cyanogen install - S3 SCH-i535 Verizon

lovethepirk

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Huge Thanks for any help, thank you.

Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-i535.
VRBLK3 baseband

Long time iPhone guy been jaik breaking since 2008.

I am confused on cyanogen install. Need advice.

1) best recent tutorial
2) stable or nightly? Where is link for stable?
3) what program to root and unlock? I read theres a ez app and oden something.
4) what program to get into the recovery boot so you can backup phone and wipe cache.

Any advice as well?

lovethepirk

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I am in the process of reading and learning......I am confused here:

Looks like since I have baseband VRBLK3 I need to do this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2046439

I am confused when people say "Flash the recovery of your choice using ODIN v3.07"

Is flashing a CM ROM considered 'flashing a recovery' I am not trying to recover anything I want to install a new OS. So confusing.

I do want to backup my stock operating system though FIRST but can't find a simple tutorial on how to do this to a micoSD card.

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Recovery is a program you can get into before the os loads and where you flash and do backups. You can get there by shutting down your device then volume up the home button and power all at the same time. You also need a custom recovery to root using the root method in your link. By the way that's the method I used to root my device. Very easy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

lovethepirk

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Is the 1st step to just backup my existing stock OS to my microSD card and then copy that backup on my computer for safe keeping?
If so what program do I use to do this....I don't see a 'Backup' function on the Recovery program by doing a power+home+volume, I do see a list of items but no 'backup' item

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
There isn't a backup function for the stock recovery, have to flash a custom recovery first. After rooting that is the first thing I did. Still have the backup on my computer, just in case.

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes tar files only in the pda section. I'm still running stock with only mods are flashed vralhe rpm and re enabled lock screen notifications.

lovethepirk

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks....I successfully rooted and unlocked my phone.....only thing is I forgot to do a backup but am doing that now after the last step of replacing my VRBLK3 bootchain.

Is that going to be a valid backup to have or am I toast for backing up after the fact.

Should I try the newest nightly of CM?

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No it's a good backup, now you have a good starting point if something goes wrong. As far as roms that's your discretion. Nightlys are typically more buggy then stable roms but usually have more features.

lovethepirk

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Install went well just accidentally started with wrong gapps.

Some questions:
1). Google now just crashes before it even loads
2) how do I try s voice?
3) don't laugh but I can't find out how to take a screenshot
4) how do you set up mail to NOT push and fetch updates every so often

Thanks!

xesso

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
As far as S Voice .... the ROM u installed may not have it (I'm not sure cause I am using a mostly stock ROM, not CM). Google now - there again if it is a nightly it may not be working properly, check the thread you got the ROM from and see if that is one of the known issues. If the thread says the ROM has S Voice and Google Now should work then boot into recovery, do all ur wipes (like you are flashing a new ROM) and flash the ROM again, this sometimes fixes some issues. Or you could always look for a flash a different ROM, carefull though, if you flash too many ROM's you will become a crack-flasher....lol

I hope this helped you out some, sorry I could't give you more info.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty