Update Has Screwed Up 4G

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It should have been like that out the box. I don't see the advantage of limiting it to only a few apps, most of which like you said people don't use.

I forgot to mention. Here is a list of apks people have modded already, but I suggest you do it yourself because some of the ones on the list are older versions of the app. [APP] Multiwindow Apps - xda-developers

You can use any app backup to get a hold of the apks to mod.

Also, 3rd party developers are also adding the function into their updates. So more and more apps have multi window built in. So when you apply the update it should just appear in your multi window dock.

jadenoir7

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Ive seen a degrade in the 4G service since yesterday as well. I am on my phone a lot at work and I see that I just plain cant get data even though having 2 - 3 bars of service and 4G registering. I can sit here for a long time and get nothing. Reboot the phone and get it back for a while

I just posted a comment on the Verizon support forum. Hopefully they will become aware of the problem. Maybe you guys should add to that post so that they realize it's not an isolated problem.
Here the link https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/799450, you have to register if you haven't already, to comment.

Adam Z

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I was literally just setting up my CLNR that I received because of the screwed up update that killed my data connection when I received a call from a Samsung technician named Brian. He was absolutely fantastic to talk to. He told me first of all that Verizon has pulled the update. He also wanted to send an engineer out to look at my defective phone to try and help pinpoint the problem so they can work on a solution. Unfortunately, I wasn't much help for him since 30 minutes before he called I deactivated the phone.
I can tell you that they are really unhappy that this has happened. They're desperately trying to figure out what's gone wrong and trying to fix it.
It was so nice to actually receive a call from a company. It's about time somebody is proactive!

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I was literally just setting up my CLNR that I received because of the screwed up update that killed my data connection when I received a call from a Samsung technician named Brian. He was absolutely fantastic to talk to. He told me first of all that Verizon has pulled the update. He also wanted to send an engineer out to look at my defective phone to try and help pinpoint the problem so they can work on a solution. Unfortunately, I wasn't much help for him since 30 minutes before he called I deactivated the phone.
I can tell you that they are really unhappy that this has happened. They're desperately trying to figure out what's gone wrong and trying to fix it.
It was so nice to actually receive a call from a company. It's about time somebody is proactive!

Just curious...how did Samsung know to contact you? Did you have an open support call?

Strommer

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I just flashed back to MB1 and phone is back to normal. I'm glad they pulled the update, now my phone won't try to put me back in that Gnex no-connection zone.

rockhopperGS3

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Yea this issue is not caused by that caller id app cause I disabled it right away. As forced Verizon spam it cant be deleted normally. I still barely get service. Verizon tech support is so worthless they wont even admit a problem, first blaming Samsung for the issue... All the normal procedures they use don't work.
WHATS THIS ABOUT PULLING THIS UPDATE CAN THEY DO THAT? When I go to check updates it keeps saying service unavailable. How do you restore it to previous state?
Also if I cant fix it I am screwed because since I have a tiny screen crack I cant exchange it for a new one without paying full price... Even though this update screwed the phone up those aholes at Verizon wont take responsibility. Maybe time to check out the S4 at another phone service. Getting to fed up with constant verizon lies and terrible customer dis-service..

Adam Z

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Yea this issue is not caused by that caller id app cause I disabled it right away. As forced Verizon spam it cant be deleted normally. I still barely get service. Verizon tech support is so worthless they wont even admit a problem, first blaming Samsung for the issue... All the normal procedures they use don't work.
WHATS THIS ABOUT PULLING THIS UPDATE CAN THEY DO THAT? When I go to check updates it keeps saying service unavailable. How do you restore it to previous state?
Also if I cant fix it I am screwed because since I have a tiny screen crack I cant exchange it for a new one without paying full price... Even though this update screwed the phone up those aholes at Verizon wont take responsibility. Maybe time to check out the S4 at another phone service. Getting to fed up with constant verizon lies and terrible customer dis-service..
Rockhopper, For sure at least Samsung is very aware of the issue as they told me last night. I also talked to a Verizon rep yesterday about my CLNR and she was also painfully aware of the issue. All pulling the update means is that nobody else will be able to download it, which of course is little help for those of us that did download it.

lajuan08

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am having the same issues. I contacted Verizon of which they laid the blame on Samsung. I dont understand how they could push out something they didnt test themselves. Poor customer service. We pay too much money for these plans.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Besides the 4G issue which was HUGE to me since I was paying for 4G, it screwed up the volume rendering my Gentle Alarm almost useless, too. The HTC One doesn't have that issue. When Verizon releases that phone, if any of you switch to it, consider yourselves warned. It's loud.

stickmoney

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm also in the same boat and I have a 32 GB S3. I know some ppl were asking. If I don't have wifi on I pretty much have no data at all not even 3G.

Also getting a major battery drain issue as others are having too ugh!

Lets hope an update comes sooner then later

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

JW13#AC

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
For those of you that get a replacement from Verizon, the new phone should not have the update applied (mine didn't). Just don't install it when prompted and you should be fine.

Trilliumknits

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
So I had this problem with the update. I was unable to keep a 3 or 4g data connection for longer than 15 minutes at a time.

Friday after work I spent about 45 minutes with tech support and after running some remote diagnostic program they overnighted me a new phone. I got the new phone up and running last night, the update was installed and everything seems fine so far. Not sure what broke, or why the updated worked on a fresh phone, but all seems well so far.

ETA: My phone seemed better for about a day. It is now back to not having any data at all at my office, where I had 2 bars of 4g previous to this.

Last edited:

Black_1

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, both my wife and I have downloaded the update last night. And we haven't had one issue. I think you guys tinker with your phones too much. That could be part of the problem. 4G doesn't drop, battery life typical and the uodate is as advertised.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Power off device
Press and hold volume up, power, and home.
When you see the blue letters at the top let go.
A menu will appear and one of the options is cache wipe.
Scroll down to it with the volume rocker, select it by pressing power
When its done, menu will reappear, select reboot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

I would like to verify: Is the correct option "wipe cache partition"?

Thanks

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, both my wife and I have downloaded the update last night. And we haven't had one issue. I think you guys tinker with your phones too much. That could be part of the problem. 4G doesn't drop, battery life typical and the uodate is as advertised.

I don't tinker and the update is a POS. First issues I've ever had with an OTA update and they're real. Count yourselves lucky.

Silent Patriot

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

I'm glad you're not having any issues, but please don't try and diminish the problems many of us are experiencing or trying to lay the blame on the messengers. You must be in an area with a very strong LTE signal (4-5 bars) since it seems like the problems are more noticeable in fringe areas seeing 3 or fewer bars.

boatrust1

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
That's a Droid for ya,Cell Phone is simply that,you treat it right,it will treat you right.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Android Central Forums