Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Pretty good member

Global Posts
    917 Global Posts

Default SwiftKey X Free on Amazon Today

Highly recommend it! The AI predictive capability is so much better than anything else I've used. Can oftentimes type with only one or two clicks per word.

But note that the word predictions are currently disabled for the HTC email app on the ThunderBolt. This was a quick fix for the predicted words blocking the text box in landscape mode on some screens. They are now aware of the problem and actually received a ThunderBolt today to test on (they are in England). I think the fix should be very easy because the predicted words are no longer blocking the text box when typing in the Subject line of emails in landscape mode.

In the meantime, the predictive capability still works great in Gmail, TouchDown (for MS Exchange), the Comcast Xfinity app, etc.

Thanks, Robrecht
    Thanked by 4:
    Slapnpop826, SoDev and dpham00 like this.

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 RC1.2

Default Re: SwiftKey X Free on Amazon Today

It is a great keyboard. You guys should definitely snag it up. I already had the paid version anyway. Probably my favorite non-swypeable keyboard, but FlexT9 (which was also a free download at one point) is my go to due to being the best jack of all trades keyboard.
    -SoDev

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts

I agree. I had the beta. Best keyboard I have ever put my fingers on. I paid 2 bucks for it. Get it and try it out. You will love it. Makes my Bolt even sexier.

Global Posts
    2,047 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I will have to snag this.

Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    Highly recommend it! The AI predictive capability is so much better than anything else I've used. Can oftentimes type with only one or two clicks per word.

But note that the word predictions are currently disabled for the HTC email app on the ThunderBolt. This was a quick fix for the predicted words blocking the text box in landscape mode on some screens. They are now aware of the problem and actually received a ThunderBolt today to test on (they are in England). I think the fix should be very easy because the predicted words are no longer blocking the text box when typing in the Subject line of emails in landscape mode.

In the meantime, the predictive capability still works great in Gmail, TouchDown (for MS Exchange), the Comcast Xfinity app, etc.

Thanks, Robrecht
    the swiftkey problem in the stock htc mail app is why i switched to k9. i probably won't switch back, even if the problem is fixed though, since i think k9 is a better interface for my needs, and loads faster, and more customizable.

I do agree that the AI on swiftkey is great. btw, in case you guys haven't used it, the gestures are pretty useful, gesture down on the keyboard to close it (you can also long press the menu key), and gesture right to left to delete the last word. you can also gesture upward to switch between lower case, upper case, and caps lock. the options has some nice customizations as well. By default, the space completes the word, I set it back to space only being a space.

had the beta, but unistalled just yesterday. love that it is free. grabbing it now!

Just downloaded.

FYI There are NETWORK ERRORS during language setup - keep trying and it will go through. Looks like their servers are getting hammered today.

Quote Originally Posted by willdogs View Post
    Just downloaded.

FYI There are NETWORK ERRORS during language setup - keep trying and it will go through. Looks like their servers are getting hammered today.
    yeah, download language is very very slow and had errors, but went through. normally, language pack would download quickly.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

beat me to it. Does anyone know how to remove the SwiftKeyx icon from the menubar bar on what TOP left? Thanks

ROM
    Stock/BAMF Forever1.10

Damn shame they need a credit card # to get free stuff. Seems stupid. I gave up on credit cards don't use them or have any desire to use them. Guess I'll have to pass on this one.

Great keyboard... I bought it a couple weeks ago when they had the $1.99 deal. It's been my primary keyboard for a couple months now.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by rcmarks314 View Post
    Damn shame they need a credit card # to get free stuff. Seems stupid. I gave up on credit cards don't use them or have any desire to use them. Guess I'll have to pass on this one.
    you can use a debit card as well, many banks will give those out free, though i never use it because of the potential security problems. you can also do some rebates, look for the ones that give you debit cards.
    Thanked by:
    Geek Freak

Global Posts
    503 Global Posts

Worth every penny, even if it's free today. Fantastic keyboard!

Transmitted on 4G LTE from my Thunderbolt, using Tapatalk
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1

ROM
    Stock/BAMF Forever1.10

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    you can use a debit card as well, many banks will give those out free, though i never use it because of the potential security problems. you can also do some rebates, look for the ones that give you debit cards.
    I didn't think of using the rebate card. Thanx. I do have debit too but for the same reason as you I would never use it. Used the Verizon card I got for a rebate last year. Once again many thanx.

I have the smart keyboard Pro and like it a lot
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

I've used the old version as well as the X beta. Predictive typing is a good idea and can work reasonably well. But I go back to other keyboards because of two issues:

1. I haven't been able to add words to the dictionary. There are words that I type regularly that I have to completely spell out every time because Swiftkey refuses to learn/recognize them.

2. I write in English and Spanish. Swiftkey's "automatic detection" doesn't work nearly as well as a dedicated option would.

Global Posts
    2,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Nightly 148

yeah, download language is very very slow and had errors, but went through. normally, language pack would download quickly.
    I have a feeling Swiftkey's servers are being swamped today, hence the slow language pack download. I got my Swiftkey X from the market and language pack downloads have always been nice and fast. I'm sure things will be back to normal tomorrow.
    Rooted Droid Incredible
    +CM7
    +MIUI Camrea
    +ADW Launcher EX
    +Launcher2
    +Vignette
    +Synergy Theme
    +Blue Gingerbread ADW Theme
    +Nexus One Boot Animation
    +Widgets. Lots of widgets.
    =Pure awesome.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    Pretty good member

Global Posts
    917 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nater View Post
    ... 2. I write in English and Spanish. Swiftkey's "automatic detection" doesn't work nearly as well as a dedicated option would.
    I also write occasionally in French, German and Dutch but usually only have it set on one language at a time. Now that the press for foreign characters is working again, this is an acceptable compromise for me.

Thanks, Robrecht
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    Pretty good member

Global Posts
    917 Global Posts

the swiftkey problem in the stock htc mail app is why i switched to k9. i probably won't switch back, even if the problem is fixed though, since i think k9 is a better interface for my needs, and loads faster, and more customizable. ...
    It seems like that should be an easy fix and I'm encouraged that they finally obtained a ThunderBolt today (they're in England) to work on this.

I too tried K9 but IIRC it had the same problem that the earlier version of SwiftKey had, namely, I couldn't see what I was typing in landscape mode in the stock HTC email app.

Thanks, Robrecht

I also write occasionally in French, German and Dutch but usually only have it set on one language at a time. Now that the press for foreign characters is working again, this is an acceptable compromise for me.

Thanks, Robrecht
    So you go into the program settings and disable the other languages in order to change? Do you have to re-download language packs that way?

Sorry for a noob question but how do I get this app when the amazon app store isn't compatible I'm rooted. Thanks for the help in advance.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I wish I could find a keyboard app with a keyboard that looks must like the d1 keyboard except with the longpress alternatives added. I tried several keyboard apps but never found a skin I liked as much as the d1. I had trouble reading swiftkeyx in sunlight. I did like its predictive ability.

Quote Originally Posted by yodatom10 View Post
    I will have to snag this.
    That makes 551! Lol
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  
    Pretty good member

Global Posts
    917 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nater View Post
    So you go into the program settings and disable the other languages in order to change? Do you have to re-download language packs that way?
    Download the languages you want and keep them. Don't need to download every time you switch languages. When you want to switch or add a language, tap the settings key to the left of the spacebar and comma keys, Settings, Language profile, Language, and check the language(s) you want and uncheck the ones you don't want. AI predictions are especially helpful if your Spanish is a little rusty. The fewer languages you have checked at any given time, the more efficient the predictive process.

Thanks, Robrecht

Download the languages you want and keep them. Don't need to download every time you switch languages. When you want to switch or add a language, tap the settings key to the left of the spacebar and comma keys, Settings, Language profile, Language, and check the language(s) you want and uncheck the ones you don't want. AI predictions are especially helpful if your Spanish is a little rusty. The fewer languages you have checked at any given time, the more efficient the predictive process.

Thanks, Robrecht
    I'd put up with the switching-languages process if it could add my words to its dictionary. Any tips on that one?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast