4G: Verizon vs. AT&T

unglued94ta

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
AT&T also refers to their HSPA+ network as 4G. In their minds they have 2 different 4G networks, not just LTE. That's why they have the only iPhone in the world that says 4G on its network indicator.

Let me preface this by saying I hate apple and idevices.

The att 4s is the only one with dual antennas and is capable of 14mb HSPA+. Sprint and Verizon's are only capable of 7mb.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums

Buickman

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
AT&T also refers to their HSPA+ network as 4G. In their minds they have 2 different 4G networks, not just LTE. That's why they have the only iPhone in the world that says 4G on its network indicator.

Buickman

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Let me preface this by saying I hate apple and idevices.

The att 4s is the only one with dual antennas and is capable of 14mb HSPA+. Sprint and Verizon's are only capable of 7mb.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums

Except that if you were going to call HSPA+ 4G it was kind of an unspoken rule that it had to be at least 21mb HSPA+.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Except that if you were going to call HSPA+ 4G it was kind of an unspoken rule that it had to be at least 21mb HSPA+.

Att considers 14.4 to be 4g.

The veer 4g was released way before the 4s and was considered 4g

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384959,00.asp

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
At&t is counting there HSPA+ as 4G. Verizon is miles ahead of AT&T when it comes to LTE so At&t is just counting HSPA+ as 4G as a marketing gimmick.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
If we are going to be technical about it... Nobody has a true 4g network. Minimum standards set back in the day were 100mps for 4g. So really, Att has just as much a right to call their fast 3g, 4g as much as Verizon, who calls there slow ass LTE 4g.

tarnak

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
If we are going to be technical about it... Nobody has a true 4g network. Minimum standards set back in the day were 100mps for 4g. So really, Att has just as much a right to call their fast 3g, 4g as much as Verizon, who calls there slow ass LTE 4g.

I was going to post the same thing, they all call their next latest and greatest system 2g, 3g and now 4g, its system hardware generation as far they are concerned, and not the speeds that they will never reach any time soon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

att is calling devices as low as 14.4 to be 4G. Verizon calls 72 to be 4g. granted, neither are 100, but 72 is a lot closer to 100 than 14.4. With that said, the argument is kinda moot for most people,if you are really getting 8mbps plus, for basic browsing and e-mail, 8mbps or 100mbps is not really going to make much of a real difference, unless you are transferring large files.

One big difference is that att starts throttling 4g at 3gb, Verizon does not throttle their 4g.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
att is calling devices as low as 14.4 to be 4G. Verizon calls 72 to be 4g. granted, neither are 100, but 72 is a lot closer to 100 than 14.4. With that said, the argument is kinda moot for most people,if you are really getting 8mbps plus, for basic browsing and e-mail, 8mbps or 100mbps is not really going to make much of a real difference, unless you are transferring large files.

One big difference is that att starts throttling 4g at 3gb, Verizon does not throttle their 4g.

Except nobody gets 72. I've hit 25 up and down in Omaha, in Denver never got over 10. And 100 was the minimum for a car driving, in a house 4g is 1gps. I think I saw a screen shot of a guy that hit over 60. We need to be begging for lower latency, that will make pages load faster. Nothing but the current generation of phones would be able to take advantage of any of this, as just the computing power of all but the newest high end phones is lacking.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Depends on where you are, I have gone over 60mbps several times (though just once on my rezound). I see 40mbps range almost every day.

Except nobody gets 72. I've hit 25 up and down in Omaha, in Denver never got over 10. And 100 was the minimum for a car driving, in a house 4g is 1gps. I think I saw a screen shot of a guy that hit over 60. We need to be begging for lower latency, that will make pages load faster. Nothing but the current generation of phones would be able to take advantage of any of this, as just the computing power of all but the newest high end phones is lacking.