Why are there two music players?

crysisandrew

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Just got my galaxy s3 two days ago, so far a decent phone. Seems to be a lot of useless apps on here. Main question is why b are there two music players and what is the OFFICIAL galaxy player? The orange headphones or the music note looking one blue color?
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Google, I think, requires the use of their app in order for the phone to be considered a "Google" device, just like they require gmail, and Google Now (search) and Maps...... And you need their app to access their cloud music service. Samsung wants to include their music app, which probably integrates better with their music service. There really isn't an "official" Galaxy player, there's and official Google player (the orange headphones), though.

crysisandrew

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Ok so what your saying is I should use the blue music player? That's the one that is integrated with other features?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't use the Samsung music app at all. I've disabled it completely so it doesn't even show. The Google Music app will allow you to buy music from the Google Play store and keep it organized on your device, on your pc and in the cloud on Google's Music cloud service. Samsung's own music service is horrible.

I actually prefer to use Amazon's MP3 app for my music needs. Music is usually less expensive per song compared to itunes or Google Music and I can keep it organized across multiple devices. I can also stream music on my pc/mac via Amazon's Cloud Player.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The question should be "Why are there only two music players and why these two?"

I don't use either of these. The great thing about Android is the flexibility. There is no such thing as "the one you should use." I am quite happy to use Apollo or PowerAMP for my local music and other apps for streaming content. Choice is a wonderful thing! Play with a few and use whatever one or combination you find to suit you.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, it really depends on *how* you use your device to listen to music. I use Google's app because I actually use their service and have a decent portion of my music library on Google Play Music. If you're just using it to play files downloaded to your device, it really doesn't matter I'd think, you could use either one of those players, or as epidenimus suggested, install a different one altogether...personal preference.

My guess is that there are 2 builtin with the stock device because Google Play music was still in it's infancy when the S3 was being developed, and at the time it was standard practice for OEMs to include their own music player (because the Google one didn't exist). They may actually still be doing this, I'm not sure, but probably not as necessary any more since Google's music player now gets installed by default with the other Google apps.

Draco Malfoy

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
How do you disable the Google Music App? And is there a way to make Samsung Music Player appear on the lock screen, like Google Music? Please and Thank You!

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
To disable Google Play Music, go to Settings>Apps>Google Play Music. In the upper right corner, choose Uninstall, then Disable. You may want to clear the cache and data first.
I can't help you with the Sammy question.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro...

Kaad_g

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I went though the "uninstall updates" process for Google Play Music, but after that the program disappears, so I'm unable to disable it. Is it under a different name after uninstalling updates?