[OTA][9/21] Official Jelly Bean JRO03O for the Verizon GNex

Erckul

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Is it just a renamed (the filename) mirror? That's all it appears to be; thanks though, that'll help those who run into traffic issues with the original link!

BTW, OTA's always come from Google :) (at least for us).

yeah, it was just a mirror link. I deleted it, since it really does nothing new. And after a few moments, the download slowed down considerably.

sent from my Asus Transformer Pad TF300T running Jelly Bean

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: [OTA] Semi-Official Jelly Bean JRO03O for the Verizon GNex

yeah, it was just a mirror link. I deleted it, since it really does nothing new. And after a few moments, the download slowed down considerably.

sent from my Asus Transformer Pad TF300T running Jelly Bean

Yeah, I was going to put my dropbox link up here, but that'd last for what, 80 downloads?

I certainly appreciate it though :).

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

I followed the steps and locked my boot loader. Then noticed I still have SU and GOOD app said I was out of compliance and wiped the app. Guess I will try again when I get home.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I followed the steps and locked my boot loader. Then noticed I still have SU and GOOD app said I was out of compliance and wiped the app. Guess I will try again when I get home.

Are you trying to achieve root? You may need to flash CWM again via fastboot (or boot with it; the new CWM also lets you automatically override the stock recovery reflash that happens) and flash that SU package.

diobando

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if I'm asking maybe something that has already been asked. I understand some of the processes to flash the update but not quite.

My phone is stock IMM76K,

1) if I unlock my device and install the updates (Q then JB) then re-lock it, do I have to wipe everything in the future again if any other update comes out?

2) is there a way for me to flash the update without wiping my data?

3) I see this can be flash with CW recovery, can I do it with the stock recovery?

sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

fonzman78

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

Ok, I'm new to rooting and flashing. It makes me nervous but I want JB now. I've read everything and I think I understand the steps. I have stock 4.04 and I have never unlocked or rooted. I downloaded both Q and JB update. I believe I am ready to do it.

I think I can skip Step 1, BUT, I'm not certain about Step 2. Where do I find CWM? Are there steps to flash CWM?

Also, how long should the whole process take? Any help is greatly appreciated.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Sorry if I'm asking maybe something that has already been asked. I understand some of the processes to flash the update but not quite.

My phone is stock IMM76K,

1) if I unlock my device and install the updates (Q then JB) then re-lock it, do I have to wipe everything in the future again if any other update comes out?

2) is there a way for me to flash the update without wiping my data?

3) I see this can be flash with CW recovery, can I do it with the stock recovery?

sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

(1) Yes. Relocking/unlocking wipes the SDcard. If you unlock for this, my suggestion is to keep it unlocked. That way your SDcard remains intact. If the update comes out and you want to take it (which should really only be a preference if it's different than this one, IMO), you will probably need to be on IMM76Q. We will know when it comes, but like I said earlier--if it follows the what's happened here with this and what's happened before with the IMM76K leak, then that will be the case.

(2) In theory, if you're already unlocked and on IMM76K--yes. If you aren't, then no.

(3) If you prefer the stock recovery, then you need only to "boot" the CWM recovery instead of flashing it. You will need that recovery in either "flashed" or "boot" form in order to flash these packages. In the video I explain this a bit--how to do it, what that means, etc. Also, due to a file associated with the stock recovery, the stock recovery automatically "reflashes" itself upon boot unless this specific file is removed. That is an option in CWM6, as demonstrated in the video (choosing no = reverts to stock; choosing yes = keeps CWM).

For the third question, if you choose to boot, simply change the fastboot prompt from:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery [nameofrecovery].img

To...

Code:
fastboot boot [nameofrecovery].img

Last edited:
Reactions: diobando

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

Are you trying to achieve root? You may need to flash CWM again via fastboot (or boot with it; the new CWM also lets you automatically override the stock recovery reflash that happens) and flash that SU package.

I do not want to be rooted. I need to be stock. I am not sure what I did wrong but I am guessing I missed something. I want to be on JB and be stock so that I can use the Good app. for work

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I do not want to be rooted. I need to be stock. I am not sure what I did wrong but I am guessing I missed something. I want to be on JB and be stock so that I can use the Good app. for work

Did you watch the video? That in conjunction with this guide and my Return to Stock guide will get you where you want to be.

diobando

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Thank you.

Now that I understand better, regarding the 3rd answer, if I flash with the stock recovery, will the phone remain unlocked so I don't have to wipe in the future, or is it necessary to Flash CWM to achieve this?

I understand that by unlocking I'm not rooting yet. Do I have to root while in K and then keep root and apply the updates or can I root once in JB?

Thank you again

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

diobando

May 3, 2012
Visit site
(1) Yes. Relocking/unlocking wipes the SDcard. If you unlock for this, my suggestion is to keep it unlocked. That way your SDcard remains intact. If the update comes out and you want to take it (which should really only be a preference if it's different than this one, IMO), you will probably need to be on IMM76Q. We will know when it comes, but like I said earlier--if it follows the what's happened here with this and what's happened before with the IMM76K leak, then that will be the case.

(2) In theory, if you're already unlocked and on IMM76K--yes. If you aren't, then no.

(3) If you prefer the stock recovery, then you need only to "boot" the CWM recovery instead of flashing it. You will need that recovery in either "flashed" or "boot" form in order to flash these packages. In the video I explain this a bit--how to do it, what that means, etc. Also, due to a file associated with the stock recovery, the stock recovery automatically "reflashes" itself upon boot unless this specific file is removed. That is an option in CWM6, as demonstrated in the video (choosing no = reverts to stock; choosing yes = keeps CWM).

For the third question, if you choose to boot, simply change the fastboot prompt from:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery [nameofrecovery].img

To...

Code:
fastboot boot recovery [nameofrecovery].img

Thank you.

Now that I understand better, regarding the 3rd answer, if I flash with the stock recovery, will the phone remain unlocked so I don't have to wipe in the future, or is it necessary to Flash CWM to achieve this?

I understand that by unlocking I'm not rooting yet. Do I have to root while in K and then keep root and apply the updates or can I root once in JB?

Thank you again

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Can you use this method to update to the verizon JB leak?

IMM76K Direct for Verizon Galaxy Nexus Manual OTA Instructions [UPDATED][New Working Link] ? StrifeJester's Rants

Just replace imm76k with Q and then JB?

I used this to get to 4.0.4 and it worked well.

Thanks for the help.

I remember seeing that link when the K OTA leaked. Without reading it in detail (again lol), I can tell you that the method listed here and in the video is really, really simple.

Do you have K? Then simply flash the Q update in CWM. Once there, reboot the phone. After that, go back to recovery, flash the JB update. Done.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

So its a no go on the install from the NAND restore. Gives an error 7 code. OP way in progress. clean wipe is the best anyway.

Well now we know, thanks. Isn't this fun? :D

Thank you.

Thank you again

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

The phone remains unlocked unless you lock it again--either through Wug's or typing in the following code while at the bootloader/fastboot mode:

Code:
fastboot oem lock

You can't flash these packages with the stock recovery, hence the need for the custom recovery--either flashed or booted--in order to flash the packages. You can revert, like I said (either by choosing "no" in CWM when asked or by using boot instead of flash, as above), but you need to at least CWM/custom recovery to flash these zips.

Also, if you check the link I posted from Droid Life, you should...in theory...be able to flash that from any rom/any thing. However, I can only advise what I know and have done, and that's the method from the OP and the video :).

For root, what you could do is make sure you're rooted on IMM76K, use the OTA RootKeeper app when you update both to Q and to JB, and you should be fine. Just make sure that the binary gets updated and that the application gets updated. The zip in the second post should work as well; simply flash it. If it does not, let me know, and I'll go hunting again.

Reactions: diobando

jel2552

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

I remember seeing that link when the K OTA leaked. Without reading it in detail (again lol), I can tell you that the method listed here and in the video is really, really simple.

Do you have K? Then simply flash the Q update in CWM. Once there, reboot the phone. After that, go back to recovery, flash the JB update. Done.

I'm not unlocked nor rooted so this method before worked well.
It allowed a temp unlock to install the update from cache.
Was thinking of giving it a shot but wondered if anyone else had tried it?

In theory it should work the same?

Thanks for all the help you have shared here!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I'm not unlocked nor rooted so this method before worked well.
It allowed a temp unlock to install the update from cache.
Was thinking of giving it a shot but wondered if anyone else had tried it?

In theory it should work the same?

Thanks for all the help you have shared here!

In theory, yes. If I had a bit more time I'd tinker with it and see what's what. However, without reading it and doing it, I can give no guarantees. Good luck :).