Charger port worn out..go with refurb??

nneptune

May 22, 2010
Visit site
My Rezound has worked perfectly since day 1. However, from constant plugging and unplugging of the charger, the port on the phone has worn down. It won't charge with a car charger at all anymore and I can only get it to charge by using the USB port on my laptop to the phone. Otherwise I can't get any cord to charge. I have no idea why only that way of charging works.
The main thing, though, is that the phone is still under warranty and Verizon will replace it with a refurb. I never trust refurbs, so I haven't swapped it out. Figured I could get a charging mat. But that doesn't help me when I'm on the run. Again...the phone itself works perfectly. I've never had any issues, except for the port I wore out. So, based on experience, would you trust a refurb? I hate to give up a phone that has always been reliable. What to do? I'm not sure. I'm just looking for your input. Thanks...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Refurbished are good if you get a good one, I have been thru three refurbished Droid Incredible 2s. The third one I got was the best looking one. But the worst on the term of software crashes every once and awhile. On the the first two both had big piles of dust under the screen. The second one had scratches on the battery cover. It really on luck if you get a good one or not. Most are in really bad condition. I just complained and sent back for a different one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

neptune5

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
HTC said they would fix the problem for free, but that means sending it to them and waiting for it to get back. Don't know if I could go weeks without a phone, though. I've had a cell phone of one type or another in my pockets since 1995... I'd feel lost!

i just noticed that I have 2 accounts on this site. That's odd.:eek:

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
kinda luck of the draw. some refurbs are good, others not so much. but you have 5 days to return a phone (either your current or the refurb you just got), so why not get it and test it out for 5 days, and return the one which is worse? you won't be out any money as verizon pays for shipping both ways.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I had issues with the Thunderbolt and was offered a refurbished Rezound. It has been perfect

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
They offer you a rezound when i complained about my Incredible 2 all they did was keep sending me CLN replacements of the same phone. Never once did they offer me another phone as a CLN replacement.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

geronimo48

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried using a micro cable rather than the one that came with the phone? The port is designed to accept both the original cable and an A to Micro B USB cable.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would recommend getting it replaced now before it really goes bad. Normally carrier/OEM will cover a bad USB port as long as the solder connections holding it to the board haven't been broken. Once that happens they consider it abuse and your responsibility to pick up the cost of repairing it.

Normally that is the next step, you have recognized there is a problem with the port and that is when most start to wiggle and play with the connection and eventually those tiny little solder connections give out from the abnormal wiggling and movement of the USB cable trying to establish a charging/connection.

nneptune

May 22, 2010
Visit site
well, the charger port went totally dead. I have to get through the day, so I picked up an external battery charger.
I still have the option of getting the refurb. If this phone wasn't pretty flawless (except for the port), I would go with the refurb immediately.
But I've got this external charger, a slim (so it fits like the original battery) extended battery and the stock battery.
Maybe that would do fine. Then again, long trips, etc could cause a problem since the charger port doesn't work. What to do.
I hate to give this thing up.... especially knowing they could send me junk!

nneptune

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I just talked to the most honest Verizon rep out there. She said that if the phone is still operating flawlessly, and I have 2 batteries and an external charger, that i should just keep the phone. The warranty is still good until December. She said, "I'll be honest with you... A lot of the refurbished models we send out are pure garbage. I would keep your phone, swap batteries when you need to and if anything goes wrong with it before December, THEN you might switch it out. I don't trust the refurbished phones we send out! Seems like we get a lot more returned than kept..."

Okay then. I'll keep my Rezound and just use the external battery port...which is exactly what @Synycalwon wrote above! Thanks for opinions and help. And yes I have tried other cords with it. It's the port that is just worn down completely...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm who's this Paul guy and why is he in our Sub Forum! I thought we kicked all the AC people off our Island :D

I have immunity so says that badge under my name ;)

One day you may look to me to get you off this island and your " 3 hour tour " gone bad.. Gilligan :p

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I just talked to the most honest Verizon rep out there. She said that if the phone is still operating flawlessly, and I have 2 batteries and an external charger, that i should just keep the phone. The warranty is still good until December. She said, "I'll be honest with you... A lot of the refurbished models we send out are pure garbage. I would keep your phone, swap batteries when you need to and if anything goes wrong with it before December, THEN you might switch it out. I don't trust the refurbished phones we send out! Seems like we get a lot more returned than kept..."

Okay then. I'll keep my Rezound and just use the external battery port...which is exactly what @Synycalwon wrote above! Thanks for opinions and help. And yes I have tried other cords with it. It's the port that is just worn down completely...

Looking at the other side of the coin, you may have the laziest csr there. she will say anything so she doesn't have to order a refurb for you.

anyway, so long as you are ok with using an external charger, hey, why change it? But whatever you do, should you want to warranty it, do so before the warranty expires.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have immunity so says that badge under my name ;)

One day you may look to me to get you off this island and your " 3 hour tour " gone bad.. Gilligan :p

I'm a Rezound Forum for Life All the other sections just want to have a mines better then yours party.. Rezounders don't

ChrisAkaOpie

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Recently, my charging port took a crap. Ive been able to use a different charger though. If the port went bad, but then I dropped my phone, cracking the screen and a part of the LCD, will Verizon still send a replacement due to the port messing up (I have insurance and that is a manufacturers defect)? Or, will they see the phone and think I sent it back because I didnt want a cracked screen and end up making me pay for the phone?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Recently, my charging port took a crap. Ive been able to use a different charger though. If the port went bad, but then I dropped my phone, cracking the screen and a part of the LCD, will Verizon still send a replacement due to the port messing up (I have insurance and that is a manufacturers defect)? Or, will they see the phone and think I sent it back because I didnt want a cracked screen and end up making me pay for the phone?

Since you have insurance, just get them to replace the phone because of the cracked screen through insurance.

If you sent it in for warranty though Verizon, there is a good chance they would charge you a lot due to the cracked screen

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

diarmot

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I experienced the same problem, the charging port simply gave out, wouldn't charge and also would not sync. I went thru one replacement phone that had a very flaky problem but the next one works perfectly. I think you should ultimately get a replacement phone if you have insurance. Yes, it can be some trouble but I wouldn't want to be stuck with a defective phone, particularly if Verizon actually will no longer will help underwrite the cost of a new phone after your contract runs out and you're not ready to shell out 600-700$ for a new phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87