VZW S3 intermittently saying "No SIM"

goldakma

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Just got my replacement phone in the mail. So far so good. I did find it interesting that on the clear plastic cover on the phone it said "updated" on it. Curious to know what update this is, hopefully its for this issue

DannyG129

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Second phone, 3rd SIM. Still acting up. It only happens inside or within 10 ft of my home. I can establish a call outside this radius and walk into my home and keep the call going, but once I disconnect the next out-going call or text fails with no sim card message to follow.

I'm going to try to get Engadget on it...everyone else should try too.

https://twitter.com/engadget

djjaeger82

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm thoroughly frustrated again. I logged a ticket with Verizon last thursday night that was escalated to the systems/network engineering team. Called back tonight to get the status and they closed it out saying the coverage in my area is weak. Makes absolutely no sense since I've lived here over 5 years and have gone thru a Motorola Razr, Palm Centro, HTC Touch Pro 2, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global, and Droid 3 all without any issues in this area. The fact that the phone thinks there is No Sim and that the signal drops the millisecond after I hit send in a text or talk to place a call screams of a software/firmware issue. I just wish Verizon would acknowledge it. The rep on the phone looked into all of the tech-bulletins again (aka known issues with the phone) and this still has not made the list. He found that there were some software updates tentatively planned for Sept/Oct timeframe but I'm not sure I'm willing to wait that long for a fix.

BTW I tried sending this to droid-life.com as a news tip and never heard anything back, maybe if we all pile on to endgadget together we can make some headway. I may also take some videos (Already have screenshots) to demonstrate the issue and post to youtube.

If it wasn't for this one damn problem this would be the perfect phone for me!!

ttva

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Just got off the phone with VZW tech support. They didn't have a record of escalating my issue, but did know that I had called in previously (Tuesday night). While the rep and I were discussing the issue, I mentioned that there were at least two Internet discussions where people had encountered the exact same problem I was having. She asked for the links, so I sent her the link to this discussion and the discussion going on in the Android forum on the VZW web site: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/841379

Hopefully, something will come of out it.

lin6889

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Just got my replacement phone in the mail. So far so good. I did find it interesting that on the clear plastic cover on the phone it said "updated" on it. Curious to know what update this is, hopefully its for this issue
Please let me know if this "updated" will correct the "NO SIM" error problem. Thanks!

hemp1217

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
After 10-days of working with Level 2 support, three phones, four SIM cards, and multiple interactions with the network folks, they found the issue on the network in the area I work, made an update and I am now sailing free. I haven't had an issue all day. So there is hope and I am pleased that I stayed with the G3. The VZW folks I worked with were very diligent in getting to the root of the problem and fixing it. :D

eggman211

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Great news for you hemp1217! I'm currently at the end of a second round of "should be resolved in 24-72 hours." Would you be willing to give up your support ticket# for the rest of us to refer tech support to?

ColdBrew

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, even after switching phones I am having the problem.

The sequence is 1) you place a call; 2) the signal strength meter goes to zero bars; 3) you receive an "Out of Service Area" message; 4) the "no SIM" message is shown on the top-left side; 5) the phone reconnects to the network; 6) the signal strength meter redisplays bars.

This is what happened to me today. Except it didn't start with a call but instead a text.

ttva

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Great news for you hemp1217! I'm currently at the end of a second round of "should be resolved in 24-72 hours." Would you be willing to give up your support ticket# for the rest of us to refer tech support to?

Yes, please share the ticket number if possible. I still have the email address of the support rep I was working with recently. It would be great if I could point them to the solution that worked in your case.

hemp1217

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Yes, please share the ticket number if possible. I still have the email address of the support rep I was working with recently. It would be great if I could point them to the solution that worked in your case.

The network trouble ticket number is 5467567. Good luck. Hope the resolution fixes your issues.

Reactions: eggman211

jcondon

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I got another No sim message today. This time on 1x at work. It cleared itself in a few mins. Coverage at work is horrible.

Yesterday I had my data turn off on my drive home. I think perhaps it was me messing with the settings with phone info app.

I will have to watch this a bit more closely.

I wonder if No sim is an erroneous error message and it maybe should display no data or something like that.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Just as a temporary emergency fix have you tried installing google voice and sending sms through gv? It might work even though conventional sms won't because it uses the internet. Of course you still can't make a phone call.

jcondon

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
For some reason Google Voice I just don't get. I don't get it something just doesn't click for me when people explain it to me.

I don't care that I lose SMS (although I was trying to send one today). It is annoying to see a signal strength but have no data at all (and voice).

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh I know it is a far less than satisfactory alternative but a lot of people use gv anyway (for free visual voicemail) so if you text regularly it might be an emergency alternative. I'm not even sure it would work. I believe the new xfinity app also sends sms although I've never tried it. I don't particularly recommend joining GV if you're not already using it for visual voicemail. What I hate about it is once you join you can never take your phone number off the GV account unless you give it another number. There's no way to simply remove your number and not give them another. You can shut off all their services but they still have your number.

I rarely make or receive phone calls but sms constantly. Just me.

alby1a

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I am also having same issues in Murfreesboro TN. I just talked to VZW tech support. They told me that the aforementioned network trouble ticket is still listed as unresolved. I was also told that I probably have a different tproblem because my trouble ticket says "noSIM error" and the other one says "out of service area". Good grief. I guess it just depends on who answers your call to determine if u get actual "HELP" or just a lot of I'm sorry for tour trouble.

alby1a

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Also, I was told that they aren't getting many calls about this and there will probably be no fix until they have more complaints. If you are having similar problems PLEASE call tech support and get it logged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89