.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You're best bet besides a charger is an external extended battery pack. Yes, it's annoying to have your phone connected to it via micro USB cable, but something like the Mopie Juice pack may do the trick. It's rated to give you 4000 mah on top of your actual battery. There's one coming out for the PlayStation Vita in April that is supposedly 5000 mah. I'm not sure if that will charge phones too, but I'm keeping an eye out for it.

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I love my GNex but if I were in your shoes short of carrying around extra batteries I'd go back and get a Motorola Razr Maxx. The battery in that is a monster although its non replaceable.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Had a Droid 2 and I needed to upgrade for one big reason. I guard a gate at a construction site and nothing happens so I spend all day watching Netflix, problem is with the Droid 2 I was dead within 3-4 hours. So I upgraded to the Nexus

There is not an LTE phone in existence that is going to let you stream movies "all day" without the battery dying rapidly.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Working off of your example, I'd say that the best bet for you would be to exchange your Nexus for a Razr Maxx. That I think would give you the battery life you are needing.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Excessive crashing and rebooting is not normal, especially running stock. Everyone on here is correct. You can't stream Netflix for hours on end with this phone, even with your settings tweaked. You need the huge extended battery or a different phone.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Constant streaming of videos plus not being connected to WiFi will easily kill a battery. I don't know what that rep was smoking that day but he was dead wrong. For your situation I would agree with everyone else. The Droid Razr Maxx would be best suited for you.

joncat84

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Turn your car on and use a car charger.

if you can't turn on your car and really want all day use you can buy one of those portable jump starters that have a dc outlet and you can plug your car charger into that lol. I wonder how many mah are in one of the car batteries running those portable jump starters. Just remember to plug in the jump starter when you get home.

mwangkc

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Have a Best Buy tech hard-wire a charger in your car so you don't need the car running or on accessory mode to power your car charger. This should cost less than $50--roughly the cost of an extra battery-- and will ensure that other power hungry accessories in your car (like the fuel pump) don't kill your car battery in the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa