anyone got in trouble for using 100gb/month on VZW Galaxy Nexus?

PostmanPat

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I missed it but has anyone actually been caught from using massive data? I'm at 42 gig and I'm getting nervous.

I don't think you'll hear from those who've used more than around 50GB of data, I believe in your T&Cs on the Verizon contract you signed up to being removed from society and sent to work as part of the underground slave network they rely on so heavily to provide the cell coverage. Sadly once people cross that 50GB threshold they're never heard from again.... at 42GB I would be getting really nervous too....
Make sure you've said your goodbye's to your loved ones, it could happen any day now.

Seriously though, if you have an unlimited data package there's nothing they can do apart from limit your bandwidth (you were never signed up for unlimited data at max speed) until the end of the billing cycle and at worst they'll send you a letter asking you to not to do it again. If you get several letters indicating 'abuse' of their network, they may have some legal stance to remove you from their network, (just guessing here) but if you haven't had warnings already I don't think there's anything you should worry about.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Exactly its data hogs that give everyone else a bad name.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

This statement is PURE comedy lol. WHAT THAT MAN OR MYSELF DO WITH THEIR DATA THEY PAY FOR IS THEY BIZ. If the carrier has a probem they got it handled.

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch using Tapatalk 2

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I was going to post a snotty response but that sums it up lol. Also what bad name?? So those of us that actually use unlimited data to the fullest give people that use "normal" amounts of data a bad name? And what name was that?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
that is rediculous.....do you guys work for a living....lol
i feel like i use my phone quite a bit, and i am at around 10gb/month maybe a little more if i am traveling and tethering.
but i also have wifi at home, so that would increase it quite a bit.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I was going to post a snotty response but that sums it up lol. Also what bad name?? So those of us that actually use unlimited data to the fullest give people that use "normal" amounts of data a bad name? And what name was that?

Those names are not to be mentioned out loud........

sorry, couldnt help myself :)

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
i feel like i use my phone quite a bit, and i am at around 10gb/month maybe a little more if i am traveling and tethering.

Read my post above!

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm a poor college student who can't afford Internet so I do everything from my phone.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site

Maybe they got laid off? It's 2012, after all. :p

But seriously, employment status means nothing. I'm a full-time lawyer in a very busy private practice, and I easily burn through 40GB a month. I sync tons of files to Box and Google Drive (including TV shows I record on Tivo and watch on my phone while commuting 2 hours every day), watch Netflix every day at the gym, stream Sirius like 5 hours a day, and regularly back up the pics and video of my kids to the cloud (to make room for more -- uploads count just as much as downloads). And I do it over 4G because its faster than the crappy wi-fi connection at work.

Verizon didn't switch to tiered and shared plans because unlimited was breaking them, they did it because EVERYBODY has a smartphone now. 0.5% of users using 100GB of data every month is absolutely nothing compared to 95% of users using 3GB every month. It is simple supply and demand, and the demand is informed by everybody carrying around a YouTube/Netflix access-point in their pocket in 2012, not the handful of nerds who have figured out how to tether without paying the exorbitant monthly fee.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Maybe they got laid off? It's 2012, after all. :p

But seriously, employment status means nothing. I'm a full-time lawyer in a very busy private practice, and I easily burn through 40GB a month. I sync tons of files to Box and Google Drive (including TV shows I record on Tivo and watch on my phone while commuting 2 hours every day), watch Netflix every day at the gym, stream Sirius like 5 hours a day, and regularly back up the pics and video of my kids to the cloud (to make room for more -- uploads count just as much as downloads). And I do it over 4G because its faster than the crappy wi-fi connection at work.

Verizon didn't switch to tiered and shared plans because unlimited was breaking them, they did it because EVERYBODY has a smartphone now. 0.5% of users using 100GB of data every month is absolutely nothing compared to 95% of users using 3GB every month. It is simple supply and demand, and the demand is informed by everybody carrying around a YouTube/Netflix access-point in their pocket in 2012, not the handful of nerds who have figured out how to tether without paying the exorbitant monthly fee.

You might want to try DropBox for automatic uploading and backups of pictures / videos. I use it and if you have any HTC device and log into the app on that device it will automatically add anywhere from 2GB to 25GB of space for free! Its especially helpful when paired with the companion app for PC / Mac because its an almost instantaneous upload (when on 4G) and the pictures automatically appear in a folder on the PC / Mac. Oh and also for tethering try FoxFi, one click and theres an open connection for up to 8 devices to connect to! :)

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
You might want to try DropBox for automatic uploading and backups of pictures / videos. I use it and if you have any HTC device and log into the app on that device it will automatically add anywhere from 2GB to 25GB of space for free! Its especially helpful when paired with the companion app for PC / Mac because its an almost instantaneous upload (when on 4G) and the pictures automatically appear in a folder on the PC / Mac. Oh and also for tethering try FoxFi, one click and theres an open connection for up to 8 devices to connect to! :)

Great tip about the HTC promo! I knew I was keeping that old Incredible around for something. ;) I will have to give that a shot since I'm running up against my Google storage ceiling.

(And I'm all over the free tethering -- I just use the hotspot toggle in Extended Controls -- no need for a stand-alone app like FoxFi. ;) I just don't have much use for it unless I'm traveling.)

Cory Signs

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
as I said, I have used over 150 gb and theres still over 10 more days until my month cycle is over lol, you wont get in trouble as long as you have unlimited data they cant do anything to you about it or complain about your usage, they havent slowed me down a bit, I still get around 15 to 20 mbps

- - - Updated - - -

so far Ive used 150 gb lol theres no limit for me, my limit go ways past the sky

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
On average, I consume 150GB a month, as anyone who peruses the chatter thread will know. I consistently pull 35-40 down, 15-20 up, and -- my personal favorite -- a ping of between 40 and 70 milliseconds. I've replicated these results in use-case scenarios with servers I control, as well as test servers like those used by Ookla's services (i.e. Speedtest.net). I've been running on this setup for a few months, and plan to for at least the next ten. In addition to the requisite unlimited LTE data, I also have an unlimited hotspot plan.

Neither my line nor the account it is on have been flagged for data usage levels or other criteria at any time.

uc

uc

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Lte unlimited plans probably throttled once the iPhone comes out

Sent from my Evo Lte using Android Central Forums

Won't happen. It is illegal for Verizon to throttle LTE due to the agreement they made with the government when they purchased the 700 mhz spectrum. This is why they got rid of unlimited and make you drop it if you want a subsidized phone. Its the only thing Verizon can do to try and get everyone to use less LTE and charge you more for the privilege.

smokie11

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is trying to phase out unlimited data for 2 reasons:

1. To make more money.

2. Is a little more involved, my unlimited data plan is the child of an ancient Alltel plan that goes back to over 10 years ago when data speeds were measured in kilobits per second and phones were more phone than mobile computers. Those who believe that bandwidth is unlimited... no it is not! If you have an unlimited plan and you believe that if you use 100 GB or a Terabyte per month (why not is unlimited right?) that high usage will not force a negative response from Verizon on all users you are deluding yourselves anything that gets abused will be controlled, it is only a matter of when not if.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is trying to phase out unlimited data for 2 reasons:

1. To make more money.

2. Is a little more involved, my unlimited data plan is the child of an ancient Alltel plan that goes back to over 10 years ago when data speeds were measured in kilobits per second and phones were more phone than mobile computers. Those who believe that bandwidth is unlimited... no it is not! If you have an unlimited plan and you believe that if you use 100 GB or a Terabyte per month (why not is unlimited right?) that high usage will not force a negative response from Verizon on all users you are deluding yourselves anything that gets abused will be controlled, it is only a matter of when not if.

Name one instance where those of us who have "abused" what we pay for has resulted in negative response. Your assumption has no backing. You think there will be some consequences but how can you say that?

smokie11

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Name one instance where those of us who have "abused" what we pay for has resulted in negative response. Your assumption has no backing. You think there will be some consequences but how can you say that?

My assumption is my opinion that's all, the first negative response has already taken place: Verizon no longer offers unlimited data. I also believe that in time (my opinion) they will find a way to put an end to all unlimited data plans. It is my opinion that as customers with current unlimited plans increase their usage to numbers that Verizon considers not sustainable everyone including myself will lose their unlimited data plan.

I don't want to be right, I prefer that you were right but I am a realist and as long as there are people that believe that unlimited means whatever the hell I want. It is far more likely that my prediction will be correct... but I hope you are right ok?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch