Random/Sudden Volume Jumps on 4.2.2

garreffster

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

Since the 4.2.2 OTA update, I've been getting random sudden volume spikes when listening to music with the Google Music app. I thought it might be related to a Volume+ incompatibility on Jelly Bean, so I uninstalled... but this issue has not been resolved.

This is a particularly bad glitch because the volume jumps basically blow my eardrums off whenever I'm listening with headphones. Lately I've been turning the volume down so that I can barely hear the music, just to ensure that I don't go deaf and/or have a heart attack every 10 min or so when the volume blows up. But this is (hopefully) just temporary until I find a fix...

And when I say it "blows up", I mean it was one volume and then suddenly way louder. There is no gradual increase.

If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it. I'm running stock.

sranger#CB

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Not much help here except to say that I've noticed the same thing. Has also happened while listening to Dogcatcher. Although for me the jumps have not been huge, not enough to hurt my ears. And it's gone up and down.

Also running stock, but rooted. Used an app called Equalizer, but it didn't seem to work well with 4.2.2, so I've frozen the app, but it still happens ...

garreffster

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I started using an app called Volume Locker and set it up to instantly undo any music/media volume changes that occur when the screen is off. It does the job (sort of), but there's still a split second of really loud music before the app kicks in and drops the volume back down to the original level. At least I don't go nuts fumbling for my phone and frantically mashing the down volume buttom... but it's still doing a number on my hearing.

I was also hoping this was just a Google Music issue that would be addresed in a future update, but it sounds like it's happening with other apps as well and is probably some obscure OS glitch that will never get fixed...

coferj

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Not any help here, just came across looking for an answer. I've noticed it with Google music, haven't tried pandora. It didn't happen when I used a line out for an fm transmitter, I did notice. Just since I started using ear buds. On a SGN2, rooted, rom.

Pim Hazebroek

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Same issue here, but I am using Spotify.
I have a brand new galaxy S4... stock, not rooted or anything... also didn't install any apps that might adjust volume like equalizer or anything...
Btw spotify has an option to level the volume for all songs, and that is checked!

I tried to setting up adept sound but that didn't help either...

I mainly listen to spotify using bluetooth streaming to my car... it looks somehow that it is connected to the proximity sensors... (like raising the volume when your phone is in your pocket or something)

Bob Stevens1

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I have this same problem, the only thing I have been able to do to localize the problem was by using the Standard Samsung GS4 Player with downloaded music on my phone. No issues there. I also screwed around with the Google Music Equalizer that seemed to have some effect by changing it to flat, but did not completely alleviate the problem. Very strange.

KoreanGem

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Really Really hate this bug. Happened to me 5 times now. I swear, HTC better fix this. I already have an hearing impairment, along with severe tinnitus. I cant live if my only good ear becomes damaged. IF it does, im filing a lawsuit and im probably will have suicidal thoughts, as there are no cures to hearing loss or tinnitus. Do you know how aggravating it is to hear ringing in your ear 24/7. All i want is for HTC to fix this. :(

Sandra Fowler

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Me too. I'm getting it with Spotify. I thought it was my Aux cable (because I listen to music primarily in my car) but it continued after I replaced the cable. :/ I'll try the suggestion about disabling the equalizer in Spotify - hope it helps!!

ohnoezitasploded

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
+1 for me... Perhaps related to the Samsung Adapt Sound feature?

I've never set mine up-- there's an initialization thingy you have to do. But I'm going to try it and then disable it, and see if that solves it.

Anthony TranHB

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I have the Samsung Galaxy S4 with T-Mobile and I have the same problem of VOLUME spikes up to MAXIMUM during conversation using headphones, earphones and Phone SPEAKER. The volume keeps spiking up frequently every minute or so, sometimes only less than a minute apart.
This BUG, PROBLEM is REALLY ANNOYING and will damage my ears drums.
NOTE THAT: I did NOT have this problem with the Samsung Galaxy S3.

Ozzie_Borealis

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
I have experienced this issue on all audio apps and also noticed that the volume drops somewhere between the jumps. I have not found a long term solution to this problem, but i have found that restarting your phone will make this problem go away for awhile. Though it comes back its better than nothing, still looking for a solution.

BillHaverland

May 23, 2017
Visit site
I was having the same problem with my Samsung S7 - it was so bad that I stopped using the music player - then it dawned on me: It wasn't my phone, player, or system. It was my headphones! There must have been a short in the wires and the phones were sending instructions to the player to start, stop, raise the volume, mute it... You get the idea.

Try a different set of headphones or no headphones at all. It's a miracle!

Samsung_queen

Jun 9, 2018
Visit site
Hi everyone.

So I have the same issue and it has just started happening about 10 minutes ago but I was on YouTube and I thought it was just the YouTubers video but then I went on to this and I saw that everyone was using Spotify and then I realised that this might just be happening to me because I haven't found anyone that it's been happening to on YouTube so please if anyone knows how to fix this issue please help me because if I change the EQ on Spotify it's not going to help YouTube

Samsung_queen

Jun 9, 2018
Visit site
Really Really hate this bug. Happened to me 5 times now. I swear, HTC better fix this. I already have an hearing impairment, along with severe tinnitus. I cant live if my only good ear becomes damaged. IF it does, im filing a lawsuit and im probably will have suicidal thoughts, as there are no cures to hearing loss or tinnitus. Do you know how aggravating it is to hear ringing in your ear 24/7. All i want is for HTC to fix this. :(

I have the same thing with my ears I hope someone can find something to fix this bug soon! :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress