can the S3 use free tethering app like VZW Galaxy Nexus?

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I've been using free wifi tethering app on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus since December.

If I switch to the Verizon S3, will I be able to use the same app to get free wifi tethering?

bigddyz

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I noticed I could turn on the built in hotspot and connect To it. So I called Verizon and the rep said i was not getting charged so enjoy it.

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm guessing those who are able to use the free hotspot don't have unlimited data. I'm asked to call for subscription info when I attempt to open Mobile Hotspot on the S3.

On the GNex running AOKP nightlies, the tethering app is built-in and bypasses VZW security checks, unlimited data or not.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing those who are able to use the free hotspot don't have unlimited data. I'm asked to call for subscription info when I attempt to open Mobile Hotspot on the S3.

On the GNex running AOKP nightlies, the tethering app is built-in and bypasses VZW security checks, unlimited data or not.

the stock mobile hotspot app works fine for me even without root and subscription, but you would need to activate it with a third party widget like power widget or elixir..

Reactions: jdk2

deputyvrod

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Easiest way is to purchase an app called Extended Controls from Play Store. Its $0.99 and worth it. This app allows you to create a widget on your home screen to toggle on/off hotspot. Which bypasses the verizon intetnal toggle and does not ask for subscription. Works great on my GS3

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress