What exactly about ICS is so enticing?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So, I bought my Rezound back in November, and this phone runs well, imo, way better than my Thunderbolt. I don't really have any major issues on my current phone (previous 2 I had to get retail box replacements under my 90 return period for various issues since I bought it from Costco for $50). I am running ICS on my Touchpad, and honestly, yes it's nicer but to me, gb is just fine, everything runs well on my Rezound. There really isn't a feature that I must have that gb doesn't have and ICS has.

I am just curious, for those who want ICS, what is the main reason you wan it? Is it because it is the latest software? Or is there some feature in it that you want? If so, which feature is it? Or perhaps some other reason?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
ICS does have some nice app integration features with various Google apps and now more 3rd party apps as developers learn to take advantage of the newer options.

Like any OS update there is always something new that people want to take advantage of. Personally in my opinion until your device is granted an official update Gingerbread is still more optimized for your device and runs smoother. Not that the leaks/custom ROMs are bad but until there is official source for your device the devs can't fully optimize things as they would like to get the best performance and battery life.

graymonkey44

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
ICS is actually optimized for dual core processors, which, in theory, should have a nice impact on battery life. Also, it utilizes hardware acceleration which will take a load off the processor when rendering 2d images which should also help with battery life and make pages look nicer and load smoother.

I flashed the new RUU, and battery life has been actually worse for me, but I'm rooted and went from BAMF to Scott's CleanROM and I'm noticing better battery life now.

I personally think ICS feels a lot smoother than GB and there's just little things that I notice that make it better. Like animations when you scroll to the end of something and there's a little blue animation that signifies the end of the page. It just little things like that that I enjoy about ICS.

Personally, though, I'd take smoothness over a new OS anytime. Before the Software update, the ICS ROMS were not very smooth and battery life was pretty bad. So bad I went back to GB. Now that the ICS ROMS are so smooth, I have no need to go back to GB.

Reactions: skatergirl

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Alright, alright. My turn. Three words....face unlock feature. Good? No good?
What about "bloat freeze ability?"

Hell, I like the theme & colors more than anything else. That UI is sexy looking.

I would also like to know if that face unlock feature is good.

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I have experienced bettery battery life for sure with ics and my phone runs a whole lot smoother. It is great! I have had no issues and I like the fact I can use Google chrome browser and some other ics only Apps. I have used faced unlock and it does work. I had coworkers and family members try to get into my phone and it never let them. It has worked each time with me. With glasses on and without. Darker rooms and outside. It worked well. I think its a cool feature. This is coming from a stock HTC vivid. I though I would give my experience even though it is on another device. Overall you will be happy with ics. I know I am.

Reactions: skatergirl

Vito2000

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Bloat freeze ability is awesome. You can "disable" any app. Disabled apps no longer run at all and they don't show up in the app tray. Goodbye Verizon crap apps.

I used face unlock for a couple of days and got tired of it. I have never used extra security before (no pin or pattern unlock) so I think I was also trying to get used to the extra security step, which bothered me. It worked well though, so if your interested in that it's cool.

I can confirm that battery life is better on 4G. I don't really use 3G so I can't comment there.

Sense 3.6 feels largely the same except that we now have a customizable dock bar, which is very nice. A drawback there is that the shortcuts on the lockscreen are not really changeable anymore. Instead they are the same as what's in the dockbar. I would definitely use different lockscreen shortcuts if I could. :-(

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I personally think ICS feels a lot smoother than GB and there's just little things that I notice that make it better. Like animations when you scroll to the end of something and there's a little blue animation that signifies the end of the page. It just little things like that that I enjoy about ICS.

Actually the overscroll animation started in Gingerbread. But I'm guessing HTC removed it when the put in Sense.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Coming from WebOS, what I'm looking forward to is Matias Duarte's touch on the OS. In particular, I'm looking forward to multitasking that actually works, smoothly, rather than the close-and-reopen clunkiness that I'm experiencing with 2.3.4.

ac295

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I think the browser is awesome....much better than the GB browser or any aftermarket browser I have seen.

I also like the running app drawer...long pressing home and returning to another app you were using.

Folders are nice too....at first I didn't know why everyone was raving about them until I started using them.

In my opinion ICS is a greater improvement on GB than GB was to Froyo.

chucknine

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I think the browser is awesome....much better than the GB browser or any aftermarket browser I have seen.

I also like the running app drawer...long pressing home and returning to another app you were using.

Folders are nice too....at first I didn't know why everyone was raving about them until I started using them.

In my opinion ICS is a greater improvement on GB than GB was to Froyo.

Unless I'm confused I already have those on my stock rezound besides the new browser.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I would also like to know if that face unlock feature is good.

It works fine when there is enough light. We almost needs a from facing flash now .

Yes you can Defeat it with a picture, but you can also unlock a pattern lock by looking at the finger trail.

Folders are way better in ics than other launchers. (Go, sense etc..)

Battery life is such, that I don't use my extended battery anymore. 3 hours of screen on time on a standard battery.

I don't have to complain about waiting for HTC and Verizon.

Stock browser is nice, but ice+ browser is the same with added features. Its super.

And last, but not least, it makes the rezound officially the best phone out now.

rhauer

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
The ability to scroll through open programs. I have a Pre now and desperately need a new phone. Multitasking on WebOs was soooooooooo good. ICS seems a little closer

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The ability to scroll through open programs. I have a Pre now and desperately need a new phone. Multitasking on WebOs was soooooooooo good. ICS seems a little closer

Not the same as scrolling, but in GB, holding down the home button will list the last 8 apps open. This is also shown in the notification bar.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo