VZW Unlimited Question

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Had a quick question and hoping somewhere here can give an answer...

I transferred an eligible upgrade with unlimited data to my mom's line, which has a dumb phone, so I can keep my unlimited data. I've got the HTC One activated on her line and my line continues to keep the unlimited data. Do I need to wait a day to switch the phone to my number? Right now when I go to do this online I get a message that the HTC One hasn't been activated yet. Many thanks for any clarification here...

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe you have to wait a day, HOWEVER you might have to leave a data plan on her line for the duration of the contract.

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Had a quick question and hoping somewhere here can give an answer...

I transferred an eligible upgrade with unlimited data to my mom's line, which has a dumb phone, so I can keep my unlimited data. I've got the HTC One activated on her line and my line continues to keep the unlimited data. Do I need to wait a day to switch the phone to my number? Right now when I go to do this online I get a message that the HTC One hasn't been activated yet. Many thanks for any clarification here...

You might just have to call. Ask them to reactivate the dumb phone.

I don't believe you have to wait a day, HOWEVER you might have to leave a data plan on her line for the duration of the contract.

This is untrue.

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Then a loop hole has been found. ;)

Yes sir, since Verizon got rid of Unlimited Data. This is how people have been able to keep it. I'm on unlimited and my contract end date is in 2015.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will give them a call in a few hours when I get back.

I just called them myself. They didn't even require the old ESN number. They pulled it up in their systems and did it themselves. (I was having the same problem you did)

obidos

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Interesting! We have 4 lines including mine. I am the last one with unlimited data and am eligible for an upgrade. All the other a lines are now shared plans. How can I make this work to keep my unlimited data plan?

Posted via Android Central App

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Interesting! We have 4 lines including mine. I am the last one with unlimited data and am eligible for an upgrade. All the other a lines are now shared plans. How can I make this work to keep my unlimited data plan?

Go to VZW.com

Click on Upgrade Device

Click on one of the lines with shared data

Underneath is a 'Transfer Upgrade' button. Click it. Transfer the upgrade from your line with unlimited.

Proceed purchasing the phone. Activate it on the line with the shared data. Wait an hour or so and then put your SIM card (from the unlimited line) into your new phone. Put whatever phone you want back on that shared data line. Boom, done.

Your unlimited account wasn't touched except for renewing your contract end date. You will still have unlimited data.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Go to VZW.com

Click on Upgrade Device

Click on one of the lines with shared data

Underneath is a 'Transfer Upgrade' button. Click it. Transfer the upgrade from your line with unlimited.

Proceed purchasing the phone. Activate it on the line with the shared data. Wait an hour or so and then put your SIM card (from the unlimited line) into your new phone. Put whatever phone you want back on that shared data line. Boom, done.

Your unlimited account wasn't touched except for renewing your contract end date. You will still have unlimited data.

Im pretty sure one of the other lines has to be a dumb phone line-

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Im pretty sure one of the other lines has to be a dumb phone line-

It doesn't have to. People do the dumb phone dummy lines so that they can drop the data plan and only pay 9.99 a month, esentially making it a dummy line. If you just want to transfer an upgrade, you can use the steps above. I guess he can clarify what he wants to do since it really wasn't made clear.

obidos

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
^ sorry, I want to upgrade from my Thunderbolt and keep my unlimited data. Just trying to decide if this method is better than making payments on buying the phone outright.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help on this...I called VZW and had the dumb phone reactivated on my mom's line. Switched from my DNA to the HTC One online, kept unlimited on all lines. Nice...

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Would make sure if you do this you do it fast this loophole is going away once our new system migration to Iconic portal completes over the next few weeks. Because you obviously can't "click" a button in the store so when you do this similar option of an Alternate upgrade and you sign the contract on the line with Unlimited you lose it because you signed the new contract.

karn101

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
^ sorry, I want to upgrade from my Thunderbolt and keep my unlimited data. Just trying to decide if this method is better than making payments on buying the phone outright.

You can transfer your upgrade to one of the other lines.

You have four lines.

Line 1 - Unlimited
Lines 2, 3, 4 - Shares

You currently have four phones

Phones A, B, C, D, for lines 1-4, respectively.

Go to vzw.com

Click on 'Upgrade Device'

Click on line 2.

Click 'Transfer Upgrade' button.

Click 'From' Line 1.

Proceed to checkout. Complete order.

When you get the new phone (phone E), activate it on line 2. If they sent you a new SIM card, use that. Otherwise, the SIM from phone B goes into phone E. Complete activation.

An hour later, put SIM card from phone A into phone E.

You now have the HTC One (phone E) on your line (line 1) because your SIM is attached to the line.

Now, you can either put the SIM from line 2 into phone A (your old one) or phone B (line 2's original phone).

Sell or keep the extra phone.

obidos

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

You have four lines.

Line 1 - Unlimited
Lines 2, 3, 4 - Shares

Go to vzw.com

Click on line 2.

Click 'From' Line 1.

When you get the new phone (phone E), activate it on line 2. If they sent you a new SIM card, use that. Otherwise, the SIM from phone B goes into phone E. Complete activation.

You now have the HTC One (phone E) on your line (line 1) because your SIM is attached to the line.

Now, you can either put the SIM from line 2 into phone A (your old one) or phone B (line 2's original phone).

Thank you! I appreciate the thorough reply.

Willis

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

You have four lines.

Line 1 - Unlimited
Lines 2, 3, 4 - Shares

Go to vzw.com

Click on line 2.

Click 'From' Line 1.

Quick question,

After doing all the sim switching, and your new HTC one is on the unlimited line, does the HTC one show up as your device on the verizon website or does will it still show up as being on line #2.

In my case, I have a gs3 with unlimited, my wife has a droid razr . I transferred my upgrade to her line, ordered the HTC ONE on line. When it arrives, I activate it on her line, and switch the sim from my GS3 into the HTC one. Then put the HTC one sim into my wifes razr correct? When this is all done will the verizon website show her phone as the razr and mine as the HTC one, or will my GS3 still show up as being my phone even tho it's no longer in use? Hope that makes sense.

Willis

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Got the phone today, everything worked as described. New phone and still unlimited. Got the phone for $139 from the Verizon website. Use promo code... verizon30 to get the discount

nocaldawg

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
What if the upgrade I am using is for a feature phone? If I follow this procedure am I actually adding another smartphone to my account?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress