[ICS][4.0.4][4/2] Official IMM76K Update Thread for the VZW GNex

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ICS][4.0.4] Official IMM76K Update Thread for the VZW GNex

Does unlocking the bootloader alone wipe the phone's data? I am interested in installing this update manually, but not at the cost of having to set up everything on my phone again. So far, my phone is working pretty well and I only want to do the update if it is entirely painless.

Yes. Unlocking the bootloader will wipe everything.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Ugh, OK, thanks guys. I am still considering rooting for the future (see a post I made in the Root section) but I will likely not do it just for this update. I will wait for the OTA, unless it takes too long.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Ugh, OK, thanks guys. I am still considering rooting for the future (see a post I made in the Root section) but I will likely not do it just for this update. I will wait for the OTA, unless it takes too long.

Don't worry, I'm getting to that post ;).

If you backup everything, then unlocking is painless. It's where you don't back it up do you run into issues.

For easy backup, I would suggest hooking it up to a PC or Mac (w/ Mac, you need the Android File Transfer application), and simply dragging everything over. For Mac (which is what I personally have, much to our chagrin), I suggest moving the folders over one by one so as to not force close the program. It's a terrible program, probably b/c Andy Rubin and the like are secretly trolling Apple ;).

Reactions: Papasmerf

YzBrad99

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

Verifying current system...

assert failed: apply_patch_check "/system/app/BooksTablet.apk"

Did i delete Google Books?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Verifying current system...

assert failed: apply_patch_check "/system/app/BooksTablet.apk"

Did i delete Google Books?

You could have. Did you take it back to stock first, or just go from where your phone was (stock, presumably)?

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

friendly tip for future reference: unlock the bootloader as a matter of habit as the 1st thing you do with a new phone. then you won't have to do it again and you won't (usually) have to worry about a full wipe. you can decide to root later

YzBrad99

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

I never installed any roms. Just unlocked and rooted. I don't remember deleting it. Is there anyway i can find the booktablet.apk app that came with 4.0.2 to throw it back on there?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I never installed any roms. Just unlocked and rooted. I don't remember deleting it. Is there anyway i can find the booktablet.apk app that came with 4.0.2 to throw it back on there?

You could try pulling it from the stock images, OR perhaps try installing from the market? I don't remember it being called that either, FWIW.

You could also try using Wug's to take you back and go from there.

YzBrad99

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

I dont remember it being called that either. I thought that was the .apk for my Galaxy Tab 10.1

Ill try Wugs. Thanks

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Don't worry, I'm getting to that post ;).

If you backup everything, then unlocking is painless. It's where you don't back it up do you run into issues.

For easy backup, I would suggest hooking it up to a PC or Mac (w/ Mac, you need the Android File Transfer application), and simply dragging everything over. For Mac (which is what I personally have, much to our chagrin), I suggest moving the folders over one by one so as to not force close the program. It's a terrible program, probably b/c Andy Rubin and the like are secretly trolling Apple ;).

Ah, I didn't know that you could copy all the folders back and forth without having to reinstall apps. Truthfully, it was the reinstalling of all the apps, along with setting up my homescreens again, choosing all of my defaults for each app and for settings in general, that scares me off. I am very lazy these days when it comes to my phone! But, if I can just drag and drop all of my folders back and everything will be as it was (other than my homescreens, I assume), that is not quite so bad. Still seems like about an hour or so of work.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

friendly tip for future reference: unlock the bootloader as a matter of habit as the 1st thing you do with a new phone. then you won't have to do it again and you won't (usually) have to worry about a full wipe. you can decide to root later

Oh, sure, NOW you tell me!! :0)

Of course, I should have thought about that, having been through all of this before with my Droid. But, seriously, I was hoping that the Nexus would never need to be messed with, just perfect out of the box!!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Ah, I didn't know that you could copy all the folders back and forth without having to reinstall apps. Truthfully, it was the reinstalling of all the apps, along with setting up my homescreens again, choosing all of my defaults for each app and for settings in general, that scares me off. I am very lazy these days when it comes to my phone! But, if I can just drag and drop all of my folders back and everything will be as it was (other than my homescreens, I assume), that is not quite so bad. Still seems like about an hour or so of work.

In theory, if you get something like Nova or Apex Launcher, you can set your homescreen up, save it to the SDcard, and then transfer that back and have it configure everything for you :).

Market Restore is a pain; no disagreement there. I usually just take a smoke break when it happens lol.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I got a lot of that site to work but when I get to the line

./mempodroid 0xd7f4 0xad4b mount -o remount,rw ” /system

it doesnt react as it should after. Someone said something about closing the " but didnt say where to put it lol

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I got a lot of that site to work but when I get to the line

./mempodroid 0xd7f4 0xad4b mount -o remount,rw ? /system

it doesnt react as it should after. Someone said something about closing the " but didnt say where to put it lol

Hmmm. perhaps before the ./ ?

So like ==>

"./mempodroid 0xd7f4 0xad4b mount -o remount,rw? /system

Don't quote me on that ;).

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Tried that. Sad to be so close yet so far away rofl. this would be easy enough otherwise

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

it might be "/system"

also not sure at all. that's a weird line of code.

maybe " /system "

or " /system"

or "remount,rw" but i doubt this one.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Tried that. Sad to be so close yet so far away rofl. this would be easy enough otherwise

Has anyone updated in the comments at all? Try removing the quote?

Let me peruse...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

From the comments...

It also appears you are using a double quote if you retyped and or copied from your command prompt please use 2 ? single quotes.

If after that it says no such file/directory...

That means the adb push command did not copy correct. After the cd /data/local/tmp command you can type ls to see what is all in the folder make sure you see mempodroid there. If you watch the YouTube video link you can see all of the commands and what the results should be the video may be a little more in depth than what I can describe.

Reactions: zero neck

nothinbutnexus

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

I'm so confused. I'm unlocked and rooted, running IMM30B. Is there any way for me to upgrade to IMM76K without losing everything on my phone?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana