Question on Odin...

HaVoK_C89

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
What exactly is it? From what I've read it seems to be another way to flash our dervices other than clockworkmod... Am I right?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Install Kies so that you have the required drivers, if you haven't already. Then install Odin. Put your phone into recovery mode, connect with USB. Drag the file you want to flash into the PDA field. Make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked off. Click Start. Wait ~10 minutes and restart your phone, and you're done. There are threads at XDA that explain it a little better, but it was a painless, stress-free flash.

HaVoK_C89

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Install Kies so that you have the required drivers, if you haven't already. Then install Odin. Put your phone into recovery mode, connect with USB. Drag the file you want to flash into the PDA field. Make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked off. Click Start. Wait ~10 minutes and restart your phone, and you're done. There are threads at XDA that explain it a little better, but it was a painless, stress-free flash.

I'll have to check out Kies I haven't used it yet... Just had this phone a lil over a week lol. Seems easy enough do you yourself prefer to flash this way over clockworkmod?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I honestly couldn't tell you if it's easier. I've had my SGS3 for 3 months, and just installed Kies the other day when I rooted my phone. I found a stock image root(4.1.1), so supposedly this doesn't affect the flash counter. The method I described above was stupidly simple. This is my first Android phone, and there was nothing to it. My main interest was getting the 4.2 camera added although I've been messing around with ROM Toolbox a bit. I used GooManager to install the camera, afterwards.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Not really, you can use it to flash a number of things (modems, ROMs, stock images). It's somewhat similar to CWM but not exactly identical.

You can use it to root, but with debugs root tool it isn't really necessary, you'd only need it to return to stock unrooted.

If you're trying to flash a custom ROM than use a custom recovery. You can't flash ROMs like CM10 or CleanROM through Odin.

Galaxy SIII
My Podcast - http://cyberears.com/index.php/Show/audio/6030
My Blog - https://www.blogger.com/blogin.g?blogspotURL=http://bearpastarocketpop.blogspot.com/

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Not really, you can use it to flash a number of things (modems, ROMs, stock images). It's somewhat similar to CWM but not exactly identical.

You can use it to root, but with debugs root tool it isn't really necessary, you'd only need it to return to stock unrooted.

If you're trying to flash a custom ROM than use a custom recovery. You can't flash ROMs like CM10 or CleanROM through Odin.

Galaxy SIII
My Podcast - Podcast Hosting | People Friendly
My Blog - Bear Pasta Rocket Pop

Thanks for clarifying. I just used it to root mine to stock 4.1.1. and wasn't 100% on whether you could flash other ROMs or not.