Update Has Screwed Up 4G

pslinton

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I was having the same problem with 4G turning off and loosing all data signal while my buddy with the same 3S was not. Finally got so mad I called Verizon and the guy that answered didn't acknowledge the problem but he sure knew where to look. He had me go to settings/more settings/mobile networks/network mode. My phone was in Global mode. He had me change it to LTE/CDMA and I haven't had the problem reoccur in the last 6 hours. Checked my buddies phone and his was already set to LTE/CDMA. I have no idea why the upgrade changed my setting and not his but I hope this fixes it.

chefz

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I am having the exact same problem, so very glad to find out its not just me! Ever since I downloaded the update, my 4G connection has been abysmally horribly bad, even the most basic programs won't connect to the Internet (FB, Twitter, Chrome). It's very frustrating. I did check the post before mine, hoping that would be a solution, but sadly no. I already have my settings set to LTE/CDMA. I'm hoping somebody comes up with something to fix this soon! It's impossible to have a smartphone with no data.

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, thank you.
Yes it should be set to LTE/CDMA, the update must have reset it to Global. I'm pretty sure thats the problem.

Will update later after testing.

UPDATE

It looks like changing the network did not work for me, still having the same issue, but it seems to have worked for some.

Here is an article reporting on the problem Verizon Galaxy S3 update killing 4G LTE for some - Android Community

I'm sure that my network was set on LTE/CDMA before the update and the above article states that the Global setting was not default before the update.

At least it's a well documented issue so I'm sure it won't be too long before a fix is found. Will update if I come across any more news.

Last edited:

Silent Patriot

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I was having the same problem with 4G turning off and loosing all data signal while my buddy with the same 3S was not. Finally got so mad I called Verizon and the guy that answered didn't acknowledge the problem but he sure knew where to look. He had me go to settings/more settings/mobile networks/network mode. My phone was in Global mode. He had me change it to LTE/CDMA and I haven't had the problem reoccur in the last 6 hours. Checked my buddies phone and his was already set to LTE/CDMA. I have no idea why the upgrade changed my setting and not his but I hope this fixes it.

I'm fairly certain the setting on the GS3 was previously Global as well - maybe someone who hasn't updated yet can confirm that. Unfortunately, it didn't help here, and actually seems to have made it worse. I changed the setting, shut down, restarted, and it took nearly 2 minutes just to pull a 1x signal with the signal-bar bouncing between 1-3 bars. Warranty replacement devices aren't going to fix this...

tomes1978

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm fairly certain the setting on the GS3 was previously Global as well - maybe someone who hasn't updated yet can confirm that. Unfortunately, it didn't help here, and actually seems to have made it worse. I changed the setting, shut down, restarted, and it took nearly 2 minutes just to pull a 1x signal with the signal-bar bouncing between 1-3 bars. Warranty replacement devices aren't going to fix this...

I have not done the update, and won't until this is fixed! I just checked, and global was selected on mine....

nickf126

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I am a victim of the reported 4G problems as well.
Thinking about this logically, I believe that the 4G problems and the terrible battery life are related. Bad signal= phone constantly searching for a reliable signal=battery drain.
Verizon had better get this fixed quickly, because their high prices should include excellent service.

Posted via Android Central App

Silent Patriot

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I just posted a comment on the Verizon support forum. Hopefully they will become aware of the problem. Maybe you guys should add to that post so that they realize it's not an isolated problem.
Here the link https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/799450, you have to register if you haven't already, to comment.

According to the VZW post, support has acknowledged the issue and is currently looking into it. I called support earlier today and gently but firmly explained that the issue was severely limiting the capability to use our device for anything relying on data. The rep took notes, consulted peers, and warm-transferred me to Samsung, claiming they owned responsibility for the update. I made it clear to them both that they are facing a severe issue that needs to be addressed immediately. I'm expecting to hear news that the update is being pulled until the problem is identified and fixed - this could turn into a nightmare with all the GS3s out there...

Eion

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
My phone was already on CDMA/LTE before the update, still is afterwards. My connection has become spotty as heck. Pages/apps use to load Internet info pretty quick now they take forever

zoyano

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I was noticing this also and glad to hear that I'm not the only one as well. Mine was set to global pre and post update.

Posted via Android Central App

cdmjlt369

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I Was having several issues ( 4g, lag, freezes) after the update. I powered off and removed the sim card. Waited 5 minutes and reinserted the sim card. Restarted into boot mode and did a cache wipe and have had no issues since. Maybe this will help.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I Was having several issues ( 4g, lag, freezes) after the update. I powered off and removed the sim card. Waited 5 minutes and reinserted the sim card. Restarted into boot mode and did a cache wipe and have had no issues since. Maybe this will help.

How do you restart to boot mode and clear the cache?

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Although it is unusual for me on these signal issues as I usually have them, not so in this case. After the update my 4G seems to be working the same as before. I had a Droid Charge that had terrible signal problems, so I got the S3 last summer when it came out. There are several spots in my house where I know I always have 3 bars and a signal around -95 to -100 db and it is still the same. At my office there is a "sweet spot" on my desk that for some reason always has 5 bars when everywhere else is 3, and I still have 5 bars in that spot. I do pull my battery and sim every once in a while as it just seems to keep the phone working better, so maybe the last poster has a point. I also do not have a ton of apps on my phone, just what I need. I suspect there could be an app that is not playing nice with this update. I know many love it but I don't use Juice Defender or any other app to help save power. I'm probably wrong or old fashioned, but it doesn't make sense to me to ADD an app to reduce your power consumption. I have gone through the ALL APPS list in settings and disabled about 30 of them that I don't use. This way I control my phone. I use my phone moderately during the day and almost always still have 50% battery remaining by the time I plug it in and go to bed.

cdmjlt369

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
How do you restart to boot mode and clear the cache?

Power off device
Press and hold volume up, power, and home.
When you see the blue letters at the top let go.
A menu will appear and one of the options is cache wipe.
Scroll down to it with the volume rocker, select it by pressing power
When its done, menu will reappear, select reboot.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Power off device
Press and hold volume up, power, and home.
When you see the blue letters at the top let go.
A menu will appear and one of the options is cache wipe.
Scroll down to it with the volume rocker, select it by pressing power
When its done, menu will reappear, select reboot.

Outstanding! Thank you

jadenoir7

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon and Samsung everyone needs to call and complain it's up to Samsung to fix the problem getting a new sim card to see if that works