Should I buy the Verizon GS3?

emburybrett1

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
So I may get on a family plan and am looking at the Verizon Samsung galaxy s 3 or the Verizon iPhone 5 (I know you people should shoot me for even saying that that.) But anyway is there any reason not to get the GS3? How's the battery life, Texting, and voice calls. Also I don't know if anyone knows but how do plans work with the new share everything if there is already a family plan on the account. Will we have to change the account plan or will they give me a 2GB data plan.

emburybrett1

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Also is it worth rooting and flashing a different rom? I have rooted and flashed different roms on every last android I have ever owned

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Well, anyone here is obviously gonna recommend the GS3 over the iPhone...so I'll just breeze past that....

It's a great device. People will give you different opinions on battery because different people use their phones in different ways, but I honestly have no issues with the battery -- most of my iPhone owning friends seem to get about the same kind of life out of their device...really just depends on how much you use it.

I don't know the current situation of your "family plan", but it's not already on the share everything plan, I'm pretty sure you'll have to switch over to get a new device added to it. This applies to either phone, of course.

As far as the rooting question, that's entirely up to you. It's a great option to have, but the Stock OS on this device is pretty decent.

emburybrett1

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for you input. and I know that I didn't think I would get any one to say iPhone as most people hate apple and Im not a fan of them but the iPhone 5 seems like an ok phone right now. Also what about the color? I like the blue just because I have seen it in person and the black one just looks weird to me.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree on the black one. If you know someone who has one try it out. I tried to try it out in the VZW stores but it's impossible to get a real feel with that retractable wire thing attached to the back.

emburybrett1

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
yeah I know what you mean. and I have messed with a friends gs3 and it's a big phone but That's just because I'm used to a 4.3 inch screen and not a 4.8 inch screen.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Once you start really using one, you'll be surprised how fast you get used to it. I went from a sliding keyboard Samsung Epic to this and after a few days I felt 100% comfortable with it.

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The s3 is a terrific phone. I have only had a few very minor issues that u can't even remember off the top of my head. The options for customization is really what seals the deal for me. I love being able to install the keyboard that I want if I don't like the stock (I use SwiftKey) and alter the launcher or whatever else I want. I do not root but I have been very happy with the stock rom.

My wife uses an Iphone and she absolutely loves it. One benefit I see with them is the software updates. When a new one rolls out as long as your phone can run it you can get it all on the same day. It has a lot of great apps that ibcsnt get for our kids but that is all dependant on if you have kids if that matters (most of the ones I'm talking about are Disney apps).

As for battery I am a light to moderate user but even on my heavy days I don't have any trouble getting through a full day of usage. I live in a fairly reliable 4g area and that is pretty nice. The speeds pulled down are pretty fast. The 5 does not allow simultaneous voice and data too for what it's worth.

That's my 2 cents. Love my s3 and would recommend it to anyone looking for a phone. Great device and great price recently too.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Edit: I moved from a dinc with a 4.3 inch screen and it only took me a few days to get used to the new size... I will never look back! That 4.8 inch screen is gorgeous don't let anyone tell you differently.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to switch to the share everything plan.

This was my first smartphone after the share everything plan came out. I just asked if I can do a regular tiered plan and they said sure.
Maybe since I was already on Verizon. If you're a new customer, you might have to go with the share everything plan.

Nutzer

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
How is the audio quality for music on the GS3? I read that the Verizon GS3 has a different audio chip then the international version. Is the audio quality on par with a ipod touch or iphone5? I carry two devices my G Nexus and ipod touch. Would like to just use one device.

Thanks!

musicjunky234

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
How is the audio quality for music on the GS3? I read that the Verizon GS3 has a different audio chip then the international version. Is the audio quality on par with a ipod touch or iphone5? I carry two devices my G Nexus and ipod touch. Would like to just use one device.

Thanks!

The audio on the gs3 is amazing, I myself have no problems with the audio quality, and I'm a major audiophile. If your serious about your audio there are different media players that will enhance the music experience on the gs3

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

mookster

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
After a few days with mine, I could never go back to an iPhone. I came from a 4S and the GS3 is stunning. ICS is completely different than GB. I had a rooted Dinc before my 4S and the GS3 blows them both so far away there's no comparison. I have skinny hands but long fingers so the phone is perfect for me as far as texting and utilizing all the screen. Enjoy it.

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I am a heavy user with data text and email. Don't use it as a phone as hearing impaired. I am very happy with battery. It may go down to 30% around 5 pm. It takes a fast charge for short time to get it to 70% then use thruout evnening. I charge overnite Love this phone.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

nation001

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same situation, decided to get the gs3 because of all the customization you can do, iPhone is nice but if you want a simple software that is the same as the old ones then iPhone is for you

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Dizzo1992

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I have the galaxy s3 and my girl has the iphone 5 both are beast phones depends really what your looking to do on the phone.

The amazing galaxy s3 :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress