Thunderbolt not charging

sdhakko

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
My thunderbolt's charger suddenly went bad. I would plug it in at night and now it will say that it is charging, but after a full night of charging it hasn't moved or is a little bit lower than when I plugged it in. However when I plug it into my old LG charger, it charges fine. Has anyone else had any problems with their HTC charger? Wondering if I am the only one. Also wondering if there is any sort of fix out there. Really not looking forward to unrooting and taking it in to VZW. Thanks!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
don't need to unroot, just call verizon, explain the situation (htc charger didn't work, another charger did), and they'll probably send you a charger under warranty w/o.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I second that...heck, even if they did want me to bring it in, I'd rather just pay the $15 (or whatever) for a new charger than go through the hassle of unrooting. Either way, I doubt they would.

I've had a similar situation before with my old BlackBerry, I just went into the store and explained the situation and they gave me a new charger. If they ask to actually see your phone, just tell em you don't have it with you, and if they give any guff, I'd probably just bite bullet and buy a new charger (like I said, the price of a new charger is worth less to me than having to unroot and re-root...you may feel differently).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you want to outright buy one, get the Palm charger for $5 (or $3.75 with employee discount), free shipping. It is 5V/1A, just like stock. I've been using it on my Thunderbolt and works just like the stock HTC charger.

Set Your Location

sdhakko

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh wow. Thanks guys I didn't even think about calling and having them send me one. I might try that route. And if that doesn't work maybe I can try going into the store and not bringing the phone, but maybe just the charger, I would think that they would be good with that. Thanks guys!

mcs1990

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Another option you have if you end up going to the store is to just bring the charger. If the charger is broken, it shouldn't work on any phone regardless of rooted/unrooted or htc/other.

sdhakko

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
So I called in and support wants me to go into the store to look at it and give me a replacement. But she wants me to bring the phone and charger... I think I will just go in with the charger and see what I can get them to do. I mean they shouldn't make a big deal, it's like a $10 charger, but I want what a paid for! :D

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Probably just the cable end.

I made a charger for my motorcycle. Eventually, when I plugged it in, it would show it was charging, but it really wasn't. I replaced the cable and it fixed it. Eventually, the second cable did the same thing. It turned out that the way I was unplugging it bent the micro USB plug a little. I took some flat pliers and squeezed the plug. Problem solved. (basically, try to make the thin connector a little thinner then it is)

Of course in this case, you should get a new one.

sdhakko

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
So just an update and fyi: I took just my charger into the vzw store, they tested it and ended up giving me a Verizon brand one, that is 9 ft long!! So if your stock HTC charger quits on you guys, take it in (just the charger if you are rooted) and they should swap it out for you with a 9 footer. I can like charge my phone from across the room now if I want!

Also a little side note, the vzw guys were bashing iPhone pretty bad while I was in there, it was funny. I guess the iPhone's charging cables are like 2 ft long... Good times.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87