VZW Gnex and European LTE

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried bringing their VZW Gnex to Europe and find a compatible LTE carrier? Which carriers work with VoLTE?

I'm travelling to the Iberian Peninsula next year and I'm hoping I can use my Gnex coast-to-coast there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
But it's a Nexus. Theoretically, wouldn't any LTE SIM work if it used the same frequency band? I'm sure it could be unlocked if not, just wanna know if anyone has and if they got it to work, how they did it.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
But it's a Nexus. Theoretically, wouldn't any LTE SIM work if it used the same frequency band? I'm sure it could be unlocked if not, just wanna know if anyone has and if they got it to work, how they did it.

Its a Verizon cdma nexus. Locked down by verizon Chances are slim to none. A GSM nexus would be more likely

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Plus the Nexus doesn't have VoLTE does it? I don't believe any current phones are yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Well voice isn't as important as data to me anyway.

Depending on how much cash I have to burn, I guess I could take a Google Gnex along too and at the same time attempt to figure out a method for the VZW version. But that's a year away...

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Plus the Nexus doesn't have VoLTE does it? I don't believe any current phones are yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Thunderbolt and Nexus are both 3GPP Release 8 LTE UE Category 3 devices. These devices support IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem), the platform on which VoLTE (essentially VoIP) runs. Therefore they both "support" VoLTE, as far as my knowledge goes. However, this article -- if it holds true -- may mean no true VoLTE for a while.

Edit: the Wikipedia article for IMS is an informative read, and includes VoIP and LTE details as well as 3GPP release specifications. ;)

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Also don't forget that Verizon's. LTE is on 700mhz in which US only frequencies.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
"In North America, 700/ 800 and 1700/ 1900 MHz are planned to be used; 800, 1800, 2600 MHz in Europe; 1800 and 2600 MHz in Asia; and 1800 MHz in Australia."

Typical. I'll just wait for 5G, maybe then Europe will have all carriers running on similar frequencies with all US carriers...

But that would never happen. Just way too convenient...

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If you listen to the VZW commercial that was aired last night where I live, all their 4G phones are global. I know they arent but, just sayin lol

gdubs2013

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I was talking with a Verizon rep last week when I was transfering my global rental phone back to my GNex after I was in Europe and he told me that eventually all Verizon LTE phones will be world phones once European carriers adopt the LTE network. I don't know if this guy was just saying that because it sounds logical or there is factual evidence, but either way being able to use your Verizon GNex overseas isnt going to be happening for many years if at all.

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
The Droid Raze, Droid Razr Maxx, and the HTC Rezound are the only global phones on Verizon with LTE. But I think that works via GSM.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Your only option is to use it on WiFI, as others have pointed out the LTE bands are different in the US and Europe. Also there is very little LTE in Europe so even if the GN could handle the European bands it won't help because they haven't built out their LTE networks yet.

Your best bet is to use WiFI. I've made SKYPE calls that way. SKYPE call quality is awful BTW, don't know if Google Voice works better.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I use GrooveIP on a daily basis over wifi and mobile data. Quality over wifi is great and since it uses google voice it is free.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo