Nexus S gets 4.0.3 and now 4.0.4!?! Wheres the love?

diverbelow

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
one of the selling points on the phone was the speed of its updates. Based on what I have seen so far this is completely bogus

In a sense, updates to the Nexus line is still faster than any other OEM phones with there custom UI.

Now, if VZW was strictly GSM based we would be getting the update as well and not have to wait on VZW.

Also, if VZW was GSM based we could take the AOSP and build it ourselves and install it on our phones, but since we are not GSM, but have the CDMA Nexus we don't have access to the CDMA binaries, but VZW and Samsung do.

Soon, Sprint GN customers will be in the boat as are.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
one of the selling points on the phone was the speed of its updates. Based on what I have seen so far this is completely bogus

I think you assumed that benefit, never expressed by VZW that I'm aware of.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site

I love how people get so worked-up over an update that doesn't even really change much of anything.

The one annoying part is that when there is a major update the VZW version won't receive the update initially.

I think this will be my last Verizon phone. I almost never talk on the phone anymore and with wifi available almost everywhere it doesn't make sense to pay more for phones/service with there are better choices.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

or Google for that matter, at least officially. Most of that talk came from avid fans. Regardless, Google has said time and time again that they will still support the CDMA Galaxy Nexus (which means updating it when possible). Unfortunately, there are still hurdles they have to jump through in order to get it out to us.

On another note, the leaked 4.0.4 is an earlier build. Whatever CDMA/Verizon users will get will surely be an updated build of 4.0.4 (if not 4.0.5) which will probably contain more fixes.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I love how people get so worked-up over an update that doesn't even really change much of anything.

The one annoying part is that when there is a major update the VZW version won't receive the update initially.

I think this will be my last Verizon phone. I almost never talk on the phone anymore and with wifi available almost everywhere it doesn't make sense to pay more for phones/service with there are better choices.

Its an important update for me: Speed improvements; multi-touch bug fix; more stable data connection; improved call quality; better camera response; and whatever other bug fixes are in there. These are fixes I've been waiting for for quite a while that affect my overall experience. It may be a small update, but its one I need.

Also, if they have trouble pushing smaller updates, imagine how long it'll take for bigger updated like 4.1 or 4.2 -- and then when Jelly Bean comes along.

Sploinkin

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Have you had any other Android phones besides the Galaxy Nexus? Over the two years I had my OG Droid, I think I got ONE update (besides giving up the whole I'm scared of voiding my warranty and rooting and running Gingerbread a year later of course) and we already had an official update for the GN on release day.

People need to stop getting so worked up over this get updates faster crap. The purpose of a Nexus phone is to be able to install incremental updates without waiting for your carrier to release them.

Oh, and you can get 4.0.4 through AOKP as of 4 hours ago: https://twitter.com/#!/romanbb/status/185349249049968641

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Have you had any other Android phones besides the Galaxy Nexus? Over the two years I had my OG Droid, I think I got ONE update (besides giving up the whole I'm scared of voiding my warranty and rooting and running Gingerbread a year later of course) and we already had an official update for the GN on release day.

People need to stop getting so worked up over this get updates faster crap. The purpose of a Nexus phone is to be able to install incremental updates without waiting for your carrier to release them.

Oh, and you can get 4.0.4 through AOKP as of 4 hours ago: https://twitter.com/#!/romanbb/status/185349249049968641

I'd argue the whole point of a Nexus phone is to showcase the latest from Android and point out what it's capable of doing. Oh, and it also was originally intended to break the whole contract/carrier model which absolutely fell flat on its face with the Nexus One. The fact that we can install updates without waiting for carriers to release them is just a nice side effect.

But anyways people are losing sight of the fact that while, yes the Nexus is a stock device, Android is still a complex operating system. The fact that it's only an incremental update does not necessarily mean the changes involved are simple (there can be a high risk of unforeseen ripples when software is changed). Not fully knowing exactly how Google schedules their development, testing, and coordination (especially with Samsung and Verizon) makes it impossible to determine how fast they should be pushing this stuff out. More so knowing that a lot of these corporations will usually never be transparent about what goes on behind the scenes (which adds more fuel to user frustration). What I can almost be certain about is that Google is not sitting on their hands just to torture us a little longer.

To sum up, it'll be out when it's out. I realize that's not good enough for some of you but there's really not much else we can do but wait (or flash a custom ROM).

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Kindly point us to a Verizon or Google document that states that nexus phones will have the fastest and first updates.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
He is correct both Google and Verizon advertised this as a phone to receive the latest updates first

Perhaps I'm forgetting something, but I'd seriously like to see a source on this because I don't ever recall them ever marketing or advertising that officially for the Galaxy Nexus.

cbwx34

May 14, 2011
Visit site
If you look at the Verizon poster on this page.... phandroid.com/2011/11/17/samsung-galaxy-nexus-lte-revealed-to-be-9-47mm-thick-on-updated-google-landing-page-verizon-in-store-poster/ ... it says near the bottom of the poster, "With Galaxy Nexus, be the first to receive upgrades, features and new apps as they become available."

Does this count? :)

brownhornet

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Kindly point us to a Verizon or Google document that states that nexus phones will have the fastest and first updates.

You can argue it if you want, but we all know that this is one of the main selling points as to why people get the Nexus. And I pointed out in another thread as to why it really doesn't seem like that big of an advantage to me anymore the way Google has been falling behind with their updates.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If you look at the Verizon poster on this page.... phandroid.com/2011/11/17/samsung-galaxy-nexus-lte-revealed-to-be-9-47mm-thick-on-updated-google-landing-page-verizon-in-store-poster/ ... it says near the bottom of the poster, "With Galaxy Nexus, be the first to receive upgrades, features and new apps as they become available."

Yes it does, thank you. :)

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I still love this phone but I would like to see several small official incremental updates that roll out frequently opposed to big chunk upgrades that solve a variety of issues. I am no computer programmer but I have seen the way other products in technology receive updates in a timely manner and think that ICS should be able to do the same. There is no sense defending the release schedule for the GN. We are all aware of a bunch of bugs in the phone. I imagine some are complex problems but i am sure others could be fairly easy fixes. So why can't we get those first? I know you can install unofficial builds by rooting or unlocking the bootloader but my GN is a work device and I could lose access to my work email by doing so.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Uh no. Did you read what the heading of that section was? Its referring specifically to Google Apps.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
You can argue it if you want, but we all know that this is one of the main selling points as to why people get the Nexus. And I pointed out in another thread as to why it really doesn't seem like that big of an advantage to me anymore the way Google has been falling behind with their updates.

It has NEVER been that way. Ever. The reason the nexus line exists is for pure Android and updates that come directly from Google. Fast updates has never been a part of owning a nexus, and it has never been advertised as such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez