Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By weasel123
  • 1 Post By stevenkisor1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default phone is lagging

Hello,

I've had the new update since it came out and I've never had an issue. This past Friday, my phone started to have lag issues. Not all the time but out of nowhere it slows to a crawl or gets stuck and I have to wait until it comes back to normal. Has anyone experience this issue and how can it be fixed?

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

Default Re: phone is lagging

Factory reset worked for me!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Will I lose all my programs, pics and music?

Programs, yes, but you can back them up with Titanium or Rom Toolbox, etc before factory reset. You will only loose pictures and videos if they are on the physical memory of the phone. If they are on your SD card you will be fine.

Not sure why a factory reset would be the first suggested "fix". Will it take care of issues? Usually, but so will clearing the phone's cache, a MUCH less drastic possible fix.

Turn your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 OFF.
    Press and hold the VOLUME UP and HOME buttons while pressing the POWER button. This will put your device into factory reboot menu but don’t worry, you won't lose any of your data.
    Navigate through the options using the volume buttons and choose “wipe cache partition” by pressing the power button.
    Once the cache partition is emptied, you need to choose “Reboot System Now.”
    Note: This reboot may take longer than usual so be patient and wait until the device is active.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    Not sure why a factory reset would be the first suggested "fix". Will it take care of issues? Usually, but so will clearing the phone's cache, a MUCH less drastic possible fix.

Press and hold the VOLUME UP and HOME buttons while pressing the POWER button. This will put your device into factory reboot menu but don’t worry, you won't lose any of your data.
    Navigate through the options using the volume buttons and choose “wipe cache partition” by pressing the power button.
    Note: This reboot may take longer than usual so be patient and wait until the device is active.

I tried your method and it made it worse.

First time in 8+ years of using Android devices I've ever heard a cache clearing making the phone lag MORE. I guess your phone is a one-of-a-kind. Just trying to save you the hassle of a factory reset.

Have you tried a battery pull? With the phone ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait at least 30 seconds before installing the battery and turning on your phone. Hopefully this won't make it even worse.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

First time in 8+ years of using Android devices I've ever heard a cache clearing making the phone lag MORE. I guess your phone is a one-of-a-kind. Just trying to save you the hassle of a factory reset.

Have you tried a battery pull? With the phone ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait at least 30 seconds before installing the battery and turning on your phone. Hopefully this won't make it even worse.
    I was incorrect, so far so good. thank you for the tip.
    srvctec likes this.

This same situation is happening to me, on my Note II on Verizon. The phone is extremely laggy, to the point of completely locking up, or becoming unusable. I have had to pull the battery many times to reset the phone.
    I am deleting apps one at a time, to try to find the culprit, but so far the problem persists.
    Its irrelevant whether its on wifi or 4g, irrelevant how many apps my be running (as shown in Task Manager) and irrelevant how much ram is free.

I will try the method mentioned of clearing tha cache and see what happens. (In the time its taken to type this, the phone has stalled several times, I have to wait on it to catch up)

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by stevenkisor1 View Post
    This same situation is happening to me, on my Note II on Verizon. The phone is extremely laggy, to the point of completely locking up, or becoming unusable. I have had to pull the battery many times to reset the phone.
    I am deleting apps one at a time, to try to find the culprit, but so far the problem persists.
    Its irrelevant whether its on wifi or 4g, irrelevant how many apps my be running (as shown in Task Manager) and irrelevant how much ram is free.

I will try the method mentioned of clearing tha cache and see what happens. (In the time its taken to type this, the phone has stalled several times, I have to wait on it to catch up)

Start the phone is SAFE mode and see if it clears up the problem. If so, you will know it is an app(s).
    Verizon Note 2 on 4.4.2 and Gear 2
    Thanked by:

Thanks Dave, the phone worked great in safe mode.... for about 2 minutes. Then the screen completely locks up, even the hard menu key doesn't funtion. I either have to pull the battery, or wait 5 minutes or more for the phone to start working again.

But now I know its not an app, and probably needs to be wiped. I had to do it after the last update several months ago, and haven't reinstalled everything anyway.

I'll try the cache clearing method first tho.

Thanks guys....

Thanked by:

I have cleared the cache using the above suggestion from srvctec

Now I get the message "Process system isn't responding. Do you want to close it? Ok/Wait " I pressed wait, and its working.

So far, after about 30 min, its working very well.

Thanks much!!

Thanked by:
    1812dave likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Unfortunately I'm still having this issue. I'm going to call Verizon tomorrow and make them send me a free replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by weasel123 View Post
    Unfortunately I'm still having this issue. I'm going to call Verizon tomorrow and make them send me a free replacement.
    Well, a factory reset may fix it if nothing else did. A factory reset (if it fixes the issue) would save the hassle of dealing with Verizon to get a (usually used) replacement phone. They will have you try a factory reset first anyway. Sucks that none of the other suggestions worked.

try it with the SD card removed.
    Verizon Note 2 on 4.4.2 and Gear 2
    Thanked by:

Great advice! Did that system cache wipe and had my phone moving a lot faster compared to before. Didn't even take long too.
    Thanked by:

My phone is lagging too, but no real improvement after wiping the system cache. Do you think it's because of a lack of storage? My internal and external sd cards are almost full and I think it started lagging after I started getting closer to filling up the space. I have a 16gb external sd card, if I buy a 32 or 64gb card, do you think it would help? I do a lot of drawing on the phone and have to keep moving the files out.

Quote Originally Posted by wittiername View Post
    My phone is lagging too, but no real improvement after wiping the system cache. Do you think it's because of a lack of storage? My internal and external sd cards are almost full and I think it started lagging after I started getting closer to filling up the space. I have a 16gb external sd card, if I buy a 32 or 64gb card, do you think it would help? I do a lot of drawing on the phone and have to keep moving the files out.
    Low or limited space on the phone's internal storage could definitely cause performance issues. If memory serves, I think that can happen when the internal storage (Device memory) free space gets to around 1GB or less (to see your storage use and available space, go to Menu, Settings, Storage). So anything you can do to get that free space higher should help performance.

Thanks, Synycalwon. I'll free up the space.

I notice my phone is sometimes laggy too when I have low or overwhelmed signal (Concert, game day, etc) Going to do a format on my phone this weekend .
    My question is it worth wiping the SD card and starting over with it too?

Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Start the phone is SAFE mode and see if it clears up the problem. If so, you will know it is an app(s).
    How do you start the note 2 in safe mode?

Quote Originally Posted by jlost View Post
    How do you start the note 2 in safe mode?
    http://bit.ly/1mTYZD1

Your a ****. This is a place where people cone for help. Not everyone knows everything like you.

Quote Originally Posted by jlost View Post
    Your a ****. This is a place where people cone for help. Not everyone knows everything like you.
    I actually don't know how to get into safe mode but it isn't too hard to search the internet for it. I've been actively involved in dozens of forums for 15 years and one of the things that drives many forum members crazy is someone that doesn't seem to want to do any research whatsoever on their part and just wants someone to give them all the answers on a silver platter.

Sorry if my previous post offended you, but you got your answer, didn't you? Thanks for the name calling- that's awesome.