No new Nexus this year?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Is this going to be the first year that have no new Nexus phone? They normally come out sometime in December, but most years, the rumor mill is hopping by Sept/Oct.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'm cool with that, but I still expect and hope to see a Nexus or Nexii released this year. IMO smartphone tech has leveled out as far as real life wow factors. Dual core, HD screen, NFC, and the lastest software should get all but the "must have the newest device", harcore gamers, and potentially "photographers" by for a while. Really only the first of those three IMO as I play graphic intense games occasionally and take some pretty nice pictures on the go.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Latest rumors suggest there will be a new Nexus announced, if not released, pretty soon, and it will be running Android 4.2 (still Jellybean, but with bug fixes and improvements, etc). There's too many rumors on which manufacturer it will be to even get into it. But most all recent rumors and such agree on those two facts.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
No point in rushing a good thing when there is already a sweet Nexus out now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm cool with that, but I still expect and hope to see a Nexus or Nexii released this year. IMO smartphone tech has leveled out as far as real life wow factors. Dual core, HD screen, NFC, and the lastest software should get all but the "must have the newest device", harcore gamers, and potentially "photographers" by for a while. Really only the first of those three IMO as I play graphic intense games occasionally and take some pretty nice pictures on the go.

I think it has leveled off in the Android world. I think that when compared to what Apple has to offer ie. iPhone 5, at this moment in time, Android is being far more innovative and willing to take risks.

Personally, I really like NFC. I just wish VZW would pull their heads out of their rears and allow Google Wallet on the devices that have NFC. They claim that they will be offering ISIS, but where the heck is it? It's been nearly a year since the Galaxy Nexus was released and still no ISIS. Why not allow us to choose one or the other, or both to be on our phones?

emoeskaite

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Why not allow us to choose one or the other, or both to be on our phones?

If you don't know what something is about then it is for sure about money. VZW has no profit from Wallet, but they would have from their co-own payment system like ISIS. There is a war coming up between Google and Sprint vs. TMO, VZW and ATT.... Wallet vs. ISIS..... both will use NFC so there will be no need for different terminals at least....

I myself use most apps from Google so my obvious choice is Wallet. But I think I will be forced to use ISIS, unless Google releases an unlocked LTE CDMA Nexus which is very doubtful..

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think it has leveled off in the Android world. I think that when compared to what Apple has to offer ie. iPhone 5, at this moment in time, Android is being far more innovative and willing to take risks.

Personally, I really like NFC. I just wish VZW would pull their heads out of their rears and allow Google Wallet on the devices that have NFC. They claim that they will be offering ISIS, but where the heck is it? It's been nearly a year since the Galaxy Nexus was released and still no ISIS. Why not allow us to choose one or the other, or both to be on our phones?

The Note 2 is true innovation. It's too big for me but is still an amazing piece of tech.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This sounds interesting.
Google Nexus LG phone to be announced this month, report says - latimes.com

The next question this will raise is, when will VZW get it.

This would be a monumental fail imo. LG is not a company that people take seriously on a global scale. Yes they make lots of parts but anyone i know who has owned an LG device has always been ho hum about it.

Plus if it doesn't have at least 32 gb of storage and doesn't support a sd card I will pass as will millions of other people. This phone would need to be perfect in every way for the masses to buy it. And reviews would need to be perfect for months before many power users would believe it to be a reliable phone.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
This would be a monumental fail imo. LG is not a company that people take seriously on a global scale. Yes they make lots of parts but anyone i know who has owned an LG device has always been ho hum about it.

Plus if it doesn't have at least 32 gb of storage and doesn't support a sd card I will pass as will millions of other people. This phone would need to be perfect in every way for the masses to buy it. And reviews would need to be perfect for months before many power users would believe it to be a reliable phone.

My 2 cents.

Sadly Google won't include SD card support.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

My 2 cents.

If its anything like the LG optimus G then it'd have the best hardware/screen of any phone out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
This sounds interesting.
Google Nexus LG phone to be announced this month, report says - latimes.com

The next question this will raise is, when will VZW get it.
They will not, lol.

My 2 cents.

I would have agreed more with this sentiment in years passed... but recently their hardware has made huge strides. And Google doesn't just give out the Nexus certification to anyone, lol, they have to be impressed by what they see. I'd say hold back judgement until you see the device (which lets remember is still just a rumor at this point).

And it won't have an sd card, Google is moving against using them for data integrity reasons. I can get by just fine without one, but I understand that some people take advantage of their use by keeping a lot of media on their device and being able to swap it out, etc. Just something you'd have to adjust to.. if you've done so with the Galaxy Nexus you can keep up the trend :)

Oh and finally.. the point of Nexus phones are not to be for mass consumption by the general public. They are developer phones meant to showcase solid hardware (not necessarily the most cutting edge hardware) and the latest Android OS, for developers to use to make apps. Now I will agree that over time its become something that consumers like us care a great deal about, and yes Google knows its a hot item for the right people, but we are the minority. More than 90% of Android phone owners have no idea what a Nexus is and don't really care.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
And how do you know VZW is not getting it??????? I'm waiting all the time until it shows up at VZW to purchase it!
You're kidding, aren't you?

I do not know with 100% certainty, of course, no one does. But it's very widely known that Google isn't pleased with the way Verizon has handled updates to the device, and additionally that VZWs CDMA proprietaries have been a nuisance for AOSP support, along with CDMA being a dated network tech that nobody is a fan of. Also worth mentioning the fact that VZW is definitely not a fan of having unlockable devices on their network.

Of course, at the end of the day, the manufacturer of the next Nexus will have a very decent amount of say in it and if Verizon does decide they want it (still very unlikely) then they will want to build it for them because it means more sales, obviously, and Google will be pressured to support it.

A lot of conjecture sure but based on facts. Overall I would say the chance of seeing another Nexus on Verizon is very, very slim.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
They will not, lol.

I would have agreed more with this sentiment in years passed... but recently their hardware has made huge strides. And Google doesn't just give out the Nexus certification to anyone, lol, they have to be impressed by what they see. I'd say hold back judgement until you see the device (which lets remember is still just a rumor at this point).

And it won't have an sd card, Google is moving against using them for data integrity reasons. I can get by just fine without one, but I understand that some people take advantage of their use by keeping a lot of media on their device and being able to swap it out, etc. Just something you'd have to adjust to.. if you've done so with the Galaxy Nexus you can keep up the trend :)

Oh and finally.. the point of Nexus phones are not to be for mass consumption by the general public. They are developer phones meant to showcase solid hardware (not necessarily the most cutting edge hardware) and the latest Android OS, for developers to use to make apps. Now I will agree that over time its become something that consumers like us care a great deal about, and yes Google knows its a hot item for the right people, but we are the minority. More than 90% of Android phone owners have no idea what a Nexus is and don't really care.

Thanks for this post. It actually made me look at it differently. The specs definitely look to be great we will wait and see how it all unfolds.

Armada

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
These facts here are exactly why I got my GNex used so I could ride out my contract and flip this device to get some dosh towards the next Nexus off Google Play.

Jeff43

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
All this talk about the possible slim chances of VZW getting the next Nexus phone is a bummer.

All I can hope for is an amicable co-existence between Google and VZW, so that a Nexus phone can continue to be an option for those of us on the Nation's largest wireless company.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Had to call Verizon to order my wife's iPhone 5 because the website was acting up.
Anyways, asked the sales rep if Verizon was getting the next nexus and he seemed pretty confident that they would be. He even mentioned they should be announcing sometime soon because last year stuff started coming out around now. The guy seemed to be a little bit more knowledgeable than most Verizon reps I've spoken to.

Sent from my wireless telephonic device.