Global??

mouth1

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Thought this upgrade was also going to allow this phone to be Global? Based on the settings it doesn't look like that happened, because in Settings=>Network Settings you can only choose LTE/CDMA or CDMA only.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Can you get to the hidden settings menu? *#*#4636#*#* phone information link has all the radio settings. Not sure you can still get to this menu though.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
same old fashioned way works, use "lte onoff " app from the Play store and select the wcdma preferred.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Word on the street is global will come later this year in another update.

Apparently, Verizon said it. I don't have a source link handy.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Just hung up with a woman at Verizon Global. She wasn't a tech, just their front line person, but said she had set up many people to use their Verizon phone overseas. She had heard nothing of the Rezound firmware update. According to her, one can fly overseas, buy a SIM there, give Verizon a call to change some setting, and the usage will have nothing to do with the Verizon global service or rates. Something is fishy about this, I wonder, whether somehow one's usage will roll back to Verizon, resulting in their humongous bill.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Still no cigar. :( Put in my global SIM, changed the network setting, and connected to AT&T. But nothing really changed: I was able to make and receive calls, receive texts, but not send texts out. So what was "enabled" yesterday with the firmware update?

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I thought AT&T bands were deliberately blocked.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I don't know why or how, but AT&T appeared at the top. Maybe it's a function of that particular global card, as it did the same when used in my old Blackberry.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I had heard the AT&T "bands" were blocked, but the global OTA ROM works with an Straight Talk SIM and other pre-paid GSM SIMs in the US... Just insert the SIM, set the APN information, and toggle the radio mode and it works, although from the few people I have seen who have tried it the radios seem very "weak" compared to other HTC devices when accessing AT&T's network, and speeds are very low on the stock ROM. This can be overcome with a CDMA/GSM ROM like Tron, Infection, Pac-Man, MIUI, or a handful of others that are now stable and extremely usable as daily driver ROMs with much increased performance and battery life, native WiFi tethering, and much more.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to sound so dense, but what exactly is the APN information and how is it set/reset? I just spoke w/ a guy from VZW Global and, according to him, to use the VZW network overseas just the radio mode needs to be switched to GSM. He said that, otherwise, I'd need to contact the source of my Global SIM for any special instructions.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The VZW guy is talking about using your Verizon phone as a Verizon Global ROAMING phone, which requires you to do nothing, but that isn't really "global"... the phone is unlocked, it has to be (by law, I think), so to use it on another carrier you will need a valid SIM card from that carrier, insert it into the phone and your phone will now be on that network (AT&T or whatever) as soon as you switch the radio mode to GSM or Global... then to use mobile data (and MMS) you need to set the APN information, which is under the GSM setting in Mobile Networks. Each carrier uses their own APN settings, and should provide that too you or a simple Google search will come up with most of them.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
The VZW guy is talking about using your Verizon phone as a Verizon Global ROAMING phone, which requires you to do nothing, but that isn't really "global"... the phone is unlocked, it has to be (by law, I think), so to use it on another carrier you will need a valid SIM card from that carrier, insert it into the phone and your phone will now be on that network (AT&T or whatever) as soon as you switch the radio mode to GSM or Global... then to use mobile data (and MMS) you need to set the APN information, which is under the GSM setting in Mobile Networks. Each carrier uses their own APN settings, and should provide that too you or a simple Google search will come up with most of them.

So, if I understood you correctly, one has to contact each carrier when moving from country to country with a Global SIM? In the meantime, the VZW guy gave me no clue as to why the outgoing texts didn't work. In fact, I have a vague recollection that the very same thing XDA people were saying before the last OTA, that they could get everything work except outgoing texts.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
So, if I understood you correctly, one has to contact each carrier when moving from country to country with a Global SIM? In the meantime, the VZW guy gave me no clue as to why the outgoing texts didn't work. In fact, I have a vague recollection that the very same thing XDA people were saying before the last OTA, that they could get everything work except outgoing texts.
Maybe I didn't explain it well... to Verizon Global Mode means something different than to the rest of us, for VZW's Global Mode you need a VERIZON SIM that basically allows roaming on their global network partners and uses the GSM radio in conjunction with your existing SIM card, existing phone number, and you pay Verizon for services used...

To the rest of us, Global Mode means you can use a SIM from another carrier, for example picking up a GSM pre-paid SIM at an airport in London, swapping it out and setting the APN information in the phone, and you get a new local phone number and use and PAY a different carrier (basically an unlocked phone) for service, not Verizon.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I didn't explain it well... to Verizon Global Mode means something different than to the rest of us, for VZW's Global Mode you need a VERIZON SIM that basically allows roaming on their global network partners and uses the GSM radio in conjunction with your existing SIM card, existing phone number, and you pay Verizon for services used...

To the rest of us, Global Mode means you can use a SIM from another carrier, for example picking up a GSM pre-paid SIM at an airport in London, swapping it out and setting the APN information in the phone, and you get a new local phone number and use and PAY a different carrier (basically an unlocked phone) for service, not Verizon.

I completely understand the difference. Of course, I've been talking about the latter. And the question still is: where exactly does one get the APN information having bought a pristinely white SIM from an outfit in Florida?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I completely understand the difference. Of course, I've been talking about the latter. And the question still is: where exactly does one get the APN information having bought a pristinely white SIM from an outfit in Florida?
You really need to know the carrier... With a GSM SIM installed in the Rezound, go to Settings->Mobile Networks->GSM/UMTS Options->Access Point Names and press the Menu Button and select New APN and set the fields accordingly. Again, you need to know the carrier for the card!

For some ideas, look here: Internet Settings / APN Settings / MMS Settings or this app in the Play Store: Offline SIM APN Database

As far as finding out more about the SIM itself and who the carrier maybe, there are any number of apps in the Play Store, just search for "SIM info" or something similar and find the MCC and MCN or SIM Operator code (Usually the MCC+MCN giving you a 5 or 6 digit number) and you can look it up in any of several databases like this one: Number Portability Lookup | Realtime Carrier Lookup | HLR Lookup