My personal initial S9 impressions

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Let's get this out of the way first. The S9 is exactly as I had expected; An incremental upgrade to the S8's design with an upgraded camera and processor.

However, that doesn't mean it's bad.

For one, I don't think the design has aged that much. It still looks good and it is actually quite a bit thicker than before presumably to house the cameras. I personally still prefer the black and silver models.

But the camera hardware is probably the mad part. It's mostly what I expected, especially with its dual aperture, but the sensor itself is interesting. It's similar to the S8 in terms of basic specs, which is a 1/2.6" sensor with 1.4 micron pixels combined with an effective resolution of 12.2MP over a 4:3 aspect ratio. But it now has a layer of stacked DRAM in the actual sensor itself, much like the Sony XPERIA XZ Premium last year, and not only does that give 960FPS at 720p (ironically bested by Sony's XZ2 which does the same at 1080p) but also allows multi-frame processing for up to 12 photos that's tied into the DSP (of which the 845 natively supports). The hardware is superb but it remains to be seen how the software is like.

Other improvements are expected but no less welcome. The Exynos processor is a CPU champ while the 845 handles GPU loads better. Stereo speakers are always welcome and the fingerprint sensor location is now much more logical and should be better for hands of all sizes.

The price, however, actually surprised me. I was expecting a small price bump over the S8, but it's actually largely maintained, maybe a little lower than before (carrier pricing not withstanding). And it seems more countries are getting a 128GB and 256GB SKU for $50 and $100 extra respectively. I hope this becomes a global thing.

All in all, a solid hardware upgrade, but at the end of the day, it's an incremental one and while it is a good phone, I'll be sticking with my Note8 since it does everything I want it to do in a manner that's still relevant.
6c14b65f0121de8b7639dd3d29a6768e.jpg

Last edited:

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Agree with everything you wrote. Overall I’m impressed. And yet, I think I might pick up the Note 8 or Pixel 2 xL instead. Both are great deals on Verizon right now.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Agree with everything you wrote. Overall I’m impressed. And yet, I think I might pick up the Note 8 or Pixel 2 xL instead. Both are great deals on Verizon right now.
The camera hardware impressed me. Everything else was expected.

I'm far from underwhelmed but also not blown away. Then again, no phone has blown me away in years.

Welcome to the maturing market

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm very underwhelmed by the 4GB of RAM and stripped-down camera set-up of the regular S9. That was the variant I wanted to go for. Might look elsewhere now for a spec'd out Android that not so fat and wide.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm very underwhelmed by the 4GB of RAM and stripped-down camera set-up of the regular S9. That was the variant I wanted to go for. Might look elsewhere now for a spec'd out Android that not so fat and wide.
I don't think 6GB of memory is too big of a deal assuming Samsung properly utilizes memory.\

And personally, I never used the secondary camera much on the Note8. It can be useful but I've barely used it in the 5 months I've had this phone. As for Live Focus, I just tend to use the HDR+ port since it tends to do a better job without requiring a set distance and light output.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't think 6GB of memory is too big of a deal assuming Samsung properly utilizes memory.\

And personally, I never used the secondary camera much on the Note8. It can be useful but I've barely used it in the 5 months I've had this phone. As for Live Focus, I just tend to use the HDR+ port since it tends to do a better job without requiring a set distance and light output.

Do you know if "selective focus" does essentially the same thing as "live focus"? The former is the mode used on the regular S9 apparently. Does it do the portrait stuff?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Do you know if "selective focus" does essentially the same thing as "live focus"? The former is the mode used on the regular S9 apparently. Does it do the portrait stuff?
Nope.

Live Focus uses the depth information from the 2 cameras to essentially distinguish foreground from background and then use that info to apply a blur filter to the background before putting the foreground back on.

Selective Focus debuted with the Galaxy S5, and it has worked the same way since. Take a photo of a close-up object, and it will take a couple of shots with varying focal points. From then, you can pick a foreground focus, background focus or all of them in focus.