spen and gmail, how could google overlook this

daso

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
So I've been having a great time with my note 2 from my S3 and adjusting to the size. After being thoroughly impressed with the Spen, completely love being able to add a drawing or script right into the body of an email. Only thing is that I can do it from my pop mail accunt and yahoo, but unbelievably I can't seem to do it from gmail. How can one of the coolest features on this phone not be available to those that use gmail? Am I missing something?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
So I've been having a great time with my note 2 from my S3 and adjusting to the size. After being thoroughly impressed with the Spen, completely love being able to add a drawing or script right into the body of an email. Only thing is that I can do it from my pop mail accunt and yahoo, but unbelievably I can't seem to do it from gmail. How can one of the coolest features on this phone not be available to those that use gmail? Am I missing something?

That's actually a Samsung thing not a Google thing. Samsung chose not to recompile the gmail app and therefore we get the latest and greatest gmail whenever Google updates it. You can always compose your script/drawing and export it to a picture and send it.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Google didn't overlook anything. Like someone said already,spen is a Samsung thing. Their the ones who will change the compatibility of the spen. Hopefully developers will start using the spen. We'll see how famous it becomes.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
That's actually a Samsung thing not a Google thing. Samsung chose not to recompile the gmail app and therefore we get the latest and greatest gmail whenever Google updates it. You can always compose your script/drawing and export it to a picture and send it.

It's not really a Samsung thing. Google doesn't allow it's apps to be rewritten or altered. Hence the reason Google Apps aren't distributed with Android source code. And it's not likely they ever will.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
It's not really a Samsung thing. Google doesn't allow it's apps to be rewritten or altered. Hence the reason Google Apps aren't distributed with Android source code. And it's not likely they ever will.

I could have sworn HTC re-wrote Google Apps with Sense. Maybe I'm wrong. I barely dealt with Sense

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I could have sworn HTC re-wrote Google Apps with Sense. Maybe I'm wrong. I barely dealt with Sense

I'm 99.999% sure that they didn't. Google licenses its apps to OEM's but doesn't allow redistribution or alteration. I consulted with the great Jerry Hildenbrand and he confirmed that they are off limits. I'm also looking through the developer TOS but Jerry's word is good enough for me.

Last edited:

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
So, you don't know.

Actually I do know. I've now consulted with several ROM developers who have all confirmed that Google Apps are proprietary and Google doesn't allow modification to them. It isn't specifically spelled out anywhere that anyone has been able to point to other than cease and desist letters from Google explaining such. You may read a Google statement on the issue here Google Discusses Cease & Desist Order to CyanogenMod | Android Central and herehttp://android-developers.blogspot.com/2009/09/note-on-google-apps-for-android.html after Cyanagenmod was called to task. Steve Kondik went on to explain the situation here; The Android vs. Cyanogen story - has Google shot itself in the foot by shooting down developer? I've also reached out to several members of the Android dev team and hope to hear from them soon. But as far as I'm concerned, the matter is closed.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Actually I do know. I've now consulted with several ROM developers who have all confirmed that Google Apps are proprietary and Google doesn't allow modification to them. It isn't specifically spelled out anywhere that anyone has been able to point to other than cease and desist letters from Google explaining such. You may read a Google statement on the issue here Google Discusses Cease & Desist Order to CyanogenMod | Android Central and herehttp://android-developers.blogspot.com/2009/09/note-on-google-apps-for-android.html after Cyanagenmod was called to task. Steve Kondik went on to explain the situation here; The Android vs. Cyanogen story - has Google shot itself in the foot by shooting down developer? I've also reached out to several members of the Android dev team and hope to hear from them soon. But as far as I'm concerned, the matter is closed.

Good info. I know that Sense and Blur messed with Facebook and the like and I probably assumed that they played with GMail as well. I actually prefer that they keep their own apps untainted by the UI's out there. So I guess they would have to work with Samsung to get some S-Pen love in the Google apps.. I hope that happens..and soon.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Good info. I know that Sense and Blur messed with Facebook and the like and I probably assumed that they played with GMail as well. I actually prefer that they keep their own apps untainted by the UI's out there. So I guess they would have to work with Samsung to get some S-Pen love in the Google apps.. I hope that happens..and soon.

It would be nice if the S Pen email preview worked with GMail since I refuse to give up it's capabilities and use the Samsung email app. Hell, wouldn't it be great to be able to preview a YouTube video by hovering over it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non