Wireless Tether

rquarles

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Is there a wireless or blue tooh tether for a stock thunderbolt? I just got a nookcolor and would love to use it to connect to the internet through my phone but cant find a cable connecting 2 micro ports nor do I want to pay a monthly fee. Thanks!

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Is there a wireless or blue tooh tether for a stock thunderbolt? I just got a nookcolor and would love to use it to connect to the internet through my phone but cant find a cable connecting 2 micro ports nor do I want to pay a monthly fee. Thanks!

the only way to tether for free is to root your thunderbolt voiding your warenty. if you dont mind rooting then u can get what you want. other wise your out of luck if you want to stay stock

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I've been tethering to my laptop for free ever since I got my ol' Droid Eris and I'm planning to get the Thunderbolt soon. But my tethering IS my internet. So - stupid question, perhaps - but by "not free" do you mean paying for the tethering service with VZ or paying for a tethering app? If it's paying for the app then I've got no problem because I've already bought the app (Easy Tether). If it's paying for the tethering service thru VZ, then no way. They've got me paying for enough already! My Eris is rooted (the only way I've made it last this long!) and would certainly root the Thunderbolt if I get it, but probably not while I'm still within the return period.

Last edited:

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
................cough cough.....PDAnet.....

Can EasyTether or PDAnet work, wired or wireless, on a stock TBolt? I plan to root but won't have time for a few weeks, most likely, and my cell phone is currently my only at-home internet connection for my laptop.

The T-Bolt doesn't have a built-in WiFi hot-spot? Thought most of the new phones did....

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Can EasyTether or PDAnet work, wired or wireless, on a stock TBolt? I plan to root but won't have time for a few weeks, most likely, and my cell phone is currently my only at-home internet connection for my laptop.

The T-Bolt doesn't have a built-in WiFi hot-spot? Thought most of the new phones did....
The tbolt bas a built in WiFi hotspot but its no free

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
So if I root (which I have no problem doing, once I get the time) then I can tether for free, correct? Can the WiFi hotspot be activated without charge when rooted or is that a locked feature?

spartanguy81

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
With root, you can wirelessly tether using wireless tether. Without root, you can use an usb cord to tether using easy tether, but I don't think you could tether your tablet.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So if I root (which I have no problem doing, once I get the time) then I can tether for free, correct? Can the WiFi hotspot be activated without charge when rooted or is that a locked feature?

After you root you will need a program such as barnacle free hotspot. to get a rooted user hotspot program that bypasses VZW's charges ($30/month) you have to switch your device to wifi (vzw blocks tethering apps in the market on their network)

If you are not rooted/Stock but dont want to pay $30/Month you can get Easyteather from the market for One payment of $10 or $5 on Amazon app store but you will have to use a cable as this does not support wireless tethering.
* I am unsure about this apps compatibly with your Nook. you may want to contact the app developer to find out before you pay.

good luck.

Reactions: Forgetful

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I got my Tbolt today (love it!) and downloaded EasyTether ($9.99, one time) and am now tethered and using the 4G (wired, but still tethered) - and without root. FYI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sergio1