New SIM card = transferring data?

dherres

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
My GN had an unfortunate encounter with a beverage the other night and now it won't charge (and I've swapped out batteries, so it's not just that). I have a replacement due today. The replacement will come with a new SIM card. My question is, is there any way to save all of my photos/apps/etc. to easily transfer to the new phone -- will installing the old SIM into the new phone do it? (I assume contacts should be fine with Verizon's cloud thingy.)

Thanks!

GUHoya94

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I recently cracked my screen and had to get a replacement. I could swap the sim to the new phone since that was fine and called Verizon to make sure so I have the other SIM card as a spare if needed. However I couldn't save to the sim card. I ended up backing everything up to the cloud. All my contacts were in Google as was my calendar, etc. Those apps that create local backups, I copied them to my google drive storage with ES File Explorer as well as my most recent backups from "My Backup Pro". It wasn't a fully seamless restore but it worked with a little pain.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
You might be able to go to a retailer for your provider and see what they say. They can probably do more but don't take my word for it.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Android Central Forums

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
My GN had an unfortunate encounter with a beverage the other night and now it won't charge (and I've swapped out batteries, so it's not just that). I have a replacement due today. The replacement will come with a new SIM card. My question is, is there any way to save all of my photos/apps/etc. to easily transfer to the new phone -- will installing the old SIM into the new phone do it? (I assume contacts should be fine with Verizon's cloud thingy.)

Thanks!

It should all be stored by Google via the cloud and linked to the gmail account you used to setup the phone. If you didn't select to have Google backup you phone when you initially set it up, you'll be able to get you contacts via VZW Backup Assistant (I suggest exporting them .csv and importing them to your google account using a browser). Also if your apps don't auto restore you can go into the play store>my apps>and push them out that way. Unfortunately, you'll lose data regardless (game, mms/sms, passwords, calendar, call log etc.) Not that big of deal though. Good luck.

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
my sms backup and restore saves your texts in an xml file which you can restore to another device.
unlocked phones can backup everything without rooting by booting into recovery of your choice (Clockwork Mod or TWRP) by booting into them, but your usb port needs to work at least for data transfer to a computer. I'm assuming that doesn't work if it won't charge, though.