Carrier news - VZ LTE?

Dexter73

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
If this phone has LTE you can bet that Verizon would sell it for $300 with a two year contract. They will also load the phone down with bloatware.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't see the point in VZW launching this device without LTE, to be honest. This phone is definitely the latest and greatest, but getting it with just 3g at this point would really hold it back. I wouldn't imagine that people looking for the latest and greatest device (which this seems to be) would really consider a non-LTE device on VZW by the time this launches. I understand it would be easier and cheaper for them, I just don't see the point. Then again, reports still indicate that the iPhone5 will likely be launching without LTE as well, but its not like Apple fans have other choices the way Android does.

Reactions: cordoni

saillling4life

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
But it seems as if LTE makes the phone thicker. I don't know if it's just the design but the Thunderbolt and Droid Charge are thick in comparision to their 3g counterparts

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
But it seems as if LTE makes the phone thicker. I don't know if it's just the design but the Thunderbolt and Droid Charge are thick in comparision to their 3g counterparts

I will take a little thicker phone to get LTE on the SGS II. There's no way VZW would release a phone this awesome as 3g only when I am sure At&t, Sprint and T-mo will release their versions as 4g phones.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I will take a little thicker phone to get LTE on the SGS II. There's no way VZW would release a phone this awesome as 3g only when I am sure At&t, Sprint and T-mo will release their versions as 4g phones.

As much as I agree, its looking VERY unlikely that we'll see an LTE version anytime soon. VZW may or may not release a 3G version, but it doesn't look like an LTE version will be possible until late Q4 at best. So once again, it looks like VZW is way ahead as far as the network, but in last place when it comes to devices.

kil187

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't see the point in VZW launching this device without LTE, to be honest. This phone is definitely the latest and greatest, but getting it with just 3g at this point would really hold it back. I wouldn't imagine that people looking for the latest and greatest device (which this seems to be) would really consider a non-LTE device on VZW by the time this launches. I understand it would be easier and cheaper for them, I just don't see the point. Then again, reports still indicate that the iPhone5 will likely be launching without LTE as well, but its not like Apple fans have other choices the way Android does.

To put this in perspective, I live in an area where we wont see LTE for at least another year plus. I think Verizon has to choose between how many customers get LTE and how many are still in 3G areas when it comes to releasing phones with a LTE or 3G configuration. I, for one, like this device regardless if it is LTE or not. Dunno if this makes sense, I'm tired.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
As much as I agree, its looking VERY unlikely that we'll see an LTE version anytime soon. VZW may or may not release a 3G version, but it doesn't look like an LTE version will be possible until late Q4 at best. So once again, it looks like VZW is way ahead as far as the network, but in last place when it comes to devices.

Just curious why you feel this way?

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

Don't want to speak for CruiserDude, but I believe he's basing it on the fact that according to BMX, the current generation LTE radio won't fit in the SGII housing -- it'd have to be much thicker to accommodate it. But, that's not to say that a newer generation LTE radio wouldn't fit. So in order to get an LTE radio in the SGII, you have to either beef it up to accommodate the current radio or wait until a thinner, smaller radio comes along. It's doubtful that Samsung would beef it up, which would mean an LTE version of the SGII wouldn't come along for some time. In the meantime though, Verizon could release a 3G version without the need to beef it up.

Prairiedogman

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
If that is true, then rather than wait on an LTE version of the SGII, one might as well buy the LTE Samsung Droid Charge now (assuming the delay won't last much longer). Same display but single core processor and larger form factor.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
If that is true, then rather than wait on an LTE version of the SGII, one might as well buy the LTE Samsung Droid Charge now (assuming the delay won't last much longer). Same display but single core processor and larger form factor.

I think that depends on how important LTE is and whether Verizon does in fact release a 3G version of the SGII. I'm not in an LTE area at least until the end of the year. So, I'd rather get a 3G SGII (if it comes), and then upgrade to an LTE phone when I can actually use it. If they wait and decide only to release an LTE SGII, then I might go ahead and get the Charge (or even the Bionic).

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Verizon could also get the SGS2 as a 3G phone and not be a "Droid" phone instead more media centric device given the storage.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Don't want to speak for CruiserDude, but I believe he's basing it on the fact that according to BMX, the current generation LTE radio won't fit in the SGII housing -- it'd have to be much thicker to accommodate it. But, that's not to say that a newer generation LTE radio wouldn't fit. So in order to get an LTE radio in the SGII, you have to either beef it up to accommodate the current radio or wait until a thinner, smaller radio comes along. It's doubtful that Samsung would beef it up, which would mean an LTE version of the SGII wouldn't come along for some time. In the meantime though, Verizon could release a 3G version without the need to beef it up.

Verizon could then also do a follow up phone with "4G" tagged on it like AT&T and T-Mo do with their pseudo 4G phones that are 3.5G.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Apple understands that LTE tech is still too new and they aren't going to jump in the game this early. Their first LTE handset will be "flawless" just as the Android devices that launch later next year will.

I live in L.A which is blanketed with LTE but I can't deal with the issues that are present with LTE capable phones right now. I can't afford to be messing around with my handset when I have business to do. My phone is mostly used for business and I need it to work ALL THE TIME. Flipping switches, pulling batteries and whatever else is required to get data back is not in my future.

So 3G is what I will go with. I REALLY want LTE but I simply can't afford to beta test. 3G just makes sense for me this year.

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

And still RFS file system and 2.2 instead of 2.3? Not with Samsung's history.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

Dolfancole pretty much got it, but BMX has said that the current-generation LTE radio simply wouldn't fit in the GS2 form factor. Considering that Samsung seems to consider the thin-ness an "essential feature", I don't see them allowing the phone to get much thicker until its been out long enough they can begin to have "spin-off" devices (like the Continuum, or the Charge itself are for the original Galaxy S). Considering we haven't heard anything about a smaller revision of an LTE radio, and any baseband chips that combine LTE with other protocols, or even SoC's that support it natively seem to be a ways off yet.

I'd love to be proven wrong here shortly, but unless Samsung allows the device to get thicker or there's a much thinner LTE radio right around the corner that BMX hasn't heard any rumors of, I don't see how an LTE GS2 could be coming anytime soon. Besides, I would assume that they would wait until the Charge has been out for some time, as they wouldn't want to cannibalize sales. Sure, they can't be too happy with VZW delaying their seemingly finalized device this long, but its still not like they can write their own device off because of it.

I also don't see VZW themselves wanting to sell such a device soon. The Charge has Droid branding, so they likely wouldn't want to launch its big brother without Droid branding too soon afterward, it would confuse the marketplace in their eyes and diminish the Droid moniker. Not to mention that I would expect they want the Bionic to release first and have plenty of time in the sun as their flagship device before launching another similarly spec'd LTE phone.

Again, I'd love to be proven wrong, but it seems the most likely course of action is a 3g GS2 release mid-summer to early fall, with an LTE version no sooner than December. Of course I have no way of knowing more than anyone else, and would LOVE an LTE version now, even if it is thick, I just don't see it happening for some time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non