YAY! Swiftkey 3 now uses Google's Voice Typing!

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
In an update that should be hitting the update very soon, SK3 is adding Google's awesome Voice Typing as an optional voice input. They still need to keep the old version since the vast majority don't have Voice Typing yet, but we no longer have to use a convoluted workaround to get to Voice Typing while using SK!!

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
In an update that should be hitting the update very soon, SK3 is adding Google's awesome Voice Typing as an optional voice input. They still need to keep the old version since the vast majority don't have Voice Typing yet, but we no longer have to use a convoluted workaround to get to Voice Typing while using SK!!

It's always worked off Google's Voice Typing for me, lol. Well, to clarify, there was an issue with it where voice typing wouldn't work at all back in like Oct-Nov, but they updated it to just use the native voice typing around then... at least afaik.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Wait, before today's update, when you pressed the mic button, it would use the new continuous voice input which typed AS you talked (introduced first with ICS), rather than the older method which listened to what you said, then gave you the transcription for you to tap on?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Wait, before today's update, when you pressed the mic button, it would use the new continuous voice input which typed AS you talked (introduced first with ICS), rather than the older method which listened to what you said, then gave you the transcription for you to tap on?

Hmm.. no no, you're right, sir... it did not use the continuous voice input thing. Just updated and tested it out and indeed that is new and pretty cool :)

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been having to use a convoluted workaround to be able to use that Voice Typing (rather than the older voice input), and a Iot of people put SK on the shelf until they added this so they could use that Voice Typing in the stock keyboard. Now, they can go back to SK! :0)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I have been having to use a convoluted workaround to be able to use that Voice Typing (rather than the older voice input), and a Iot of people put SK on the shelf until they added this so they could use that Voice Typing in the stock keyboard. Now, they can go back to SK! :0)

Word.. I think its cool.. certainly no reason to shelve SK until it was updated, IMO. But I'm a SK fiend I could not live without it, and don't use voice typing all that often where it would make much difference to me :)

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
One interesting thing about the Voice Typing is that it can work when offline. It goes slower, but it works. BUT, when you actually have a connection, but not a very good one, sometimes it times out. It is better in these circumstances to put it into airplane mode and use it offline, then go back online if you need to send something. I wish it would figure this out on the fly and switch the Voice Typing to offline when this happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38