Computer will not recognize device...

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else having issues getting WindowsXP to recognized the phone when you plug it in using USB. The phone has a window pop up that the device is not recognized. I think it might be because I do not have the correct drivers. My google searching has lead to nothing but spam and dead ends. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

fyrekraker

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm running win7, but I had, and still have to, use the usb cord that came with the phone . If i try using another cord, nothing happens.

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am using the cord that came with the phone. My wife runs windows7 on her laptop and when I plug the phone into her computer, it updates drivers automatically and works fine. That is why I think it is a driver issue.

bigguy_132

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I came here this morning to post the same thing. I have two PC's that I cannot get to recognize my phone. My work Win8 machine detected it when I first got it, and I was able to copy files to it. I went home and couldn't get it to work. I came into work again this morning, and my PC will not detect my phone at all. I spent two hours trying to get it to work with no dice.

I used a Motorola cable at work and it was working. When I went home I was using the cable that came with the phone, and tried two other cables. I also have tried swapping different USB ports. I used the same cable at work and the same error. Device Manager has an exclamation point on the SAMSUNG Mobile USB Composite Device clicking on it shows This device cannot start. (Code 10).

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation failed.

I have uninstalled the drivers and tried re-installing them with no dice.

Last edited:

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem also on Win 7. After I restarted the Note 2 it worked fine!

BTW, prior to that I had installed Samsung's USB drivers.

bigguy_132

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem also on Win 7. After I restarted the Note 2 it worked fine!

BTW, prior to that I had installed Samsung's USB drivers.

son of a ....i rebooted my note and it works now.....I sware as a computer person I always try to fix the harder problems first instead of rebooting. *facepalm*

richdroidx

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
install both the usb driver and verizon saftware assistant. i installed the driver first then connected my device and nothing. installed the verizon sftwre assistant and nothing. restarted device a few times still nothing. something told me to open vzw software assistant. and as soon i did it recognized my device right away. hope that helps. this was on windows 7

Last edited:

Keegen

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
My computer will not recognize my N2 when using the USB cord that came with it. Have tried everything. But it works every time when I use the usb cord that came with my old Thunderbolt.

Sent using Tapatalk from my Galaxy Note 2.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I can't remember about xp, but with it connected go into device manager and make sure everything is good (no yellow alerts). If you do see the phone right click and update driver, search online. Should fix it

Sent from my SCH-I605

Pye

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
My phone is about to become cellular dust...
When I bought it, it was working fine on both of our computers. Then... Starting this morning... I get the message on my laptop that my phone is not recognised. I tried unplugging the cord and then plugging it back in... No luck. I restarted my phone, no dice. I switched to my dad's computer, same thing, "Device Unrecognisable". I have restarted both phone AND computer, I have gone through the USB "Help" to no avail. I do not know what is happening, and I don't know how to fix it. Help?

Derrick Taylor2

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
what just worked for me is: connect your phone to your computer via USB cord and then turn off your phone and remove the battery then turn your phone back on it should work after that. I hope this helps thank you.

Osama Abusamhadanah

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
My Note 2 has been working fine for awhile, until a few days ago, started to experience the same problem as most users on this thread. I rebooted the phone many times before, then plugged it in, but that didn't work.
Thanks for the reboot solution ***While the phone plugged in to the computer***, that worked!!!

GMax61

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
"... connect your phone to your computer via USB cord and then turn off your phone and remove the battery then turn your phone back on it should work after that." worked for me as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa