Changing global mode?(jellybean update)

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I just updated the phone and as I was logging in it stated"switching to global mode"

If I go overseas, is there an option I have to change to make it work? or is it automatic?

James Changstein

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I've read that this new "Global Mode" will allow Verizon users to simply insert a SIM into the S3 when travelling overseas. But I haven't been able to confirm this statement... I'd love for someone to explain.. I need this feature because I travel much and I hate carrying two phones overseas...

Please someone chime in, please...

cheers,

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm worried that the update will just allow us now to roam on GSM networks using our verizon sim card. So we will be paying verizon's expensive roaming charges. I want to be able to put in a foreign prepaid GSM sim card and save money this way while traveling. Will this be possible? Or will I need to GSM unlock it somehow?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

PerryHarbin

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
You can disable this and switch back to LTE/CDMA and "deny" data roaming by going to Settings -> More Settings -> Mobile Networks.
The default was to deny roaming, so just change preferred network mode to CDMA/LTE/EVDO. I got the JB update just a couple of hours ago, and noticed the same note pop up on restart.
There is also the option to only allow the data roaming for specific trips.

NewPepper

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
In the U.S. is there any reason to change this from Global Mode to LTE/CDMA? I do not travel out of the country. I'm wondering if it really matters as long as I'm in the U.S.

titans30dude

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
In the U.S. is there any reason to change this from Global Mode to LTE/CDMA? I do not travel out of the country. I'm wondering if it really matters as long as I'm in the U.S.

As long as you are in north america you can switch it to lte/cdma since if you were in global mode and you had no signal it will search not just for cdma but also gsm frequencies also meaning more battery drain

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
As long as you are in north america you can switch it to lte/cdma since if you were in global mode and you had no signal it will search not just for cdma but also gsm frequencies also meaning more battery drain

Is there any evidence of this? I have it on Global but haven't been in an area without signal, but I'm just curious

titans30dude

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Is there any evidence of this? I have it on Global but haven't been in an area without signal, but I'm just curious

Yes when you have no signal on global it will search for all bands leading to greater battery drain

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Yes when you have no signal on global it will search for all bands leading to greater battery drain

I've been running the leak for a while, and while I can't actually confirm this, it seems to do better switching between 3G and 4G when on LTE/CDMA mode vs. global as well....

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site

I've been running the leak for a while, and while I can't actually confirm this, it seems to do better switching between 3G and 4G when on LTE/CDMA mode vs. global as well....

Got it. Thanks. I'll stay on LTE then

Trilliumknits

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I switched back to LTE from global because in global mode it kept thinking I was leaving the country when I drove out of my county. So funny, only off by about 150 miles.

Harry Lin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've read that this new "Global Mode" will allow Verizon users to simply insert a SIM into the S3 when travelling overseas. But I haven't been able to confirm this statement... I'd love for someone to explain.. I need this feature because I travel much and I hate carrying two phones overseas...

Please someone chime in, please...

cheers,

I tried with Singapore Singtel prepaid and its working for the voice and SMS, but no data. Because for some reason it doesn't have the option to add the apn. When you go to apn menu it doesn't have anything or menu to add the apn. And then I tried with the international s3, everything are working, you just put the simcard and everything should be working but not for our verizon s3. only the voice and SMS. Tried with 2 galaxy s3

Maybe somebody know to fix it.

Myself

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
mine keeps asking to switch to global mode, about every 30 seconds or so. I hit cancel, go back to whatever i was doing, and 30 seconds later it pops back up. I dont have cell service where i live currently, but i still would prefer to keep on lte/cdma mode. Any ideas or fixes for this?

charlie888w

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
few time i spoke Verizon GLobal Support, and was told simply change setting-wireless network-more setting-mobile network-network mode and change to GSM/UMTS after insert foreign sim card. I feel is not as simple as that. Without being able to change APN setting how data will work ?

windstrings

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I was told by verizon tech support "after updating to version 4.11" that when your in a fringe area it prompts you to give you the opportunity to reestablish connection.
If You simply leave it on global mode "allow access for all trips", it won't prompt you and you will not be charged if you don't have or subscribe to a global data plan.
For verizon customers its best to put the "network mode" option to LTE/CDMA/EVDO

However before you go out of country call Verizon to discuss your options or leave it on airplane mode during the trip.
Alan...
Sent with Tapatalk 2

Brent Goeller

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
everybody is concentrating on the roaming issue. i have a droid 4 and travel to korea a lot. i have a sim card for a carrier over here and just switch them. android freaks a bit and i have to relog into everything but everything works fine. i use the same phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress