Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Default Rooting the Verizon Note 2

My N2 is parked somewhere in Memphis. For those who already have it I found this video at the following link on XDA Developers website:

"How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Note II XDA Developer TV"

How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Note II – XDA Developer TV – xda-developers

In the video he walks you through rooting the T-mobile version and provides the links. He mentions that the same can be done for Verizon.

Has anyone who's gotten the Verizon version already rooted their device and if so how did you do it?
    Please post instructions especially links if you have them.

Thanks

Default Re: Rooting the Verizon Note 2

Not that I have read yet and given Verizon's demands to keep the bootloaders locked down I expect it will take a day or two . . . maybe longer maybe less if Samsung leaks the source out for us like the GS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    Not that I have read yet and given Verizon's demands to keep the bootloaders locked down I expect it will take a day or two . . . maybe longer maybe less if Samsung leaks the source out for us like the GS3.
    Already happened. LINK
    Or at least that should be it. Not sure why it says ICS though because that would mean Ice Cream Sandwich...

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ViperRez

wow that was fast, considering all the hoop-la we had to go through with HTC and the Rezound, GESH. I hope it all gets sorted pretty quick, Im going to miss wifi tether.
    Mr Fix-It

Carrier
    Stock Rooted

First thing I'm doing when I get this thing is to root it(if I can). The people from the Rezound forum know me, and I'll put up as nice of a tutorial as possible.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

I also moved from the Rezound to the Note 2. Looks like a common move. I can also vouch for him, he is good at making tutorials.

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

I agree. Root is a must for this phone.

Carrier
    AOKP / Franco Kernel

So who is going to be the first person to attempt this method? Get busy people, we need root asap!

I tried to think of something witty, but this is all I could come up with.

The cwm6-recory-n7100-121014.tar (this works for t-mobile, AT&T and international) fails with ODIN on Verizon Note 2. I hope someone releases a working version soon.

I guess i will wait until it's rooted before i order mine. Not sure if i will keep the GS3 or not

i thought i had read that samsung is the only company that rooting doesnt void your warranty. if thats the case, then why does verizon care?
    Mr Fix-It

Carrier
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by viper31573 View Post
    i thought i had read that samsung is the only company that rooting doesnt void your warranty. if thats the case, then why does verizon care?
    Rooting only voids parts of your warranty. Verizon cares because they don't want to give away free tethering...which is free for all non-unlimited subscribers anyway.

On the root topic, root is in the works and by the looks of things we'll have it sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    Rooting only voids parts of your warranty. Verizon cares because they don't want to give away free tethering...which is free for all non-unlimited subscribers anyway.

On the root topic, root is in the works and by the looks of things we'll have it sooner rather than later.
    but with verizon no longer offering unlimited data why would they care if there is a tether your only going to suck down your data faster and make them more money? and when can we expect to see a root for verizon note 2, i just got it yesterday and love it but i definatly need this thing rooted!! =)

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tansky View Post
    but with verizon no longer offering unlimited data why would they care if there is a tether your only going to suck down your data faster and make them more money? and when can we expect to see a root for verizon note 2, i just got it yesterday and love it but i definatly need this thing rooted!! =)
    because a lot of people still have unlimited data grandfathered in

Ya your right I have unlimited never take my phone off 4G. I am up to 6 gb and still have a week left Ill top off about 8 and I dont tether

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

i've been intentionally using verizon's network since they put in that annoying ongoing wifi notification

you're going to bother me, so i'm going to bother you = )

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ViperRez

foxfi works on this phone for unrooted people. So far im really liking it, and dont plan on rooting until quiet a few roms are out and there is a noticeable difference between stock and rooted.

I too use foxfi and have the full version, so far it works fine and I'm not rooted. Even on my motorola droid 3 (rooted) I prefered foxfi over the rooted option. I would however like root to install adfree.

Carrier
    AOKP / Franco Kernel

I just want to add that without root, my desire to own this phone goes down dramatically. Don't get me wrong. I'm absolutely a fan of the hardware, pen, and screen size. What I am not a fan of is touchwiz and forced bloat apps. There are many little things I don't like about the skin that installing Nova only partially addresses. Bottom line is, if I could put a stock ROM of 4.1.2 on this phone and retain the pen functionality/apps, then I would be in phone heaven.

Jack in NC likes this.

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ViperRez

Quote Originally Posted by killroy420 View Post
    I just want to add that without root, my desire to own this phone goes down dramatically. Don't get me wrong. I'm absolutely a fan of the hardware, pen, and screen size. What I am not a fan of is touchwiz and forced bloat apps. There are many little things I don't like about the skin that installing Nova only partially addresses. Bottom line is, if I could put a stock ROM of 4.1.2 on this phone and retain the pen functionality/apps, then I would be in phone heaven.

They will root it eventually, probably much sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
    They will root it eventually, probably much sooner than later.
    As a new android user of all 4 days, do you mean "tech geeks" will work on finding a way to root it? I assume its the same process and testing procedures as jailbreaking an iphone?
    Mr Fix-It

Carrier
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by killroy420 View Post

Without TW you lose like 90% of the functionality of this phone don't you? I know everyone's down on TW but honestly as long as I can remove the bloat I'm cool. I just want root so I can clear off all the Verizon / Samsung bloat.
    Mr Fix-It

Carrier
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by sudbury78 View Post
    As a new android user of all 4 days, do you mean "tech geeks" will work on finding a way to root it? I assume its the same process and testing procedures as jailbreaking an iphone?
    Rooting an Android phone is different for almost every phone. So the techniques change from phone to phone. Some methods do work on multiple handsets but the norm is to have to find a new way to root the phone. Samsung phones are almost always rooted/unlocked via ODIN.

Via ODIN makes no sense to me but obviously it will soon. Yes, I would like to remove the ample crap apps to make some new room so I am excited for this root process. The fear of bricking it unlike jailbreaking (inability to brick it) is scary though as a noob.
    Mr Fix-It

Carrier
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by sudbury78 View Post
    Via ODIN makes no sense to me but obviously it will soon. Yes, I would like to remove the ample crap apps to make some new room so I am excited for this root process. The fear of bricking it unlike jailbreaking (inability to brick it) is scary though as a noob.
    Bricking a phone via ODIN is ridiculously rare. ODIN re-writes an entire partition on the phone via an image file. Usually by the time we get the images, there are stock ones that you can back out to as well. So yeah it's hard to brick a phone with ODIN. The long and the short of it is that we have two hurdles to cross, unlocking and rooting. We can get one without the other. The unlocking is more important in the grand scheme.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast