Throttling?

palmettodeuce

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
How can I tell if I'm being throttled on my unlimited plan?? I've gone over 2 gigs this month. I'm getting constant pop ups telling me there is an available wifi network, and my 4G speeds seems to be getting slower?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ajnevares

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
How can I tell if I'm being throttled on my unlimited plan?? I've gone over 2 gigs this month. I'm getting constant pop ups telling me there is an available wifi network, and my 4G speeds seems to be getting slower?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Well as for the pop ups, those are going to pop up regardless on the S3...and as far as I know there is nothing that can suppress that. The throttling, Verizon claims they are not throttling but I have noticed every now and then when I start getting in the teens of GB usage, I slow down as well.

davidsnoodles

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Verizon does throttle and they mention it on their website somewhere in there. It states that Verizon will only throttle if there is a lot of congestion on the network in your area and once the congestion clears up they will increase your speeds again. They do not do any monthly throttling if you hit a certain amount of data used. I'm at about 12 gigs right now and I still get about 30 gbps in certain areas of my town.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Verizon does throttle and they mention it on their website somewhere in there. It states that Verizon will only throttle if there is a lot of congestion on the network in your area and once the congestion clears up they will increase your speeds again. They do not do any monthly throttling if you hit a certain amount of data used. I'm at about 12 gigs right now and I still get about 30 gbps in certain areas of my town.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

That's 3G only. IIRC they can't legally throttle LTE due to the block C requirements.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's 3G only. IIRC they can't legally throttle LTE due to the block C requirements.

According to verizon, they don't throttle, only network optimize 3g devices. 4g devices are not network optimized. Although network optimization is imo a form of throttling, I just wanted to provide Verizon's official statement.

http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html

Reactions: JSun

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
ha. So according to Verizon throttling is reducing speed for an entire billing cycle and network optimization is reducing speed only when congested. Man they're brilliant.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
ha. So according to Verizon throttling is reducing speed for an entire billing cycle and network optimization is reducing speed only when congested. Man they're brilliant.

It is a marketing ploy, nothing more. They can say att, tmo throttle, we don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa