JB for CDMA? GSM?!?

nightshaded

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
First of all, I've been lurking here for quite some time and I would like to thank you all for your contributions and insight.

I have a real dumb question. I want to upgrade to Jellybean, but I don't understand what GSM is. I've tried researching this, but I'm still confused if I'm able to download it or not, since mine is CDMA. The link says this: Jelly Beans ROM for Rooted Galaxy Nexus! [GSM/Verizon/Sprint]

Does this mean that JB will work for Verizon and sprint phones, but only if they are GSM?

***OR***

Does it mean that JB will work for GSM, Verizon (cdma) and Sprint (cdma) phones?

Simply put, can I download Jellybean? Thank you all, I highly appreciate it.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Do you have Verizon?

If so, look at my signature. There's a link that says Jelly Bean NOW?!.

Click that :).

For FURTHER clarification ==>

GSM = "no carrier"/Google Play Store Nexus; also known as maguro

CDMA = Verizon; also known as toro

CDMA = Sprint; also known as toroplus

With roms, they'll use those "aka names" more often than not.

Reactions: nightshaded

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
To be quite honest, I do not think you should be installing software on your own if you don't even know the difference between CDMA and GSM. This software has not even been finalized yet.

You need to slow down and take a lot more time to learn before you start doing any mods to your phone. It's not as simple as installing and not thinking about it anymore. You're going to have to do a lot of your own tech support.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

nightshaded

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I was able to unlock, root, and flash 4.04 before because of this forum, but for some reason the whole GSM and CDMA thing threw me off this time. The reason I asked is because a co-worker (and self-proclaimed smart-phone expert) of mine told me that JB would only work for GSM phones only. This didn't sound right, so I wanted to double check here before I began.

Thank-you both for your help, you answered my question. Thanks for what you guys do.

Last edited:

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
GSM refers to a type of network architecture (CDMA is another). Verizon and Sprint are CDMA-based carriers while AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM-based carriers. For a software build to work on a phone, it has to have bits and pieces that let it interface with the hardware. Google builds Android (all versions) for GSM hardware because it is (at least as far as I can recall) the most widely used network architecture.

In order for Android 4.1 to work on a Verizon/Sprint CDMA device, it needs to have those special bits and pieces that Google has not provided. That's where hackers come in to play. There is a build out there of 4.1 for CDMA devices (which dmmarck referenced above).

Reactions: nightshaded

Corban227

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Do we have a projected date for when google will release a cdma update for the Verizon nexus? One where you do not have to root and can just install as an update?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Do we have a projected date for when google will release a cdma update for the Verizon nexus? One where you do not have to root and can just install as an update?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

No, but presumably it won't be for quite some time.

nightshaded

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
So far guys, I adore Jellybean. Whats funny to me is how much faster youtube videos play now, even with a bad signal. Google now is beyond awesome, it seriously put a smile on my face. However, I'm having three small and very minor problems.

Dolphin HD browser: I can no longer pinch to zoom.

Swiftkey 3: I can't enter my facebook and gmail account information upon initial setup. I press the keys and nothing happens. Everything else works great though, I can still text and browse with ease.

FoxFi: No longer can establish a hotspot. It keeps stating that the wifi has failed. Not a problem at all since tether now comes pre-installed.

There is also minor lag when switching screens, which is due to Go-Launcher Ex. I downloaded Franco Kernel Updater, does anyone else use this? I could use some advice on which settings to use to optimize performance (without frying my baby nexus). The lag mostly happens when I unlock it. These are the settings I chose so far:
Min/Max CPU = 729/1200 MHZ.
Scaling governor = ondemand.
Franco powermode = balanced
Max screen off frequency = 384