Is your wifi constantly downloading?

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
When I'm in wifi the download arrow is constantly blinking. On for a sec then off. I don't have any push accounts. When on just 3g it doesn't do that at all, no data transfered unless I open a app or so something. It's murdering battery constantly connecting. I downloaded network traffic to try and see what is usually the data but it just shows "system". Help.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 :)

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Like I said, if you have that option enabled, the app can't sync when you're on a mobile network so as soon as it hits wifi, it updates

I believe i saw one of my media apps do that. Now to track it down.... Coming from a thunderbolt it's a huge interface change

Sent from my Galaxy S3 :)

LadyRapunzel

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the EXACT same problem on my SII Skyrocket since the ICS update. I used Traffic Monitor to kill everything that wasn't the OS, and still the download arrow remains. I'm thinking it has to be something in the OS doing it, which would make sense since yours is showing "system" as being what is using the data. My battery is being murdered as well.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I believe it could be related to the router. Will try another wifi network when I get a chance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Buckeye855

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue as well...I just got the phone today, and the download icon is being lit up every other second while on WiFi. I have had my phone plugged in for charging for at least 6 hours now (it was at about 35% initially) and it's just now getting to 100%. This is extremely frustrating.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Might want to give System Panel a try:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=nextapp.systempanel&token=oPAf5hUw

Take a look at the list of active applications and network activity monitor.

I have this app. That's how I know at what speeds it's doing the constant download thing. But it doesn't show exactly what it using the data. Another app, traffic monitor shows that "system" is using the data. But when you click on system it only says that system consists of internal things.

I've at least figured out that this is not related to any apps we may be installing since it still does it on a completely stock phone ( no apps downloaded and no settings changed).

Buck-eye

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Same frustration here. Sorry I have no solution to bring to the forums. I'm hoping someone smarter than me can figure this out. I'll keep checking in hopes this can be fixed.

Battsman

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Count me in the crowd of "WIFI" constantly downloading. I even paid for the full version of System Panel, but that is useless - it doesn't track network usage by the individual app (rather it shows CPU usage by app, which isn't the problem). I am confident this is impacting my battery life - it is NOT impressive right now.

To explain what I am seeing on mine - System Panel shows a near constant receive on the network monitor with a trickling bandwidth ranging from about 4 Kbps to up to maybe 16 Kbps, but typically in the 8-10 kbps. Virtually NO transmit while this is going on.

VERY frustrating.:mad:

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Count me in the crowd of "WIFI" constantly downloading. I even paid for the full version of System Panel, but that is useless - it doesn't track network usage by the individual app (rather it shows CPU usage by app, which isn't the problem). I am confident this is impacting my battery life - it is NOT impressive right now.

To explain what I am seeing on mine - System Panel shows a near constant receive on the network monitor with a trickling bandwidth ranging from about 4 Kbps to up to maybe 16 Kbps, but typically in the 8-10 kbps. Virtually NO transmit while this is going on.

VERY frustrating.:mad:

Exactly what I'm seeing. My download speeds are a little slower. Network traffic app helped me pin it down to "system" traffic which I'm sure yours is. I'm thinking about slowly ripping everything out of the stock rom and seeing when the wifi downloading stops.

To save battery I'd reccomed everyone to have wifi disable when the phone is asleep. That way when you're not actively using the phone wifi is off.

techdeskjocky

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
This is happening to me as well, but I'm not seeing a drop in battery life at all. Remember, this phone is constantly going on about WiFi network availability. It could have something to do with some sort of signal "keep alive". Maybe it polls a small amount of data to maintain priority on the network?

Given my experience with the Galaxy Nexus battery life, I purchased a giant battery via Amazon for my SGS3 in the first 24 hours that I had the phone. It hasn't even arrived yet and I'm much happier with this phone. The stock battery is doing the same job that the extended battery on the GNex did. When I say extended battery on my GNex, I don't mean the 2000+ mAh garbage that the carrier tries to sell you. I went online and purchased a 3000+ mAh battery with a larger battery door that increased the thickness of my GNex two-fold.

Aside from Touchwiz, I'm very happy with this phone. I've resolved just about every qualm I had with Touchwiz (camera app, gallery app, sms / mms text size conflicting with the system font size, LED indicators, etc). I'm actually very happy.

A word of advice: Try the power saving feature that is built into the phone. With moderate use, I got 20+ hours with the factory battery. I never turn off 4G and I constantly have corporate mail sync enabled.

pedorro

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to re-confirm tonight, but I'm pretty sure I only see this behavior when connected to my work wifi. I don't think my home network has the same problem. While at work though, if I connect to wifi the download arrow is nearly constantly active and it totally kills my battery life.

This leads me to believe it has to do with the router (as was suggested somewhere above), not ICS or the phone or anything. Can anyone else confirm this?

--
Samsung Galaxy SII - ICS

pedorro

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
FYI - I have confirmed this is only happening at work. So something about the router is causing this. Some odd wi-fi setting in the phone may still be to blame, but it is a noteable difference.