Cleaning your music

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
So I had a bit of a eureka moment today, and I'm trying it out right now. So I got some old CD's that I've ripped, and needless to say, the ripping has not lead to the greatest copy of said music (many years in a car). A few months ago, the courts said cloud based music services could store only 1 copy of a file, instead of 50 copies of the same file for 50 people. I'm not sure if Amazon has started this, but I think they have, as they are "upgrading" Mp3 purchased to 256kps "high" quality files for free. So, I'm uploading all my tunes as we speak to Amazon's cloud (got a free upgrade to a 20gb cloud last year) to see if it will clean my crappy Mp3's.

I'm hoping it works, or if it doesn't, it's because they just have not flipped the switch on the new rules. Anybody try this yet, or have any insight? I'll find out in the morning, it takes forever to upload 20gb. Now that I think about it, I should have just picked a song that skipped, and scene what happened.... what an dumb dumb.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
How's it going?

On a related topic, can you download from google music? I cannot figure out how to get my music down from the cloud to clean it up

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, like a boss, I thought the laptop was plugged in, but the power strip was shut off...

You trying to download it to your phone, or back to your computer? Mine seems to be downloading just fine back to the computer.

mikeytg1024

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
How's it going?

On a related topic, can you download from google music? I cannot figure out how to get my music down from the cloud to clean it up

On a computer, you can download songs from the web music player or download everything from the google music manager (double click on the headphones tray icon). I don't think that you can download directly to the phone, other than selecting "keep on device".

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
The problem with your theory is this. You can name an MP3 anything you want, make it the proper file size, update the ID3 tags and all but unless amazon did a bit for bit comparison(that would fail even if you took the file right from their server) there's no way to say your Ricky Martin song is the same as the Ricky Martin song they have on their servers. So good idea but it will never work.

More on topic, get a better ripping program. If you're not ripping at 192k you're program isn't doing something right.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I've already tried this with some of my music. I had previously uploaded about 70 songs that weren't purchased from Amazon. 19 of those were automatically upgraded and added to an "upgraded music" playlist.

Since the introduction of this matching service I've uploaded about a dozen songs and half of them have been upgraded when I downloaded them back to the computer (and they don't get added to that playlist.)

It would be nice if it upgraded them all, but I'm happy w/ the improved tracks I've received. Some of them were downloads I bought a decade ago with DRM and I copied them to CD and then ripped them back to unlocked MP3 files.

As you can imagine the Amazon replacement tracks sound much better than the original double-compressed files I had!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38