How Long Does It Take To Test an Update?

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
So Vodafone put out this blog post a couple days ago that I came across today. As you may know, Vodafone's Nexus S recently got an OTA to Jelly Bean, which would put the VZW Gnex behind the Nexus S.

Something that caught my attention was this little quote:

?Firmware testing can typically take anything from one day to one week, depending on our previous experience with an individual manufacturer, and the complexity of the upgrade itself,? May says, ?Security releases and bug fixes are usually quickest to test, but platform upgrades with new features take longer?

Also, there was this gem:

"We test data, the operation of the apps, battery life, music services and so on ? but if it?s a device we?ve seen before we wouldn?t go back and test the antenna again, unless there?s been a specific issue identified with it."

So, if Verizon Wireless is owned 45% Vodafone and 55% Verizon proper, why is our OTA taking this long? Or rather, why is any update on the Gnex taking this long? You would think Vodafone would have a say in how Verizon Wireless conducts its business and testing...

Just Saiyan.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Verizon = forever.
If your waiting on Verizon your going to be waiting a long time.

Sent from my Jellybean powered GalaxyNexus

spencer0279

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
i harassed a verizon chat lady earlier today. she said there werent any phones running 4.1 .-.i was like google once in a while. and sent a link to AC lol

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm betting there will be another Nexus out before we get an OTA on the Verizon Nexus....look how long it took us to get the other update...6 months! The only thing holding me to Verizon right now is the unlimited data plan...once that is taken away I'll most likely be gone. I don't really travel with my job and there is excellent coverage with all the major carriers where I live. I just think waiting 6 months for an OTA update is crazy when it comes to technology and cell phones. This is my first Nexus device and I am very disappointed in that aspect of it.

mgftp

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
i harassed a verizon chat lady earlier today. she said there werent any phones running 4.1 .-.i was like google once in a while. and sent a link to AC lol

lol, you are wasting your time.... the Verizon rep doesn't know, doesn't care, and has zero influence on making something happen.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm betting there will be another Nexus out before we get an OTA on the Verizon Nexus....look how long it took us to get the other update...6 months! The only thing holding me to Verizon right now is the unlimited data plan...once that is taken away I'll most likely be gone. I don't really travel with my job and there is excellent coverage with all the major carriers where I live. I just think waiting 6 months for an OTA update is crazy when it comes to technology and cell phones. This is my first Nexus device and I am very disappointed in that aspect of it.

I'm actually really hoping there will be another Nexus on Verizon. For some reason I have this feeling that the whole Nexus debacle has kind of left a sour taste in Google's mouth when dealing with Big Red. What gives me hope is that Verizon is allowing Samsung to release a developer phone of the Galaxy SIII in some capacity.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Verizon hires engineering grad students to do this testing. They choose one with finals coming up followed by a two month spring break in the Bahamas. When they return, if their test phone is not water and/or sand laden, they ask them to test the new version of Android. If the grad student submits the results within two months they are let go for not spending enough time on the test and the process begins again. The whole process is thoroughly thought out and painstakenly implemented to give all the best experience possible on our Verizon devices.

Reactions: TheAssailant

cbbartley

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So Vodafone put out this blog post a couple days ago that I came across today. As you may know, Vodafone's Nexus S recently got an OTA to Jelly Bean, which would put the VZW Gnex behind the Nexus S.

Something that caught my attention was this little quote:

?Firmware testing can typically take anything from one day to one week, depending on our previous experience with an individual manufacturer, and the complexity of the upgrade itself,? May says, ?Security releases and bug fixes are usually quickest to test, but platform upgrades with new features take longer?

Also, there was this gem:

"We test data, the operation of the apps, battery life, music services and so on ? but if it?s a device we?ve seen before we wouldn?t go back and test the antenna again, unless there?s been a specific issue identified with it."....

It's amazing how so few views and serious comments a post like this gets.

moin1998

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I believe an article at the Verge - if I'm not mistaken, said that the problem lies with adding carrier branding, or additional services. The testing time has always been nearly a week.

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I hope Verizon gets another Nexus. I love the pure android and this thing is ridiculous easy to root and ROM. I'm not an addict but I do like the ease if manual updates :)

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Because there's nowhere to go with it. Say you order a pizza from the best pizza place in town and they tell you it will be delivered in 55 minutes. I then tell you it only takes them 9 minutes to cook the thing. How does that help you? Do you want them to deliver the pie or do you want something else (like bake your own)?

There are two unchanging options (root|wait) for getting the update, and nothing that new information provides to sway either of them.

How is that even relevant? Unless you're saying the update is ready but they have to "deliver" updates to other people before you get yours? That makes no sense. Nobody's getting updates.

If the update does only take a max of a week to test, Verizon decided to stop and catch a movie or something while our update is sitting there getting cold.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
How is that even relevant? Unless you're saying the update is ready but they have to "deliver" updates to other people before you get yours? That makes no sense. Nobody's getting updates.

If the update does only take a max of a week to test, Verizon decided to stop and catch a movie or something while our update is sitting there getting cold.

Verizon probably hires a couple of 80-year-olds to do the testing... they were half way
through the testing and realized they had not jelly beans to east... so they went out to
Walmart to pick up a couple of pounds... then they needed to take a long nap.

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Because there's nowhere to go with it. Say you order a pizza from the best pizza place in town and they tell you it will be delivered in 55 minutes. I then tell you it only takes them 9 minutes to cook the thing. How does that help you? Do you want them to deliver the pie or do you want something else (like bake your own)?

There are two unchanging options (root|wait) for getting the update, and nothing that new information provides to sway either of them.

Delivery people always get my address wrong so I go directly to my Papa John's after placing an order. Sure, I can always eat home baked pizza, but there's just something about Papa John's that I can't seem to leave it.

In my analogy, delivery people are Verizon. Picking up the pizza is stock updates directly from Google (owning a real Nexus). Home baked are ROMs.

Now I'm hungry.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Or...they have to also test all of the carrier-specific software and drivers, which, given Verizon's obsessive need to ensure network stability, takes the bulk of the time.

The fact that one carrier is CDMA and one is GSM also likely plays a role.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2