I'm so sad that the Note 3 isn't that much "better" than my existing Note 2....

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I was ready to sell my Note 2 and upgrade to the Note 3.

After reading all the info about the new Note 3, it doesn't seem to have any compelling new features that warrants switching from Note 2 to Note 3.
I felt like telling Samsung's CEO what I really think of the new Note 3: "really? this is the best you can do? are your engineers having a brain freeze?"

In fact, it reminds me of how Apple comes out with a "new" iPhone every 12 months... but each one is only slightly "better" than the previous one.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
They feel their products are awesome the way they are. Samsung is just iterating due to that satisfaction. There's nothing wrong with that, IMO.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I think it's about the current customer base.
They know many if not most Note 2 owners are in a 2 year contract, so there is no real reason to make spectacular changes for the Note 3, but those changes are spectacular for someone on say the S2 or Bionic.

I know many Note 2 owners are planning to switch to the Note 3, but those are people that just have to have the latest and greatest or they fail to realize that the hardware upgrade are upgrades on paper only.

At least that's how I see it.

infmethod

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I was really wanting a 6" display from the Note 3. I, too, feel as if this isn't a big enough improvement over my current Note 2. With that said, they upgraded everything else decently. Maybe I am just getting older and don't need the best...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

After reading all the info about the new Note 3, it doesn't seem to have any compelling new features that warrants switching from Note 2 to Note 3.
I felt like telling Samsung's CEO what I really think of the new Note 3: "really? this is the best you can do? are your engineers having a brain freeze?"

In fact, it reminds me of how Apple comes out with a "new" iPhone every 12 months... but each one is only slightly "better" than the previous one.

Just curious, what features or specs could Samsung have changed that would have made you change your mind?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm disappointed too. Was hoping for a bigger screen size bump, closer to 6". I'm also not liking the new design of the Note 3, in particular the faux leather back with its fake stitching. It looks too much like some type of purse to me. And that stitching? Who's bright idea was that? Looks cheesy as hell! And before anyone says put a case on it, I hate cases, prefer naked. Why didn't they go with a soft touch backing? That would've looked awesome and served the same purpose to reduce slipperiness. Unless there is a better back available that doesn't have the faux leather and stitching, I just can't consider the Note 3. :(

My second issue is the rounded flat end S-Pen and the way it sticks out a bit from the edge of the phone. Compare that to the Note 2 where it curves into the edge blending in with the phone itself. Looks so much better IMO.

This gallery of pix from Engadget show a good comparison of the design between the Note 2 and 3: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 hands-on

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm disappointed too. Was hoping for a bigger screen size bump, closer to 6". I'm also not liking the new design of the Note 3, in particular the faux leather back with its fake stitching. It looks too much like some type of purse to me. And that stitching? Who's bright idea was that? Looks cheesy as hell! And before anyone says put a case on it, I hate cases, prefer naked. Why didn't they go with a soft touch backing? That would've looked awesome and served the same purpose to reduce slipperiness. Unless there is a better back available that doesn't have the faux leather and stitching, I just can't consider the Note 3. :(

My second issue is the rounded flat end S-Pen and the way it sticks out a bit from the edge of the phone. Compare that to the Note 2 where it curves into the edge blending in with the phone itself. Looks so much better IMO.

This gallery of pix from Engadget show a good comparison of the design between the Note 2 and 3: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 hands-on

I would imagine that there would be a back option (perhaps aftermarket) that doesn't have fake leather and stitching.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I would imagine that there would be a back option (perhaps aftermarket) that doesn't have fake leather and stitching.

I sure hope so. I may be in the minority, but that back is hideous! I understand it's a change for the better versus the previous glossy plastic. But C'Mon man, they could've done better, much better! They need to fire whoever gave the green light for this faux leather look IMO. It's just bad design for 2013. :(

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I sure hope so. I may be in the minority, but that back is hideous! I understand it's a change for the better versus the previous glossy plastic. But C'Mon man, they could've done better, much better! They need to fire whoever gave the green light for this faux leather look IMO. It's just bad design for 2013. :(

you're not alone.... the fake leather-looking back reminds me of a Klingon forehead mask....

(not that it matters to me... I use the Otterbox Defender case on every phone that I've ever owned :D )

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
These phones get much bigger people talking on the phone to their head are going to look as ridiculous as people walking around taking pictures with their iPads. Just my opinion

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I was really stoked to jump on the Note 3 but I'm gonna wait a while. I have all the functionality I want in multiple form factors so no rush. The Note 3 may really appeal to someone with a one or two year old device.

Sent from my humble Note 10.1/Note 8.0/S4

ejb1013

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm a happy note 2 owner that actually likes what they did with the note 3. The spec bump seems good enough, the new pen features seem useful, and I actually like the back although I think it looks better in black than in white. The new tweaks they added to the multiwindow feature look useful too. 32gb onboard storage plus sd too. I'm seeing a lot of hate for Samsung's refusal to get rid of the home and capacitive buttons .. I don't get that at all. I'd rather have all my screen real estate than some on screen buttons I can't get rid of. Overall I think it looks like a solid next step in the note series and if my money wasn't funny I'd buy one on release day.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

itstrentb

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I bought my note 2 off contract in January of this year. I recently bricked my note 2 and sent it to the mobile tech guys to get it fixed.

Before i did that, i noticed i wasnt insured for a whole 7 months when i told the VZW guy to add it back in Jnauary. So i thought i screwed. Well while I was sending that off, i noticed I had been eligible for an upgrade since March.

So now that I have my note 2 back and fixed and not under contract, wouldn't it make sense for me to use my upgrade on the Note 3 later this month/next month? The way I look at it, I use my note 2 for testin stuff and my note 3 as a DD.

What do you think?

npunk42

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

iPhones didn't really hit its stride until the iPhone 4. That's a catchy name. Starting out as a great device we can look forward to the 4th gen of the Samsung Note series.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
These phones get much bigger people talking on the phone to their head are going to look as ridiculous as people walking around taking pictures with their iPads. Just my opinion

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

I've been using a BT headset since my first smartphone the Treo 700P.
Smartphones are too awkward to hold up to my ear and get entirely too warm to not use a headset.

almath

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree OP, improved but not by much. They spew all these features and make 8 minute videos of people walking down 3 blocks using every feature, ...right! Remember some of us got the Note 2 with no multiview!!! They're still features on the Note 2 we haven't received. Don't believe all the hype!!

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
What I really wanted is still more battery, Under my current usage with medium screen brightness, and wifi most of the day, I still only get 1 day, I just get more usage than I did on my old phones. I just live and work in a terrible reception area.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I'll be getting a Note 3 on October 10th. I'm so glad it's not any larger or I would have kept the Note 2. The Note 2 is at the screaming limit of what I can hold in my hand.

What are the compelling features that pushes me into the Note 3?
1. 32gb memory
2. 3gb ram
3. 1080 display
4. 2.3 ghz processor

I'll report back here once I get it with a mini-review.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall