iPhone to Galaxy S3? Convince me!

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm straying from the Note 2 forums (my new phone), to get some advice to push my wife over the edge in her decision to get an S3.

She has an iPhone 5 now and I LOVE my Note, but I keep telling her the S3 would be better for her (she came from a Droid X).

What are the main differences that she would notice (besides size, obviously)? Anyone here come from an iPhone?

Also, an insurance question; If this change to an S3 happens, it will probably be a swap, so I wouldn't have Verizon's insurance any more. Can anyone suggest a decent cell phone insurance company?

Thanks all...

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Came from 4 years on iPhones. Probably the biggest is customization but with launchers there is a learning curve and some people are turned off by this. Where Apple excels is the out of the box simplicity, "it just works" mentality. Customization, menu features, NFC, swapping pics and info with NFC is one of the biggest reasons why we switched. Everything syncing via Google was also huge for our growing business and while it's there in some form on the iPhone the calander, gmail, business stuff just seems more robust on Android and for obvious reasons.

I wouldn't push too hard, some she may just like the simplicity. I would let her use your Note 2 for a day and explain the features. If after a day or two she doesn't like it just drop the issue.

Insurence for us is either an Otterbox or Ballistic case ;)

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Insurence for us is either an Otterbox or Ballistic case ;)

That's funny, but I'm sure you're serious too!!

I had thought about that too, and I've NEVER dropped a phone where it has cracked or broken it, but my main concern is something I CAN'T control - like internal issues.

b_leonard

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Also, an insurance question; If this change to an S3 happens, it will probably be a swap, so I wouldn't have Verizon's insurance any more. Can anyone suggest a decent cell phone insurance company?

Thanks all...

I actually had the same problem with insurance. But I called them and they said that as long as the phone was on your account they would insure it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
That's a tough one. I love the iPhone - especially the 5. iOS6 does what it does and stays out of your way - for sheer simplicity you can't beat it. And the hardware is a work of art. But I also love the S3 and android in general for the customization - I can make the phone just the way I want it. Some folks like their phone to just work with no fussing, and that's iPhone. But everything about the S3 screams play with me. If you have that mind set, there isn't much that can beat Android.

You might also want to wait for BB10. I know I am - I have cash aside to buy it already. That looks like a SWEET handset.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Once she gets used to the screen she may never go back to the small iPhone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I think it depends on what you're doing with the phone. The iPhone screen is amazing, but yeah it's considerably smaller than the GS3. Since I use my phone as an ereader quite a lot, that bigger screen is awesome. However if I were just making calls, texting and other things that did not require extensive staring at the screen I'd be happy with iPhone just for the smaller form factor. I don't want to sound like devils advocate here, but the fact is I think both are superb and we can't make that call for you.

I did come from iPhone, and I still have an iPhone 4s for my job. Which just sits, unused. I am heavily into Apple hardware with an iPad 3, iPad Mini (I *love* that thing! - better than the 3!) and an iPod Touch v5 to act as a tote-around iPad. It works amazingly well. And also lots of Android stuff including a TF700, TF201 and a N10 - and of course the S3. And a dead N7, which annoys me no end. So as you can see I'm pretty familiar with the hardware

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think it depends on what you're doing with the phone. The iPhone screen is amazing, but yeah it's considerably smaller than the GS3. Since I use my phone as an ereader quite a lot, that bigger screen is awesome. However if I were just making calls, texting and other things that did not require extensive staring at the screen I'd be happy with iPhone just for the smaller form factor. I don't want to sound like devils advocate here, but the fact is I think both are superb and we can't make that call for you.

I did come from iPhone, and I still have an iPhone 4s for my job. Which just sits, unused. I am heavily into Apple hardware with an iPad 3, iPad Mini (I *love* that thing! - better than the 3!) and an iPod Touch v5 to act as a tote-around iPad. It works amazingly well. And also lots of Android stuff including a TF700, TF201 and a N10 - and of course the S3. And a dead N7, which annoys me no end. So as you can see I'm pretty familiar with the hardware
My wife is on a blackberry and is considering the iPhone. I honestly think this may be the easiest path for her as android does open a lot of doors that some people just don't need or want. I have been trying to convince her to go with android but have come to the realization that I may be digging a hole that I don't want to fill. I am a tinkerer too so I appreciate playing with my phone and changing it to suit my needs. She on the other hand is not so inclined, so although I want her to go Android I can't help but feel that an iPhone is the best place for her to get her feet wet. And if there are limitations with the iPhone I can point and laugh at her.:D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
My wife is on a blackberry and is considering the iPhone. I honestly think this may be the easiest path for her as android does open a lot of doors that some people just don't need or want. I have been trying to convince her to go with android but have come to the realization that I may be digging a hole that I don't want to fill. I am a tinkerer too so I appreciate playing with my phone and changing it to suit my needs. She on the other hand is not so inclined, so although I want her to go Android I can't help but feel that an iPhone is the best place for her to get her feet wet. And if there are limitations with the iPhone I can point and laugh at her.:D

BB10 is coming!!!!! I just cannot wait. I loved my 9930, but the app selection just.... went away. Sad.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Basically the differences software wise boils down to features and options. Android gives you lots of options for most everything. Apple refuses to give you these options because they might make you have to think for a second about what you want. Apple only wants you to have what they want. This is their definition of "simple" and "just works". A lack of options.

If you don't like these decisions, get the Iphone. It's really that simple.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Basically the differences software wise boils down to features and options. Android gives you lots of options for most everything. Apple refuses to give you these options because they might make you have to think for a second about what you want. Apple only wants you to have what they want. This is their definition of "simple" and "just works". A lack of options.

If you don't like these decisions, get the Iphone. It's really that simple.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

And, really, there is nothing wrong with the decisions Apple has made. They are just more limiting. You're talking to a bunch of inveterate tinkerers here. We play with our phones because we like to, not because the phone is unusable if we didn't. My last Android phone ran 2.2. It was fine. But I was sure not happy with it, because dad gum it, there is a new version of Android out there! :p

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
BB10 is coming!!!!! I just cannot wait. I loved my 9930, but the app selection just.... went away. Sad.
I have a friend who works for Best Buy head office in Canada and he played with a BB10 phone and said it was very cool. Intuitive and that it felt polished. I hope they can pull off a miracle. My wife might want to try it, but they won't be getting my money. :p

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
And, really, there is nothing wrong with the decisions Apple has made. They are just more limiting. You're talking to a bunch of inveterate tinkerers here. We play with our phones because we like to, not because the phone is unusable if we didn't. My last Android phone ran 2.2. It was fine. But I was sure not happy with it, because dad gum it, there is a new version of Android out there! :p
That is why I bought a Nexus 4 :D

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

This is correct.

For the first few months with an Android phone, I didn't change the thing much. Tailored the settings to my liking, but not much else. Then slowly i realized I could replace the stock apps I wanted to with stuff from the market. So I did. I have not even seen the stock browser in months lol because android allows you to completely integrate another one. Same thing with the SwiftKey keyboard and others.

Later I discovered unlocking and flashing custom roms and found all kinds of new options. And done with the aid of htc and Google. Not like apple where they would destroy jailbreak forever if they could.

Point is you can be happy going as far as you want. And if you want to go farther, the option is readily there unlike with Apple.

I and if anyone has not tried SwiftKey, do it NOW. It's free to try. I will never own a phone without it again as far as I can see. The thing is freaking amazing.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

kurosenpai

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Im one of the smartphone users that jumps to android phone. I own an iphone 4s But changed to galaxy note. Iphone isn't a bad phone and its ecosystem is ok but one thing i like about android is the way its app integrated with android and other apps. Peoples says its easy with ios but i think android is far easier. And after using dropbox i tend to realize that apple cloud storage isn't that great at all

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Bottomline is unless you can convince your wife to value the freedom to customize her phone she may just be better off with the simplicity and practicality of her iPhone. Android sure wasn't meant for everyone, although recent trends in sales may suggest otherwise:p

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I and if anyone has not tried SwiftKey, do it NOW. It's free to try. I will never own a phone without it again as far as I can see. The thing is freaking amazing.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Swiftkey is scary. Software should not be allowed to read minds :) Personally I like Swype.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a friend who works for Best Buy head office in Canada and he played with a BB10 phone and said it was very cool. Intuitive and that it felt polished. I hope they can pull off a miracle. My wife might want to try it, but they won't be getting my money. :p

I know I'd be foolish to jump right into BB10. But I am definitely a RIM fanboy, and I really want them to succeed. Its kind of like watching Rocky in the ring - get up, man! Get up! You can do this! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87