why can't I get Google Map on multi-window menu of my VZW Note 2? (but it shows up in my N7100)

BuyOneGetFour

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I have both the Verizon Note 2 and an unlocked int'l non-US N7100 Note 2.(bought overseas)

I just realized that the Google Map icon does not appear in the multi-window menu of the VZW Note,
but it shows up and works fine in the N7100.... Is this blocked by Verizon or something?

thanks! :)

Frenzytom

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Yes, it is a limitation imposed by Verizon, unfortunately. There are a few Google apps not available for multi-view.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Someone please prove to me that it's being blocked, instead of needing the update that Samsung has stated is needed.

If Verizon is blocking apps from multi view why is it we can modify apps by adding a few lines of code to support multi view?
If it's being blocked then adding support to the apps wouldn't work, right?

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it is a limitation imposed by Verizon, unfortunately. There are a few Google apps not available for multi-view.

The most unfortunate part is that people keep posting this nonsense even though the its been shown to be wrong over and over again.

For the umpteenth time,

Samsung (probably in order to cut down on complaints) has designed the mutliwindow functionality such that an app has to explicitly say it works in the Mutliwindow environment, rather then just allowing every app to show up there. Most apps seem to work fine, but some don't because the screen is designed for a specific range of aspect ratios, or because the app has designed to pause when it didn't have focus. Many people have added support to a lot of different apps without any intervention for Verizon.

This means that at the very least, an app has to be recompiled with the needed flags set before it will show up in multiwindow. It appears that in their rush to get out Mutliwindow support with their initial launch, Verizon did not recompile all of the apps that some other carriers did when they added support for Multiwindow later. Verizon didn't do anything to block those apps, they just didn't provide versions that worked with MultiView. Given the apps that they did provide, it seems likely that the rest will show up in a coming update.

I'm looking forward to that update. Partially to get the additional apps, but mostly so that people will stop spreading the FUD that Verizon has done something to block apps.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
The most unfortunate part is that people keep posting this nonsense even though the its been shown to be wrong over and over again.

For the umpteenth time,

Samsung (probably in order to cut down on complaints) has designed the mutliwindow functionality such that an app has to explicitly say it works in the Mutliwindow environment, rather then just allowing every app to show up there. Most apps seem to work fine, but some don't because the screen is designed for a specific range of aspect ratios, or because the app has designed to pause when it didn't have focus. Many people have added support to a lot of different apps without any intervention for Verizon.

This means that at the very least, an app has to be recompiled with the needed flags set before it will show up in multiwindow. It appears that in their rush to get out Mutliwindow support with their initial launch, Verizon did not recompile all of the apps that some other carriers did when they added support for Multiwindow later. Verizon didn't do anything to block those apps, they just didn't provide versions that worked with MultiView. Given the apps that they did provide, it seems likely that the rest will show up in a coming update.

I'm looking forward to that update. Partially to get the additional apps, but mostly so that people will stop spreading the FUD that Verizon has done something to block apps.

This is precisely the point I was making when I asked someone to prove Verizon is blocking multi view.
I'm so tired of people refusing to see the logic.
I was having the very same debate on another site.

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Any ETA on the 4.1.2 update? Should be soon since Rogers in Canada got it already, right?

sent from Galaxy Note 2

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member