My personal thanks to VZW... (rant)

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
For once again playing the role of being the party pooper rather than allowing our Nexus's to receive updates in the most timely manner possible. How many Android phones have been released on your network? You would think that by now you'd have a far more expeditious manner for the approval process for OS updates.

We really are the illegitimate step children of the Nexus world aren't we?

I officially nominate VZW to be the recipient of the Foot Draggers Lifetime Achievement Award. Oh and by the way, you'll be the one and only ever recipient!

Android 4.1.2 update now rolling out to GSM Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S handsets | TalkAndroid.com

While the update to Android 4.1.2 may have arrived for Nexus 7 owners last week, the new software is now making its way to specific Nexus handsets. The latest iteration in Jelly Bean is currently rolling out to select GSM Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S smartphones. Users are reporting that only ?yakju? variants of the Galaxy Nexus are currently seeing the update, though it?s expected that the ?takju? model (the one officially sold through the Google Play Store) will be getting in on the action over the next couple of days.
As expected, version 4.1.2 is a minor update for phones. Other than a slight performance increase, no incredibly significant changes are noticeable. Despite the Nexus 7′s update having unleashed landscape mode, Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S users will continue to be limited to portrait, sans any custom launcher.
If you simply can?t wait for the update to hit your device, you can always head to the source link below to flash the OTA manually.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Do the GSM carriers have LTE?

Trade offs are everywhere in life, even in mobile technology :)

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
This update has been out for like a couple of days for the galaxy nexus, give vzw some time before you start bashing them again lol

Edit: actually it's been out for a day. seriously people be a tad bit more patient

Edit Edit: I already have it btw, not much has changed lol

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
This update has been out for like a couple of days for the galaxy nexus, give vzw some time before you start bashing them again lol

Edit: actually it's been out for a day. seriously people be a tad bit more patient

Edit Edit: I already have it btw, not much has changed lol

Nope, just one finger notifications and some behind the scenes stuff

Dropped by Felix from 24 Miles above the Earth

Beyond Fire

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
This does not bother me. We got JB before every single phone that's not a nexus..some don't even have ICS yet for crying out loud. I could care less about this update and won't even bother dling it when I can get better performace and features from ROMs. I'm also willing to bet that we will also get KLP before anyone else.

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I dislike the foot dragging. I like the results. I love the LTE and the nationwide coverage. And...

We really are the illegitimate step children of the Nexus world aren't we?

...to answer your question, see below.

Sent from the red headed stepchild of the Nexii.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Why didn't the original poster add: [stomps feet] [holds breath until turning blue] [yelling, I want everything NOW]

The promise of a Nexus is easy root and ROM. This Nexus delivers on that promise. If you want the latest version go get it. Don't whine to us because you don't have it. It's only your fault that you don't have it.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Why didn't the original poster add: [stomps feet] [holds breath until turning blue] [yelling, I want everything NOW]

The promise of a Nexus is easy root and ROM. This Nexus delivers on that promise. If you want the latest version go get it. Don't whine to us because you don't have it. It's only your fault that you don't have it.

No, but thanks for playing. Please do not lecture people on what your opinion of the "promise" of Nexus is. Your opinion does not equal fact. If it is a fact kindly post the link to Googles statement which demonstrates that.

The update is there but, VZW will not allow it to be pushed.

You sir are clearly one of the smug people who seems to think that because you like to root your device everyone should.

What I am at fault for is believing I could express my opinion without the attitude and attack you have so clearly demonstrated here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Do the GSM carriers have LTE?

Trade offs are everywhere in life, even in mobile technology :)

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper

Exactly my point. Everyone knows that the Verizon LTE Nexus will be the last Nexus to be pushed out an update. If you want spotty coverage and slower download speeds in favor of getting an update sooner, the choice is there to leave. Most phones don't even have ICS yet. If you compare Nexus LTE to Nexus GSM for fastest updates, the GSM wins. Personally, I've have 4.1.2 for about a week now. It's nice to have the latest. It's not groundbreaking. The new Gmail is nice as well. This is not a part of 4.1.2, but nice nonetheless.
My point is...If you get that angry over delayed updates, root. People who root want the very latest, as unstable as some new stuff is. If you choose not to root, that's your prerogative. But just don't expect to have the very latest software first. You will have it before most any other phone on Verizon, just not first.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
No, but thanks for playing. Please do not lecture people on what your opinion of the "promise" of Nexus is. Your opinion does not equal fact. If it is a fact kindly post the link to Googles statement which demonstrates that.

The update is there but, VZW will not allow it to be pushed.

You sir are clearly one of the smug people who seems to think that because you like to root your device everyone should.

What I am at fault for is believing I could express my opinion without the attitude and attack you have so clearly demonstrated here.

Understood. One of us had our point proven.

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I've been seeing post like this about Verizon since I had the Verizon XV6800(sprints mogul) its a dead horse, but feel free to get ur licks in...They (Verizon) don't care, I have to say though VZW has gotten A LOT better, at getting new phones, at or around the same time as other carriers, and now they have have Great phones other companies can't get, and they even got an exclusive period with a Nexus! yes there was a delay, yes 4.0.2 took a long time to come, as did 4.0.4 and then 4.1.1 came relatively quick by Verizon standards, could it be quicker probably, but hey the Network is Fast, and reliable and I wouldn't give that up just to have the latest software...anyway 4.1.2 has barely been out a couple days, give it a couple months and I'll be on here agreeing with you...