Almost a Year old and still happy...Thanks Google..Thanks Apple!

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Just spent the last few minutes reading Phil's superb review of the upcoming HTC DLX and thought for a few minutes about how it seemed like one heck of a phone and it will probably be pretty successful, but I didn't have the kind of envy, lust, or regret when I compared it to my now ancient GNEX.

I like knowing that my phone still has more developer support than some newer phones even now and MAY still even have more support than the HTC DLX. Considering it was released the same time as the HTC Rezound, and is still relevant, is pretty cool.

I know it's not a perfect phone, but I know that it can still get the latest software, and should still be supported after the next Nexus is released. And, since it may or may not be coming to Verizon, I hope the GNEX continues to be supported for awhile.

The developer support, the fact that it's running on VZW, a historically closed network, and even it's lack of physical buttons still make this device unique and are just a few of the reasons I am still very happy with this phone.

The fact that Google typically releases only one per year, taking a cue from Apple perhaps is also a plus since it makes waiting easier and doesn't dilute the brand. I look at all the newer phones that have been released since December of last year, and can appreciate the advancements in hardware that have been made, but I don't have to worry that in 5-6 months my phone will be dropped by the manufacturer and software and developer support will die.

I am all about choice, but I think I would go nuts if Google released a new Nexus every 3-4 months and I had to wonder if mine would be forgotten. A lot of the phones released after the Nexus may see ICS, and even Jelly Bean, but will never see any form (official or not) of Key Lime Pie. It's been fun going from Codename, to Kang, to Euroskank, and now JB Sourcery. Who knows what ROM I'll be running when Key Lime Pie is released, but I know I'll be getting it.

Apple is basically the same way and, for those that enjoy the Iphone, I'm sure they enjoy only waiting in line once per year, while knowing that software and developer support will continue several years into the future.

I'm not a huge fan of LG, but I wasn't crazy about Samsung either. I just want my next phone to have have the longevity and support that the GNEX continues to enjoy, so I'll continue to look at all the newer phones with interest, but I don't think I'll really become "envious" until the next Nexus is released on Verizon, whether it be made my LG, Pantech, or even Apple...because I know it could be a long time and wierder things have happened!

Last edited:

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm in total agreement with you. I used to look forward to getting the "latest" phone. However, once I got the GN and started flashing ROMs I realized that my lust wasn't for the hardware but for the software. This phone has performed well and since I can get the latest software for it I find no desire to move onto other hardware.

Eventually it'll die and be hard to get a new GN so I'll have to move on.

The only requirements I'll have in the future are: 1) Easily flashable phone. Probably a Nexus. 2) NO hard keys on the face of the phone. I like turning my phone 180 degrees and having it look and feel like it was right side up.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I've been really happy with my GNex and can't imagine replacing it. I like the phone so much that when BB(BestBuy) was giving them away for free I got one for my wife even through it was almost a year old. It's been a great phone and does what we need.

Sorry for the confusion but BB is BestBuy.

Last edited:

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
A year old already (well 10 months) and this phone still rox. Screen is still fine and project butter on jelly bean has made the phone fly. One year in existence means the phone has has almost one year of development and it shows. The amount of quality 3rd party software is ridiculous. Choosing which custom rom to install can be a chore. And yeah when Key lime is released, we will be one of the first to get it.

Only upcoming phone that has me a little interested is the Note2, but its only a slight interest and my nex can handle another year.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been really happy with my GNex and can't imagine replacing it. I like the phone so much that when BB was giving them away for free I got one for my wife even through it was almost a year old. It's been a great phone and does what we need.

When I was reading your reply the 1st time, I read BB as Blackberry.....That would have said a lot if it was true :)

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you. i have actually been toying with the idea of the S3 for a little bit now. the larger screen, better battery life, S4 processor, and the camera are VERY tempting to me. but there is just something to be said about not having to deal with the problems associated and the wait associated with the latest software.

I am going to Root and ROM any phone i get my hands on...its just me. but being able to run the latest OS on my phone the day or the day after it is released with Minimal, if any, bugs is a huge factor to me. yeah, someone may be able to get KLP on the S3 on day 2...but i highly doubt it will be anywhere near as good as it would be on the nexus.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been really happy with my GNex and can't imagine replacing it. I like the phone so much that when BB was giving them away for free I got one for my wife even through it was almost a year old. It's been a great phone and does what we need.

What is BB?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that would get me to change would be a Nexus device with a 3500 ma battery. Replaceable, of course.

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I was just thinking the other day about how even though a new Nexus phone is coming soon, I am perfectly happy keeping this phone until my contract is up.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
My GNex represents the 1st phone I've owned that a year later I don't wish I could have something else. Sure, the SGIII is sweet and the Note 2 is amazing, but I love my GNex.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Only upcoming phone that has me a little interested is the Note2, but its only a slight interest and my nex can handle another year.

Yup, I'm also a little curious about the Note 2. Compared to the HTC DLX, it has a bigger screen and bigger battery, so in my mind it wins hands down, and could be my next phone down the line, if Google doesn't show anymore Nexus love to Verizon. I was a little surprised at myself when I went on vacation last month and did over 90 percent of my surfing, posting, web browsing, and movie watching from my GNEX, even though I had a 10 inch tablet along. With the Note 2, it would be very easy to give my tablet early retirement!

With that said, I sincerely hope Google and Verizon work something out and that things become clearer on 10/29, but I think there is something to be said for Verizon wanting to be the 1st to have an ICS phone on their network and agreeing to allow the other Nexus features as part of the deal. If they had told Google initially to lock the bootloader, I wouldn't be surprised--the Nexus just seems so atypical of Verizon with no bloatware and total openness, so I know there's a chance we may not see one again. About the only phone I can compare it to is the original Droid, but all of my knowledge is secondhand.

I'd probably be a little disappointed with any phone other than a Nexus, from a modding standpoint. After I dumped my Moto DX, I've forgotten what it's like to have to wait even mere days or a week to root a phone AND more time still to even get a custom recovery in cast things went bad. Google even posts the recovery files openly on their servers.

With Moto, it was always funny in a way because whenever their custom recoveries were uploaded, it was always by 3rd parties on 3rd party sites with posts like "better grab this one quick before it gets pulled and the lawyer comes to your door with a cease and desist letter"

I wish I had more technical knowledge about which ROM features are available because we have the ability to have an unlocked bootloader and custom kernel. I've had the bootloader unlocked within a week of owning the phone, in part for the small thrill it gave me after being unable to achieve it with my Moto DX. I suppose I've taken that for granted to and would be frustrated if the ROMS on other phones didn't give me the same options for customization, even if I didn't use them all.

Last edited:

Eleven

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Phew, you dodged a bullet there with BB. Good thing you explained it pretty quick, I could see the torches and pitchforks coming out!!!

:)