Is it just me

cjolly

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a stock galaxy nexus 4g with the 2100 extended battery. I use all the tips and tricks but my battery life is still horrible less than about 15-16 hours with moderate to minimal use.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
If you feel up to it. Unlock. Root and flash a rom and kernel. That will help battery life for sure.

Dropped from LiquidNexus via Tapatalk2

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Getting good battery performance takes time and patience and experimenting. You could have wake locks, rogue apps misbehaving, battery is not properly calibrated, etc. Many things.

If you are not unlocked/rooted/flashing custom Roms, I highly recommend that first. Then there are kernels which is huge. I'm a very heavy user. I can easily go 16 hours with screen on time approaching 3 hours or sometimes more, browsing (data), all syncing on, push notifications, listening to music an hour or longer, etc. I don't even try to save on battery life so i never turn anything off. If i tried to conserve on battery which I have a time or two to test my configuration, I can go a day and a half easy. I can achieve all this through a good kernel and by undervolting.

Once you find a good Rom and kernel combo, you begin dialing in good undervolting settings. After this, you calibrate the battery. After this, you monitor your phone by using apps like CPU Spy and/or better battery stats to ensure you aren't experiencing wake locks or rogue apps. If not, you're good to go. It seems like a lot of stuff but its really not and kinda fun.

Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
SOTK. What kernel are you currently using?

I'm using ImoseyOn's Lean Kernel. Specifically, the Experimental 1 v.3.1. It allows for an overclock of 1650mhz and also a minimum step of 180mhz. This minimum step is really where you can see (potentially) a lot of battery savings since you can idle at such a low frequency. Also, I use the hotplugx governor which turns off one of the cores when not needed also helping with battery performance. ImoseyOn is always tweaking these experimental kernels. They are always getting better. His stable versions of the lean kernel are probable a bit better for battery performance as the GPU isn't as overclocked and the cpu overclock is lower.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Reactions: sicario666

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm using ImoseyOn's Lean Kernel. Specifically, the Experimental 1 v.3.1. It allows for an overclock of 1650mhz and also a minimum step of 180mhz. This minimum step is really where you can see (potentially) a lot of battery savings since you can idle at such a low frequency. Also, I use the hotplugx governor which turns off one of the cores when not needed also helping with battery performance. ImoseyOn is always tweaking these experimental kernels. They are always getting better. His stable versions of the lean kernel are probable a bit better for battery performance as the GPU isn't as overclocked and the cpu overclock is lower.

Where can I find the kernel downloads? I looked here and rootzwiki. I think xda too. I must have been looking with my eyes closed :eek: or the threads were buried at the time.

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Where can I find the kernel downloads? I looked here and rootzwiki. I think xda too. I must have been looking with my eyes closed :eek: or the threads were buried at the time.

http://rootzwiki.com/index.php?/topic/13092-Leankernel:-Minimalistic-Kernel-(3.1.0,-4/7/12)

Try that. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm not an expert but will try to help. Rootzwiki is really the place to hang out if you want access to a wealth of information and downloads to better your Nexus experience. There are a lot of other kernel devs there too. It just so happens I prefer ImoseyOn. Some people swear by Franco's Kernel, Ezekeel's GlaDos Kernel, faux123 Kernel, and many others. All have worthy kernels. You just need to try them out for yourself and see what you like. Man, rootzwiki is just swimming with development. It's almost overwhelming. There are so many Roms and Kernels now that you could flash a different one every day for almost a month. Seriously. LOL

Reactions: sicario666

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks again. Yeah I usually go to certain sites for certain things. I like this community and I like to pay it forward when it comes to helping others. But rootzwiki is going nits with development. I second that! Its where I find a lot of good stuff. Most of the time I share links from there over here on AC

Reactions: SOTK

macmitten

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah mine still sucks battery. Since the day I got it! I tell friends that want a new phone to not get this one because of the horrible battery life.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a stock galaxy nexus 4g with the 2100 extended battery. I use all the tips and tricks but my battery life is still horrible less than about 15-16 hours with moderate to minimal use.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

15-16 hours with a 2100 battery isn't bad at all. your not gonna get 18+ hours out of a smartphone if you actually use it. if you was getting under 7 hours, then there's something wrong or your a heavy user. I don' t understand how ppl think that 10+ hours with a smartphone under moderate use is bad???? If you want flip phone battery life, get a flip phone. I see so many ppl complaining about battery life when in reality, they are getting great battery life for a smartphone. You want bad battery life, get a tbolt with the stock battery. Flat dead in 3 1/2-4 hours.

Reactions: SOTK

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
15-16 hours with a 2100 battery isn't bad at all. your not gonna get 18+ hours out of a smartphone if you actually use it. if you was getting under 7 hours, then there's something wrong or your a heavy user. I don' t understand how ppl think that 10+ hours with a smartphone under moderate use is bad???? If you want flip phone battery life, get a flip phone. I see so many ppl complaining about battery life when in reality, they are getting great battery life for a smartphone. You want bad battery life, get a tbolt with the stock battery. Flat dead in 3 1/2-4 hours.

+1 Not to mention it having a HUGE screen with a high reso