YouTube won't work with Multi Window?

flipster

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
This has to be a joke...right?

The whole reason I wanted this phone was because of the multi-view features. It was the phone's main selling point for me. Why the hell would they remove it!?

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I have the International Unlocked GN2 (running on Straight Talk as a test), YouTube, gmail, twitter, facebook, chrome and others are supported in multiview. I picked up the VZW GN2 today and noticed they don't support those, I am taking it back tomorrow. If you are are willing to wait for an update from Verizon, plan on it being a long while. Sorry VZW, this was it for me, your bloatware, lack of vendor provided support, battery life and slow updates...I think I am done.

I am really bothered by the bloat. I also hate that the email app won't retrieve my emails older than 2 weeks even though I have it set to retrieve the last month or 100 emails.
I don't believe Verizon did anything to the multiview simply because of my previous post.
Just because it works elsewhere doesn't mean Verizon blocked it. It could very well just need to be updated.
Of course being on Verizon, we all know how long that can take.
When my contract ends in August, I'm going to have to leave Verizon.

Edit: On xda someone is claiming they spoke with both Samsung and Verizon and they were told the multiview on Verizon's note 2 does need an update to add those missing apps.
They went on to say that it is rumored that the update is coming in January.
Knowing we only have 14 days for returns, and Verizon's track record with updates, I have two choices.
If root is acquired within the next 13 days I'll probably keep it. If not, I have no choice but to return it.

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
tisk tisk
typical behavior from "joe the insider"

joe, you need to get over the fact that your company is the worst carrier out there in terms of customer relations
the only reason why verizon is still alive is because of their network

thank you tari and infmethod for pointing out that I was in fact correct!!!

everyone, its issues like this that make root an absolute necessity!!!
the note 2 is an amazing device but we have to go in and clean up this sh*t from verizon

infmethod

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
tisk tisk

joe, you need to get over the fact that your company is the worst carrier out there in terms of customer relations

the note 2 is an amazing device but we have to go in and clean up this sh*t from verizon

I have to agree with him, Verizon is the worst, excluding network. That's saying a lot coming from Sprint as I was just under a year ago. My Galaxy Nexus, which is supposed to be the most pure version of Android, has barely been updated. I am not someone that roots a phone often, but I had to with that just to get Jelly Bean on there. The wait was insane for it being a Nexus device.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
tisk tisk

Yet every year Verizon is rated best in class on terms of service. The grass isn't always greener. Personally, people overreact and always blame carriers without knowing facts.

I was with at&t and sprint most of my life and the service is even worse. I guess we all are entitled to our opinions.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
tisk tisk

I challenge you to call Samsung and ask them what I asked. You'll get exactly what I said, Verizon had nothing to do with the lack of apps that work with multi view.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Not too big of a deal. Just use the web browser option, and access Youtube.com.

That solves only the problem of Youtube.....I've always been a fan of verizon's network and I've always had great experience with customer service......but verizon's record on updates and fixes is just sad.....still waiting for their gs3 update to jelly bean. so no, as much as i want the multi view to be fabulous, we'll all be updating in a year to the note 3 probably hoping its finally functional, or yes, root and do it ourselves :)

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
and just fyi you can't seem to have two screens of the browser open in multi view. so surfing the net and watching a youtube at the same time.....doesn't look possible.

Mco119

May 24, 2012
Visit site
The lack of proper multiwindow out of the box is disappointing, no doubt about that. With that disclaimer out of the way, I can still say without reservation that this is the finest device I have ever used on Verizon's network, or any network for that matter. I'm a real weirdo perfectionist about the devices I use, and I think this is the closest I've ever come to being 100% pleased with one..I'm at 98.5% right now, and I'd be at 100% if the multitasking was working right. Still, I'm simply thrilled about this phone.

I personally think those of you that are talking about taking your units back because of this multiwindow problem are being totally irrational...you're giving up countless awesome features all over one feature that isn't working right. Oh, and one that isn't working right NOW, but almost certainly will be later on. It might take a week, or maybe a month, or maybe several months. Who cares? We have so many cool things to focus on with these Note 2s that I can pretty much guarantee we'll be kept busy and satisfied.

Verizon sucks. I take issue with them for more reasons than I care to discuss here. I won't be staying with them forever. However, for the moment I'm locked in, and so I'll try to be content with using what's still probably the finest Android device made yet..multiwindow or no multiwindow, this is a damn fine phone.

ETA: I'll keep my fingers crossed that for once we can stay positive about a fantastic smartphone, instead of turning these boards into a haven of negativity and ing over minor issues. Let's stay excited about this one, guys.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Everyone knows how slow Verizon is with updates.
We only have 14 days to return it. You're saying we should accept the missing functions on the hopes that Verizon one day pushes an update.
I don't think taking it back is irrational in the least.
I would rather take it back and purchase it again after the update than to keep an $700 device with missing features while hoping Verizon will fix it after the return period has expired.

Gdauti1981

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
and just fyi you can't seem to have two screens of the browser open in multi view. so surfing the net and watching a youtube at the same time.....doesn't look possible.

Well, look at it this way, at least you verizon guys have that multiwindow feature...us AT&T users have been shafted. AT&T sucks donkey d!ck!

Mco119

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Everyone knows how slow Verizon is with updates.
We only have 14 days to return it. You're saying we should accept the missing functions on the hopes that Verizon one day pushes an update.
I don't think taking it back is irrational in the least.
I would rather take it back and purchase it again after the update than to keep an $700 device with missing features while hoping Verizon will fix it after the return period has expired.

I'm not saying you should "accept the missing functions" at all; my point is that you should focus on the enormous number of things the Verizon GN2 gets right, instead of honing in on the one thing it gets wrong. If you want to return it over this multiwindow problem...well, so be it, my friend. Your call. But you'll be giving up one of the best Android phones ever made (and presumably replacing it with an inferior one) over just this one problem. It's an issue that makes me mad too, man...but not enough to take back such an incredible device. It's like giving up a smoking hot, smart, honest, funny and loyal girl because you think her calves are a little fat. The reality is that few things in life are truly "perfect." You are, IMHO anyway, looking at the tree while forgetting the forest, so to speak. That said..do what you think is best. I'm loving this phone, even though it is currently missing a feature I was really excited about.

Oh, and again, Verizon is evil. But the GN2 remains spectacular.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying you should "accept the missing functions" at all; my point is that you should focus on the enormous number of things the Verizon GN2 gets right, instead of honing in on the one thing it gets wrong. If you want to return it over this multiwindow problem...well, so be it, my friend. Your call. But you'll be giving up one of the best Android phones ever made (and presumably replacing it with an inferior one) over just this one problem. It's an issue that makes me mad too, man...but not enough to take back such an incredible device. It's like giving up a smoking hot, smart, honest, funny and loyal girl because you think her calves are a little fat. The reality is that few things in life are truly "perfect." You are, IMHO anyway, looking at the tree while forgetting the forest, so to speak. That said..do what you think is best. I'm loving this phone, even though it is currently missing a feature I was really excited about.

Oh, and again, Verizon is evil. But the GN2 remains spectacular.

#1 What makes you think I wouldn't dump a woman with cankles? :)

#2 The multiview feature was a huge selling point for many people. The fact that it isn't as robust on Verizon makes that a valid reason to return it at this time. It can always be purchased again after it gets fixed. There is no telling how long it will take Verizon to fix the issue but I can pretty much guarantee that it won't be within the next 13 days.

#3 The blocking mode feature is also missing and apparently many were looking forward to that. That one doesn't bother me as I hadn't heard about that feature until yesterday.

#4 Apparently there is also the matter of s-planner not being available.

I refuse to keep a device past the return period that to me isn't fully functional, unless root access is gained. If we don't get root within the return window I will have to take it back.

PrisonedMuffin

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Multi Window on this thing sucks. Should I return it and get the sprint version, instead? I would have unlimited data (I had to give up my iPhone's unlimited data and sign uo for the Share Everything plan when I upgraded to the Note) as well as more multi window apps, not to mention that I can root it, but there's barely any LTE coverage. I think I might have it in my area, but I'm leaving for Phoenix over winter break, where there is no Sprint LTE coverage whatsoever. Also I don't think is as fast as Verizon's LTE coverage. What are your guys' thoughts? Should I stay or should I go (LOL)?

Tari

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I honestly think if we can pull the Youtube, Chrome, and other Google apps from the Sprint version of the phone and stick them onto our Verizon phones (once we get root), we'll get multi-window support. Unless those apps are somehow special (or incompatible with the Verizon version), multi-window support is dictated by the apps themselves, not by the multi-window feature.

I don't really remember how to do that sort of thing, though, and I don't even have my Note 2 yet. Been down with some ridiculous illness for the past 3 days. I really want my phone, darn it all!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Which is better: Sprint or Verizon? Do I stay or should I switch while I still can?

Depends on what kind of user you are.vweizon has better coverage and speeds but thats where it ends. If you wanr cheaper service with more freedom yet can do with higher data speeds id stay with sprint

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez